Underwhelmed at squad building

Absolutely correct if at all possible of course.
And the greatest WFC example of how this can be so benficial was an old grizzled, hard as nails pro called George Kirby looking after a youngster with potential called Allan Clarke.
Now i wonder what happened to him . . . . .

2 Likes

Too early to judge. I am satisfied so far…2 experienced players who the manager knows and trusts and 2 lads with huge potential who may or may not prove to be what is needed. However we have a Manager with a proven record at this level and I think we should trust him until we know otherwise.
I see he hopes to have the bulk of the squad here before we go to Poland and I suggest we see what the position is then.

1 Like

Get the experienced squad members in first, then start faffing about with the guys who will spend most of the season on the bench,if that had been the case I would be halfway to being whelmed by now.

1 Like

Same old story shady…we sold him😀

1 Like

People saying we came down last time with players too good for League 2…what a load of pish.

Scott Dann wasn’t recognised as the class defender he is today, Danny Fox was pretty much like the outgoing Leahy - was superb going forward but whack at the back, Ant Gerrard wasnt great neither in League 1 - he just became superb as a L2 CB. Deeney was also raw.

Money signed Ince, Dobson and Keates that summer - I am hoping Clarke gets a few more with experience like these three.

2 Likes

Agree, with the exception of Roper and Wrack the spine of that team was signed in the summer - Ince, Westwood, Keates, Dobson and Butler were all highly experienced at League 2 or above.

I feel the same as Sid and Mazza, for the life of me I hope the 2 younger signings are squad players with the hope that they progress. Although I agree with you Sid in an ideal world we sign the experienced players first, we have no control over that as a club. I think it’s normal for some of us to feel a bit panicky after the last 2 seasons we’ve had. I desperately I hope we sign some solid Pro’s that have experienced promotion from league 2 like our first 2 signings of which I was delighted about. If we continue to sign the calibre of recent signings none league will be waiting for us in my opinion.

I also agree 100% with @el_nombre promotion has to be the aspiration default for us anything less is failure.

2 Likes

Read what i actually said, then come back to me.

1 Like

Ok, why is it delusional to think we will be smashing the top of the league? Because of the unique way our budget is calculated?

Because again, most clubs relegated from an established league, would think that was at least a possibility. Maybe not expect but certainly not delusions of grandeur.

The very unique way.

We are in a completely different position to when we went down last. Despite the Merson debacle, there was still a lot of goodwill around the club from the Graydon/Championship years. I’d say our core fan base was about 1,000 people stronger back then. We averaged 5,7000 in the League Two title winning season, we’d get nowhere near that now, even if we won the league again. We couldn’t even match that when we were fighting for promotion from League One under Smith.

Sad as it is to say, League Two is our level now both in terms of budget and fanbase. It’s only lucking out with the Dean Smith appointment that propped us up in League One for a few more years. Under Bonser’s leadership the very best we can hope for is being a yo-yo team between the third and fourth tiers. The days of being a stable League One club pushing for the Championship are long gone.

1 Like

That’s no excuse to me anymore. The club should have serious questions to answer if that is what hinders us yet again, whether it comes from one of the seemingly many supporters groups knocking around these days, or the local press or whatever.

“We are aiming for the Championship long term” is a lie that was unfounded and unchallenged for a long time. I can see that happening with “we are aiming for League One long term” being the new lie if fans tolerate this.

What you have said there is they weren’t seen as that when we went down. Money developed them into solid players i agree, maybe i should rephrase myself. We lucked out they turned out brilliant.

Also, i remember when we signed Ince, he was laughed at.

I’m not sure why you are arguing this point with me, i dont disagree with you? I just made the point it wont happen. Our budget is our budget, whether i agree with it or not.

You appear to like starting debates over things that are not there.

1 Like

That’s why I disagree with you. It’s not a debate. I asked you a straight question and you answered :man_shrugging: Just my take away from what you’ve said.

Yeah but at the same time whats saying Clarke cant nurture and get the best out of Norman, Scarr, K.Roberts, Bates and Candlin? We might be comparing these to the likes of Dann, Gerrard and Fox in twelve months time.

I dont think we are as bad off as last time around nor do I think we are better I think we are practically the same - only worry for me is League 2 has a lot more money than the last time we were down here.

4 Likes

I agree with that, no reason why not. I think Scarr has the potential to be a machine at the back.

There is more money down here these days but like you say, making yourself hard to beat can take you a long long way in this division.

2 Likes

You asked me why i thought it was delusional and i gave you an answer. Your spouting hot air because you want to start an argument on a forum as you have done on several occasions in the past.

Your a ■■■■, let that be the end of it.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s deifinitly me looking for an argument here :roll_eyes: I literally just said:

:joy::joy::joy:

It’s not delusional. It’s what should be seen as a realistic out come to next season. It’s up to the club to match that expectation, not for the fans to dull down theirs to match the club. But whatever, cheers for that mate.

I. Definitely agree about mid table “ambitions” . The manager will have to be. Merlin the Magician with the budget he’s been given.Experience is definitely needed in the squad- just like last season!
Surely now we.ve reached July there are some experienced pros out there who need a club?