W 1-0 vs Newport County (A) - League Two - Sat 6th Aug, 3pm

On the sending off, was it not a foul on Allen which the ref missed or ignored?

1 Like

It really was a strange decision, Allen fell over and their player takes the throw in and runs into him on purpose trying to get him sent off :rofl:

Looked to me like the player went through the back of him, the sort of foul that Norman Was awarded all game.

2 games, 6 points , two different style of wins.

Happy days

2 Likes

Brilliant!

We were pants today. First 15 mins was all us but we did nothing with it, never threatening other than a free kick that sailed well over the bar. After that we were under constant pressure and half time came just at the right time as another 5 mins and you had the feeling we’d concede. As good as the ref was last week he was as poor this week. He constantly reacted to the crowd, always the sign of a bad ref and after 20mins I said to my Nephew this ref will end up sending someone off before the end and probably for something daft. Sure enough. Allen was daft for putting himself in a position for making it easy for him to do it.

Second halve we looked a bit more composed ans repelled everything they chucked at us will a steally determination not to concede without ever threatening ourselves. Our only chance looked like to get some breakaway goal as they laid the pressure on and MF brought on the perfect 2 players to help us get that. It didn’t happen like that but the 2 subs gave then something completely different to think about and created just a little uncertainty in the defence just for a minute resulting in our one chance to somehown scramble the ball over the line which we somehow managed to do.

Anytime over the last 5 years this was a nailed on loss. We have not been capable of winning a game like this since at leadt the Money season maybe even the Graydon era and we know what those two teams have in common.

Bumped into Williams coming out the ground after the match who was almost apologetic about the performance despite winning.

So, what have we learned so far about this new team? Well, last week taught me we can win games, this week taught me we can win promotion.

6 Likes

Highlights:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/walsall/12667465/newport-county-0-1-walsall-league-two-highlights

1 Like

Not sure what he had to apologise about, we won which is the main thing :grinning:

Just the FIFTY clearances for us today

3 Likes

I left the house with my lad at 7 this morning and got back home about half an hour ago. A very long day but it was well worth it to see what was a battling performance. Not much I can add that hasn’t already been said. We can’t play like we did last week every game. These are the kind of wins that will get us out of this horrible division.

The day was spoiled by a Walsall fan who had clearly had far too much to drink, who was sitting in our seats when we came back to them after half time. I said they were our seats, and he gave us a bit of a mouthful. There were a few seats in the row in front free so we just sat there. The lads who had been sitting there then came back and wanted their seats, so I asked the chap again (politely) if we could have our seats. He went in to a full on rant at me, threatening me, and telling me he would see me outside. Spit and froth coming from his mouth. I didn’t react but it really upset my lad, he was in floods of tears, saying he didn’t want to come again. It really upset me a lot. The lad has really taken to following Walsall, even last season when it was rubbish. He’s been buzzing for today all week. He’s okay now but really no need to be that aggressive when there is a child there.

The stewards answer by the way was to move us to the stand behind the goal. Not really happy, I don’t like seeing fans thrown out but they could see how upset George was.

Up The Saddlers anyway, hopefully it hasn’t put him off now.

30 Likes

Is that an app mate? Looks like something I’d like to look at :+1:t2:

The journey home kind of summed up the day.

It wasn’t pretty but we got there.

Peter Clarke MOTM by some distance. His stats unbelievable today. Perfect.

Couldn’t make out the goal. Guess I’ll see it on the telly at some point.

The team have essentially answered two questions in the opening two weeks. The first is “are you good enough?” Which was answered emphatically last week. The second was “do you want it enough” which was answered equally emphatically today. And todays answer is possibly the more important.

Great to see a few folk down there today including @Blazing_Saddler . But not good that some of our lot were so horrible to him in front of his lad. Cowardly. We’ve a few cowards follow us. And ironically they think they’re tough.

15 Likes

Sorry that happened to you and your son. You showed a lot more restraint (probably because your young lad was with you) than I would have done.
Stewards need to act more quickly in removing these idiots out of the ground.
We all enjoy a drink, but when someone who’s legless, shouting abuse at their own fans, that situation needs to be very quickly addressed.

I hope Newport thoroughly investigate the fan(s) who said abusive things about Flynn’s wife.
You could tell during his interview that MF was visibly upset by those outrageous comments. Behavior like that is totally unacceptable, the culprits should be banned for life.

6 Likes

The first away game of 98/99 was a 1-0 win with Mr O.G. scoring…

Biggest away following in L2 today too.

UTS!

2 Likes

I’m sorry you and your lad had that happen. As I posted earlier in the thread, the abuse of one of our female fans and vile comments made by this small group of ‘fans’ made me feel uncomfortable and embarrassed. If I had to put up with that every match then I would never go, it’s as simple as that. The stewards had a tough job with the idiots causing grief in the stand behind the goal. Also I didn’t think smoking was allowed in the stadium. It didn’t stop a fair few of our lot.

1 Like

Quick mention to Comley who after a ball came in during injury time was headed clear to their player just outside the centre of our pen area, saw the danger and belted out the defence like a one man cavalry charge and threw his body in front of the ball ensuring it only got as far as about a yard of their players boot rather than rocketing into the box and deflecting into the goal like his goal last week.

Well done that man, typified our determination to see the game out.:clap:

10 Likes

probably the yoof firm that run off from Mansfield wouldnt last 2 mins with the 80s lads.

2 Likes

Unacceptable mate, i take my son who is 9 and have witnessed similar situation at Telford a couple of weeks ago luckily it hasn’t put him off but i could see the worried look on his face. These morons need banning nobody should feel uncomfortable let alone threatened especially by your own fans. If enough fans put complaints into the club surely they will have to act.

7 Likes

I got it off a Newport fan on Twitter mate

1 Like

@Blazing_Saddler

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

I’m sure your son won’t be put off because he wants to spend quality time with his dad. You should be proud of him for supporting Walsall when many children look for more ‘fashionable’ options.

I actually think that we might have something to cheer this season so please encourage him to persevere.

I should also add that you acted in an exemplary fashion when provoked by a brain dead youf: I’m sure that your lad thinks you’re a bit of a hero.

I had a situation recently at the cinema when there were a group of teenagers on their phones, being noisy and generally being :bellhop_bell: :end:. I knew that I would ruin the experience for me and my lad if I spoke up and these days, you never know how it might escalate.

Sometimes ‘being the grown up’ means avoiding confrontation. A bit like Flynn, a bitter sweet experience but 3 points and a good day with your boy. :+1::soccer::heart:

6 Likes