Unexpected Saddlers

I am on holiday in Portugal and today we went to a large shopping mall in Almada, south of Lisbon. My daughter spotted a bloke wearing last season’s green away shirt. I went to have a chat and he was a Portuguese bloke who has family living in Walsall. He didn’t seem as surprised as me to meet a fellow fan!
What other stories are there of meeting Saddlers in weird and wonderful places?

1 Like

Went on holiday to Disneyworld in Florida when I was 14, same hotel was a fellow Saddler the same age, think his name was Michael.

Best one though was at Twickenham a few years ago against Wales, me and Welsh mate could only get tickets in different rows but we chanced it and sat together, then a group of lads turned up and noted we were in one of their seats, but were dead nice about it and one of them sat in another seat behind us that was empty. We got chatting to them and the guy next to me announced himself as a Saddler, he couldn’t quite believe it when I told him the same.

Guess because there’s not many of us, it makes it a slightly surreal experience when we encounter each other in far flung places, I mean what are the odds of sitting next to another random person in a crowd of 81000 at a rugby game, and them also being a Walsall fan.

3 Likes

Went on a holiday when I was younger to Cyprus I think, walking around wearing a Walsall shirt… some guy on a scooter toots his horn. He must have turned around and come to look for us as he found us in a bar or cafe not long after and showed us his Walsall tattoos if I’m remembering it right

Sounds like you bumped into our No.1 fan, out scouting for a location for his undersea lair…

5 Likes

While in the Lake District and passing the garden of a cottage where some kids were playing football, I heard… Lightbourne to Wilson… and he scores! We stopped and had a conversation obviously.
(Happy for either of them to be signed before the transfer window closes)

4 Likes

Sat in a hotel reception in Riyadh, back in '93 wearing my saddlers t-shirt, when this bloke says “You must be the other one then”.
Turns out he was working over there, painting faux marble ceilings, to match the real marble at ground level. Ended up telling me tales of when he used to climb into the Street End in his youth.

We were in Palma Nova back in the 90’s and a Spanish guy walked passed me wearing a Malaga shirt, looked at my badge and said “the saddlers” lol turned out he used to visit family in Walsall and they used to take him to games.
Also (not meeting other saddlers) but there was a competition some years ago for fans to send their pics in of them wearing their saddler shirts wherever they were on holiday, and the more obscure would get them published in a programme.
So we went on a trip to Athens to see where the original Olympic games were first held, and the torch is still lit.
And i thought it would be a good idea to stand on top of one of the thousands of years old platforms, then i heard about 10 whistles being blown at the same time :man_facepalming: and a load of Greek marshals screaming at me to get down :man_facepalming:
Frightened the bloody life out of me, and to this day we still have the camera with the film still in it as we never had them developed,

3 Likes

Was on the S.O.L amd Ellis Island Ferry and this random guy came up to me.

Lived in America for 30yrs or more but was born in Walsall and a Walsall fan.

1 Like

Remember that GoDaddy advert that had a guy on it whose desk was covered in Walsall stuff?

4 Likes

In a pub in Queen Street Auckland. Almost as far from Walsall as you can get. This guy walks in sporting a brand new full calf tattoo still covered in cling film. Everyone is admiring his ink. I’m stood there in amazement looking at his Walsall home shirt.

One of my sons living in New York was on his way back there via Bermuda during Covid. He’s at Bermuda airport wearing the famous mint and blue of the Saddlers when this guy comes up to him and talks WFC ….

Killer himself .

18 Likes

There was that dodgy kitchen installer featured in Lee Macks ‘Not Going Out’

5 Likes

I was in my local up here a few years back wearing a Walsall top and this bloke came over and said WALSALL my uncle used to play for them. When I asked him, he said his uncle was Albert McPherson at which point it was also established that I used to play cricket with his brother, who had also bought a house off my brother ie. the one he was living in at the time.

The ultimate small world moment.

3 Likes

Was at the checkouts getting a pint of milk at my local Waitrose a couple of months ago when I saw Paul Downing at the next checkout. Nice guy, really enjoyed his time with us. Previously also bumped into Marshy at an Electrical Wholesaler in Brierley Hill and John Hodge at a Lloyds bar in Worcester.

2 Likes

Pretty sure there was a reference to Walsall (not the club though) in Fools and Horses once.

Always found that pretty cool…

I’m a massive OFAH Fan and you are correct, it was on the Miami Twice Film when Alan was referring to Del Boy going international!

2 Likes

Exactly that mate - I thought no surely that cant be right lol!

Spotted a young lady walking through the centre of London. Yesterday with a Walsall Fc carrier bag… Found it funny.

Saw some ugly bloke in a Walsall shirt in Wigan when I looked in the mirror

4 Likes