Two full backs not good enough

From the 5 games I’ve been to this season I’d say there was only one game where I’d blame Leahy for a goal. The others he and Devlin were solid. Scapegoats for me. Funny how the attackers get absolutely no blame for missing sitters.

Ok lets do that.

Plymouth:

Goal from a free kick. Arguably the centre halves should be dealing with anything tossed into the box from that position. (Devlin also saved the points with a goal line clearance.

Scunthorpe:

Dobson spanners a header straight to their on running player who smashes it into the net.

Gillingham:

Very similar to the Plymouth goal. Ball tossed into the box and nobody dealt with. Devlin comes across to it but it’s Fitzwaters man and again, balls tossed into the box from their is the centre halves.

Wimbledon:

Leahy loses the ball trying something silly at 3 nil up. Meh.

Rochdale:

Weak floated cross that really should be dealt with. Fitzwater misses a regulation header that either he should have dealt with or the keeper should have come for (arguably a MOTM performance from Leahy)

Barnsley:

We switch off from a corner (Devlin the only man to actually react and try to prevent a goal)

Doncaster:

A penalty given away by Leahy.

A single ball played straight down the middle between the centre halves splits our defence apart.

Ferrier gives the ball away after admittedly being fouled and they go straight down the other end and score after we over commit men in search of an equaliser.

Heads have gone for the fourth.

Oxford:

Really weak defending from Fitzwater after a poor shot is turned in from the striker he’s in a tussle with.

Stanley:

A penalty after Osbourne volleys a player square in the chest.

I count two there that you can cast iron lay the blame for at Leahy’s feet. One of which is the sort of thing you commonly would hear somebody shout “You can try that when we are three nil up” … and we were.

2 Likes

Nail head.

2 Likes

Big 10-4 buddy.

@simon it’s all your wordage nightmares coming through at once.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

This country…

1 Like

This is your last warning, potty mouth.

3 Likes

It’s that kind of tosh that attracts the “trolls”. Blokes been the best defender in the team for some time now and actually started improving way into last season.

I just waded through all of those goals for my post. I don’t think I can blame Guthrie alone for a single one.

DARKOMAVRAK is always right. If you disagree you know nothing about football or you’re a troll.

Bakayoko has gone so someone has to take the flak. Christ knows who it will be next season when the inevitable happens and Leahy and Devlin are bombed out due to ‘not being good enough’ :roll_eyes:

bloody hell don’t you start calling people names :rofl:

1 Like

However good, bad, indifferent, improved the individual defenders are, as a collective they’ve kept 1 clean sheet in 10 in the league this season.
Last season with largely the same defence, we kept 8.
Previous seasons by way of comparison, we’ve kept 13, 15, 18, 11, 12, 11, 12, 11, 7, 10, 12 clean sheets in the league.
Needs improvement in January.

There was one quality full back at the stadium last Saturday…if only ,

2 Likes

Sounds like both have good games tonight…

They are not the problem this season.

1 Like

They were excellent this evening…our weakest defensive player especially early in the game was Fitzwater however as I have said elsewhere there is a concern about the midfield. We are really missing Chambers or someone like him.

1 Like

Yep, miss a Chambers figure sitting in front of the defence so Dobson can play more advanced. Hopefully Osbourne can fill the roll, but he’s nowhere fit enough at the moment.

1 Like

They we’re both good tonight.

They’re clearly the scapegoats for some.

2 Likes

Leahy in particular.

2 Likes

Fitz and Guthrie both looked a bit shaky at times, but Fitz made a great block a couple of yards from the line to save us after a mistake by Leahy. Can’t remember exactly when, but it was first half.
I thought Leahy was very poor first half, he was all over the place. Devlin had a decent game and worked very hard.

He improved after that block late in the first half but I don’t agree about Leahy who was fine throughout for me.

1 Like

Fair enough. There seems to be a huge divergence of opinion re Leahy, from those like me who think he is the poorest regular left back I’ve seen at FP or Bescot, (and those I heard describe him as a liability on Tuesday), to several on here who don’t see him as a problem.
Time will tell, I suppose, and we’ll see if Deano keeps him beyond his current contract.