W 2-1 vs Salford City (H) - League Two - Sat 9th Oct, 3pm

Ah, good! My memory works after all. It was an evening game I think and, of course, if we can beat QPR and QPR beat the Baggies, then…

This is pushing my memory, but I think we might have had a couple of Albion players in the team. Simpson and Jackson?

I went on a coach from the Hussey Arms in Brownhills, on the way back the coach was attacked by the Chelsea Head Hunters.

I didn’t realise they were around in those days. Thought it was a late 70’s/80’s thing.
I cant remember too much about the game as I was only 6.
I remember the 1970 final against Man City quite well though

1 Like

Perhaps i am thinking of another game then? i remember West Brom playing QPR in an cup semi final in London? yep it was at Highbury in 1982 sorry mate :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Just going to say that. ‘82 it was.

1 Like

Ye we had a martial arts expert on the coach, he was practicing his moves and high kicks shouting the driver to stop, so he did and he got off the coach, they had cut him to ribbons within about 30 seconds :joy: they had razor blades in their boots.
Luckily they wasn’t very deep, but he took some stick for years after with everyone calling him Bruce :joy:

1 Like

It’s something my old man likes more than me Belphs just wondered how much things like that go for and if you’d sell that’s all understand if they are something you couldn’t part with.

Funnily enough I’ve been sorting them with a view to getting rid. Not really sure how much they are worth tbh. Also got the 68 final v Everton and W***es v Leicester final of 1949 amongst others.

Always remember my old lady saying I should hang on to them as they’d be worth a lot in years to come. Reality is the whole collection would struggle to net me a grand

2 Likes

It’s really sad to think that they aren’t worth a lot after the years they’ve been about isn’t it? You’d think things like that would be worth thousands I guess they might be in the right auction with 2 or 3 fighting over them sounds like you’ve got some really good stuff mate.

Took a friend with me for his first match to this games as a fiver. His never been bothered by football and is 49 so probably not gonna change but wanted to see what the fuss was about.
After the game he said he had never been so bored for most the game or had such a buzz when the crowd roared when wilko scored and he said I felt that through my body. Said he started to understand why fans sit through boredom for one moment of magic.
those celebrations those fans- why we support Walsall x

3 Likes

That’s exactly why VAR kills it for me. The build up of tension, the momentary holding of breath, followed by the release and the shear unbridled joy of a goal is what it’s all about. Sitting around while VAR decides if it’s a goal or not completely destroys the spontaneity of the moment.

5 Likes

People keep them, I think that’s the problem. They are a souvenir and lots will fit in a box, or an old case shoved in the loft or garage, so there isn’t much rarity value. And I think they have to be mint and not have the team changes scrawled on them, or the result and scorers.
I think the old ones might be worth a bit, the 1949 Final for instance. I have the 1960 F A Cup final prog, but it’s tatty.
A collector/dealer told me years ago that the Wolves reserve match teamsheets from the 50s are worth a bit, partly because Wolves were good then, and also because people just threw them away, so demand outstrips supply.
There is a market for ticket stubs. I have no idea why, the collecting gene is missing from my DNA.

1 Like

They are now :joy: :wink:

2 Likes

I have a 1933 arsenal v walsall program no idea where it came from, just wish we had the attendances of years ago.

2 Likes

Yeah I can see @Belphegor now rubbing his hands together in between stroking his cat concocting a fictitious price to sell the goods to scoobs he he he he!!

1 Like

I have my grandad’s ticket from the Baggies 1954 FA Cup Final against PNE but doubt that it’s worth much.

I have my grandfather’s ticket. Looking to buy a programme to put with it.

Sorry folks but footy programmes, unless they are in pristine condition (no rusty staples etc) and are pre 50’s are worth zilch, possibly a fraction more than zilch to a collector of that particular club.

Some exceptions to the rule here

Wonderful to see over 5,000 packed in the old lady. We went absolutely bonkers when the winner went in, nothing less than we deserved and a sign of real progress.

1 Like