W 1-0 vs Port Vale (A) - League Two - Tue 23rd Nov, 7:45pm

I read the scoreline flash as PORT VALEO. :joy:

An enjoyable watch. Great Vlog. Fair play.

1 Like

Professor Stanley unwin…:grinning:

1 Like

Just my observation but some of the posts about Darrell on social media. Absolutely disgusting. No one deserves that level of abuse

16 Likes

I agree, i haven’t seen them, but he is a human being and as misguided as he is, he is only human.

5 Likes

Many of them go well well beyond banter. Alot of them connected with that awful chant which was started. I’m sure you know the one I mean.

He dosnt deserve to be treated like that

15 Likes

Glad the abuse of Darrell is being called out, we’re better than that! Bit of humour, bit of gloating is fine, but some of the stuff is awful.

He is a human being. Don’t need to like him, but there is a line & a few have crossed it. Us Saddlers are better than that, let’s not tarnish this great win with unnecessary abuse.

26 Likes

Sickening the level of abuse Clarke has received, just hope his family wasn’t in attendance last night. Doesn’t surprise though as football fans can be very fickle at times. Just glad I never took my kids yesterday. Worrying thing is it was the majority not minority just hope they have got it out there system.

6 Likes

What did the bloke really do that was that bad? Yes he’s a big headed arrogant git but it’s become clear he left because he felt he wasn’t being backed here the final straw seems to be what happened on deadline day he wasn’t our best manager but he was also far from our worst

2 Likes

Most of the problem lay with the owners of the club and i think we lose sight of that sometimes.
It is so easy to blame the guy in charge of the team, but you have to look a bit deeper :wink:
Yes DC was a knob but the board are not blameless in his tenure

1 Like

He was always going to get a bit of stick, just the same as Dean Smith did when we played Brentford after he left. I thought the Darrell’s at the wheel chant was quite amusing but it felt a little embarrassing listening to some of the other songs.

I had my Son with me and his memory of Darrell Clarke was him taking the time to come over and have a chat and a picture taken while we were on the club car park after collecting some tickets.

I was pretty happy when he left as he clearly failed at Walsall mostly based on his first transfer window. I don’t think anyone could argue he didn’t give 100% for us though and was done a wrong one by the club at the end by selling his best players and not replacing them adequately.

To be honest I always prefer songs that are aimed to get behind the team than anti anyone else. Clarke has gone now, better to just get behind Matt Taylor.

13 Likes

It’s a bit sad that we’re perpetuating a Bristol fan drive from years ago and pretending it’s original or funny while taking it to extremes. At best it’s banter, but most of it has frankly been abuse. Not dogs abuse, which is allusion, but real abuse, like plastering Vale Park with stickers about fellating canines.

We’re better than that.

3 Likes

I agree with that.

Clarke didn’t help himself when he left in terms of the thinly veiled digs at our club and its owner. But I guess that was his part in a feeling of mutual let down and disappointment. Leigh had a few digs back to be fair.

I think it is us who have a “dog” thing to be honest. We went down the canine route with Hutchings too didn’t we? I know with Clarke we’ve just picked up on a Bristol City thing that goes back to around 2015 but there’s no need. I’m no shrinking violet and I’m right up for some old school swearing but even in football there is probably a line.

2 Likes

Love that Vlog. A superb insight into the mindset of supporting a club like Vale/us. Third in the league at home against a side in the bottom half “I think we will lose tonight”. It’s that constant preparation for disappointment that hopefully takes a bit of the sting out when it happens. Because you know it will.

He calls the whole evening spot on and is magnanimous in his view of us and our support. As said above, exactly the sort of bloke you know you’d enjoy a pint or two with. Not sure about the roller coaster fandom but on football he’s spot on.

4 Likes

It is an excellent Vlog…I think it emphasises a point I have made several times.If a team is without 2 key players especially up front it makes a big difference at this level.

1 Like

Built himself and the club up from day one, signed all his old has been mates on big contracts, was given a blank sheet to put his own side together and shit the bed, singled out his own players sometimes individually when the mistakes were his, attacked his own fans noticeably when he was rightly criticised for poor team selections and the aforementioned contracts handed out to his mates.

But mostly on the way out he shit on the club and the owner he’d been bigging up for years (when he wasn’t bigging up himself).

Other than that he was alright. I’m not having the revisionism, and I’m not feeling sorry for him either. I didn’t partake in some of it, but Darrell’s always going on about how he’s a big boy and is so unaffected so I’m sure he will be fine. He took his shots at us so if you can’t take it don’t dish it out :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Agree with this Killer he left because he wasn’t backed, no different to many of our fans over the years :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

And because he’d built a dumpster fire he could no longer control through his own decisions. Nobody was blameless.

He was absolutely cut off at the knees by Pomlett. Forced to sign free players who no manager in there right mind would have wanted whilst selling our best players without replacements . Good manager with passion. Dosnt deserve all this abuse. Personally I wish him all the best.

2 Likes

I didn’t say Pomlett was blameless. He wasn’t cut off at the knees when he was given a top ten budget first season though. And bloody hell, he wasn’t exactly flying with the players that were sold to championship and league one clubs in January!

Weird of a rival but fair enough.