Walsall league injustice

Apparently we do for the times there was a Division 3 North/South set up (7 times re-elected)

But since the 4th division was created, Hartlepool hold the record (11) with Crewe on 7.

I heard we kept getting re-elected because our central location meant we were cheap to travel to and our away followings were good meaning more crowd receipts for other teams.

Seems plausible, but doesn’t explain Hartlepools record :neutral_face:

Actually Hartlepool were re-elected 3 times in the division 3 north/south era and 11 times in the division 4 era, so that makes 14.

Tomorrow’s opponents were re-elected 5 times in the north/south era and 6 times in the division 4 era. So they’re worse than us.

Walsall never sought re-election in the division 4 era as far as I am aware

For info we were replaced in the league by Bristol City and Doncaster Rovers in 1901-02

What makes you ask that?

Our home gates were good too for a team that hardly won a match for 3 seasons!!! Not too sure we had good away followings in the fifties.There wasn’t much money about then for the vast majority of folk.

1 Like

That was because we hadn’t joined the EU yet WalsallOne :wink:

1 Like

Wrong thread old chap!!! If you are not careful you will wake up MANCHESTER and his cronies who will be on here like a hoard of hungry wolves to devour this perfectly innocent little thread about an injustice which is over 100 hundred years old :grinning:

In both the 1914-15 and 1919-20 seasons that relate to the Arsenal bit of this thread, Bradford Park Avenue finished above Manchester United. All a bit different back then.

I read about this many years ago and recall Arsenal were promoted because the other grounds were damaged in the war and not fit for use.

1 Like

Really? Nah. World War One. I think the Germans had around 50 zeppelin missions but there was no blitz like there was in the Second World War. Those missions were along the east coast and I’m pretty sure never made it as far or as accurately to bomb Molineux or Oakwell.

Arsenal got promoted due to politics and money.

I agree they weren’t damaged directly by the war but because of lack of money many were not ready for football to be played so Arsenal with their brand new stadium just happened to fill a gap in the first division :grinning:

1 Like

:smiley: I’m not having that either! “Not ready?” In 1918 if the grass was mowed then the ground was ready. Don’t think Health and Safety had been invented.

Corruption, politics and money. As it usually is.

2 Likes

Well health and Safety did not play a role in the Battle of the Somme did it? so I think you may be right on the other hand to suggest the mighty Arsenal don’t deserve a place at the top table is a little naughty :wink:

They possibly do. But they should’ve done it properly. The latter day Norris in the shape of Winkleman the same. If either owner had achieved their status through sporting meritocracy then not a problem. In fact in the MK Dons case if we’d have witnessed a climb through the divisions similar to that of AFC Wimbledon I think we’d all be mightily impressed. Their achievements rightly lauded rather than being the result of a grubby deal with the authorities and therefore forever being deemed illegitimate by a sizeable section of the football community.

With Arsenal I just happen to be able to bare a grudge that goes back decades before I was born.

I believe Chapman’s marble halls still exist on the old Highbury site. I’d love to spray “Walsall 2-0 Arsenal” Banksey style all over them.

3 Likes

There were half a dozen raids on Hull from June 1915 onwards. The first was meant for London (Highbury?) but the weather forced the Zeppelin north and turn left at the Humber! They did occasionally target inland. Link to an excellent account of Zeppelin raid on the Black Country including Walsall below.

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/Zeppelins/zeppelins.htm

The bomb damage at number 14 and number 13 King Street, Wednesbury

German bombers (Gothas and Giants) targetted London towards the end of the war including daylight raids but football grounds escaped any damage!