Waste of a year?

What have we actually achieved this season?
New manager again,
DoF didn’t work
Exactly the same position in the league
No relegation or promotion battle
No cup run
Same complaints about the stadium and facilities
Fans favourite player is kinsella again with no new interesting memorable walsall players
No new home grown players playing
May Aswell have not bothered with this season at all
Is this the most pointless season In Walsall fc history?

10 Likes

It’s about the same as the other seasons Pomlett has presided over we can only hope he’s learnt from his mistakes and disastrous appointments and things improve next season I hope for everyone’s sake they do.

2 Likes

The 09-10 season was bland, 18 points off sixth place, 12 points off relegation, the only cup game we won was against Stourbridge, the football was poor, we had Sam Parkin and Peter Till in the team, fans were losing interest. Thank goodness things have improved. Oh, hold on.
Troy Deeney had a good season, but it just meant I was thinking “how long will he stick around, and will we get any of the transfer fee to actually spend on players?”

I think that the Smith years apart, we have mostly seemed to mark time since January of 2008, and even with Smith the success was achieved in spite of the hierarchy at the club, and not because of it.

Flynn might be similarly capable of helping us to prosper, for a while, despite the club not being set up for it.

4 Likes

Highlights that i will remember are the win at Vale and Wilkinsons 95th minute magic against Newport. Apart from that a complete waste of a year. Another re-set in the summer and by August i will be ready to go again believing that this season will finaly be the one when we come good and storm to promotion.

8 Likes

It’s the hope that kills ya!

1 Like

People still hope? :open_mouth:

1 Like

As I said elsewhere, I’m not yet fully convinced by Flynn but I note that others are. There are plenty on here saying that he is the man who, if properly backed, will get us promotion. So, if that does turn out to be true, it won’t have been a wasted year at all. In some ways, it will have been an important year potentially, representing a turn in fortunes. Only time will tell. And if the DoF didn’t work, we learned something as a club and the DoF sourced the manager who potentially could turn things around.

3 Likes

To be fair Shrops, that’s a bit like saying the Merson era was a really important developmental stage for Walsall FC as it lead in turn to the appointment of Dosh - admire your optimism that there is any kind of plan at WS1, but its a bit, shall we say, evidentiary tenuous :laughing:

1 Like

Not really the same though is it? I don’t think Merson played any part in appointing Money?

Thanks for admiring my optimisim. I find it serves me well in life :wink: :joy:

1 Like

I’m Walsall till I die, I’m Walsall till I die…

We haven’t achieved a single thing as Mole and Gamble still remain on the board.

10 Likes

This.

Saturday marks 18 years since the departure of Colin Lee, arguably the start of the decline that has led to our current predicament, and certainly, for me, the time that it crystallised in my head the notion that Bonser was in it for himself, not the club.

Almost two decades wasted, and no sign of any change to improve things. This year is just another marking time while the club is rotting further.

Pomlett needs to look at the board now. He said last year, when JF got appointed, that nobody on the board knew anything about football. That’s still the case, and JF has gone to explore better options. God knows there’s not many worse than reporting to a bunch of pensioners, including a couple who know more than they should, and way more than has been made public, about Bonser’s acquisition of Walsall at the expense of the club.

Sort it out, Leigh.

12 Likes

Deffo agree that the Board needs changed / refreshed. I really cannot see what benefit all their “experience” is doing for us. For me, start with anyone who was there when the freehold changed hands. If I could pick one to go it would be Whalley without any hesitation.

6 Likes

This might sound a bit naive but how would you go about getting rid of (some of) the board?
I guess some who actually work for the club could be sacked or ‘persuaded to move on’ but those that don’t, is there a term of office almost?

Could you add more people to the board in addition, to help bring that football knowledge? (I know JF was intended to be that in part).

The departure of JF shows just how easy it is to offload anyone if you really want to. He was elected to the board!

I bang on about this time and again. Big and successful businesses would not tolerate the level of underperformance and stagnation that exists at Walsall FC for 2 years, let alone 15 years!! By hook or by crook those senior execs would be gone.

Its an insult that those people are still in position, drawing bloody good wages, to every single Walsall fan.

6 Likes

I thought this year been very positive, fullerton gone, taylor gone, and having my son buy me a bag of scrachings with ray graydon name on what more do you want. Cannot remember any good football performances thought. Except midfield passing backwards and side ways good skill that.

Not a complete write off at all

JB has had his half a million again out of the club that could have financed the playing side and lead us to a better end of season standing

So we did ok in that respect

1 Like

Thats it. The Bonser babes making sure their primary function is satisfied - Uncle Jeff’s nest is nicely feathered

2 Likes

A company director can be removed via an ordinary resolution which is 50%+ 1 of the shareholders. In our case, as LP owns 76%, all he pretty much has to do is raise his hand at a board meeting and that is that.