Walsall Legends poster on eBay

Is B Adrian Viveash?
H could be Tony Macken
Agree, I is Colin Taylor

1 Like

On the basis of “Legends” would any of the last 5 qualify?

B is Adrian Viveash

1 Like

Yes, you are correct. I did wonder if it was him because I know he wore number 4 at times, but I mistook the kit for the play off year, and also the hair didn’t/doesn’t look right for Ada.

2 Likes

Yes, good shout, the hair would be right, a better likeness than Dave Serellas.

1 Like

I think we are all waiting for @JollyJohnny to open his present to himself on Christmas Day, to reveal the correct answers. :grinning:

You must have better eyesight than me, I can’t read any of the names, too small and just a blur. My guide dog couldn’t read them either.

Click the right arrow to go to the 2nd pic (which is a close up of just part of the sheet), then just hover your cursor over it to enlarge (appears in a pane to the right). The visible captions are as now plain as day.

Just a pity it’s only 9 of the 20 that you can do this for.

So they are. But that takes all the fun out of it. :grin:

True - so I won’t give any more spoilers. But I can clarify that C is definitely Ian Roper - he’s got 6 on his shorts, which was Roper’s number when we wore that strip.

Yes, I thought it was Roper. It looked like him without being the stance I most associate with him, round-shouldered, bit of a belly, watching the action, waiting to see what happened, ready to pounce. One of my favourite ever players.

A true legend - he was my wife’s favourite too and she gave up coming to games soon after he left.

Fantastic defender but he couldn’t pass a ball properly to save his life! And when he ran it always reminded me of this -

7f65ec6bdda07d3f0dd9c4f9cfd2efef

2 Likes

I think it is fair to say passing wasn’t necessarily one of his greatest strengths.
He didn’t look athletic but was very quick when he had a head of steam up.
Some fantastic performances from him down the years, both in the Championship and also to help get us there, and he played a part in 06-07 too.
You wife sounds like a lady of impeccable taste.

She still has a pencil print of him on the wall above her desk in our upstairs office (on the back of her swivel chair she’s got the ST seat number plaque that the club did in 2007/8).

BTW With the same logic as for confirming it’s him at C, G is indeed Samways.

1 Like

Looks like the only one still outstanding is H. The strip (especially the socks) narrows it down to 79-81, but the hair doesn’t look right for Tony Macken (good player, but wouldn’t exactly call him a Walsall legend). Young Colin Harrison was still going then - is it him?

Easy solution Tim - buy a copy and let us all know!

2 Likes

It’s on @JollyJohnny letter to Santa, so all will be revealed on Crimbo day.

1 Like

I think it is Tony Macken, @dajwmyson suggested it and I think it looks right. He always had a mop of hair, not really long but quite thick and it could blow around and fall whichever way, so although it doesn’t look exactly right it doesn’t look wrong either, if that makes sense.
FWIW I would call him a club legend, I thought he was a class act and always deserves a mention when we talk about our best ever right backs before everyone agrees with me that Ian Brightwell is our finest in that position. :slightly_smiling_face:

I was thinking of getting it for my bro tbh, but i may treat myself as well while I’m at it - probably the best present i get this year! :man_facepalming::joy:

1 Like