Walsall FC - Fifty of the finest Matches by Geoff Allman

I am presently reading the above, having acquired it on-line from E Bay. I would recommend it to all those currently disenchanted supporters as being good medicine for you to revel in our glorious past for a while! One particular match which resonates with me is Walsall at home to Notts County on 31st January 1948. I would have been 12 at the time. Tommy Lawton was their centre forward, having been bought by Notts County from Chelsea the previous November for the then record fee for a British club of £20,000.
Walsall won 2-1 and fielded a forward line on that day of McGowan, Devlin, Massart, Lishman and Wilshaw. Boy, if we could only field such talented players today! Tommy Lawton did score County’s only goal which has vividly stuck in my memory ever since. As the report states " From a long free kick he had his back to the Walsall goal, but in one movement he chested the ball down, swivelled and from well out side the penalty area rocketed the ball past the helpless Jack Lewis in goal. The attendance for that match was 20,383.

10 Likes