Walsall FC: Half Term Report

Results - D
Performance- F
Board - unmarked
Fullerton- F
Taylor - C

Overall really poor

1 Like

Good progress being made from the shambles of last year.
Need to continue with the January window.

1 Like

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed: I think you are watching the wrong iFollow feed.

1 Like

General overview:

Nowhere near fulfilling potential. Individually and collectively must do better. Emits staleness and complacency. Gives the impression of doing better than it really is.

Effort Grade 3

Attainment Grade 3

Subject specific:

Geography – all over the place

History – still similar to recent years

French – letter to the DOF. See if you can get J-F Peron back

German – struggling without Marco Reich

Latin – Ishmel Demontagnac

P.E – inconsistency ranging from dynamos to arse blowers

Maths – incomings and outgoings - it doesn’t add up

Chemistry – not evident

Biology/Anatomy – slow identification of ailments

English Language – mostly, if not all

English Literature – not been the same since Keats (sic) left

Spanish – Pedro return brought happier memories

Russian – not really. Too slow.

Domestic Science – needs more work on sausage rolls

Physics – not the force we once were.

Needlework – need to be more ambitious than drawstring bags

9 Likes

​It would be, would be, B minus from me. I know some things could be better, but last season the club entered a new era of managing the sporting side of business, so it would be unfair to concentrate on minuses. It’s too soon to demand heads.

I can’t comment while they have been expelled :grin:

Can tell the age of UTSers when we all know grades are 1-9 now! Letters are old school’ ( btw I have no idea if 1 or 9 is good lol Google says 9 is top x )

Recruitment 3 out of 10
Entertainment 2 out of 10
Boadroom leadership - 10
Communication - 10
Bullshit and spin 9 out of 10
Hope for the future. Not scoreable
Matt Taylor 3 out of 10

1 Like

We dropped Walsall into the bottom stream two years ago in the hope they could regain some confidence and return brighter and better to the third stream. They have shown over many years that they are more than capable of holding their own in the third stream but for now we feel that they are more suited to the fourth.

The way back requires careful hard work and certainly more creativity in that work.

Unfortunately, based upon the first term it doesn’t look like they are showing enough of either for a return to be possible any time soon.

We understand that circumstances have changed, with Walsall needing to borrow many of their resources from the other children. This must be tough and certainly does nothing to help. We understand that paying the rent and keeping a roof above their head is probably a priority over attainment.

This shouldn’t distract from the lack of progress this term. It has definitely felt like one step forward and one back which in one hand shows the potential to move forward is still there but on the other demonstrates the chronic lack of consistency which holds them back.

We look forward to next term where we hope Walsall will begin to demonstrate it can consistently achieve in the fourth stream to the point where a return to the third looks at least possible in the next year or two.

5 Likes

I’m still enjoying it more than at any point during DCs reign. Which is a low bar I admit.

BBC piece here with each club’s local reporters giving a half term report on their respective League 2 teams.

Tom Marlow from WM does ours.

1 Like

If it all ended now with us in twelfth position, after last season would that be success or failure.

Definitely not successful in a poor league. When we are supposedly giving it a right go ?

We are a fourth division club / team though. This is our current level. The standard for the fourth tier is pretty good. Maybe you are comparing it to the the third tier where we don’t belong?

It’s a clear improvement but with the extremely low bar that was set last season it is about the minimum that should be expected I think. I wouldn’t class it as success or failure, just meh.

See what happens second half of the season, if it ever happens.

2 Likes

I would say the standard is pretty poor myself.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be happy with 12th. Not after what Leigh has said this week, and ‘giving it a right good go’.

We should be acting like a league one team. The problem is, the club is run by amateurs.

1 Like

Compared to what Gav?

It’s poor. Worse than the last time we played at this level . Especially as ex prem players earn so much money now that they don’t need or have the desire to drop down the leagues anymore.

1 Like

Fair point about the prem players, however I’d contend that overall, the standard of football at every level has continued to improve over the years. Players are generally technically better, much fitter and the playing surfaces are much improved. Then there is the ball. There are also lots of prem trained younger players that don’t make it that end up in this league.

When we were in this league last time around we made hard work if it given the team we had, which had no business being there.
The league itself wasn’t great demonstrated by the fact that all four relegated teams went back up.

On the previous occasions that we have graced it during my lifetime, it was a hoofball league full of cloggers.and mud Bath pitches.

I suppose in most cases, discussions like these are down to personal views and memories rather than being able to be proven one way or the other

7 Likes