Wayne Hatswell Appreciation Thread

Only thing I would say that needs working on are our long throw ins. Nearly every single one ends up in the opposition team breaking on us. Again, if we’re bringing the big beasts up from the back we need to make sure we’ve got a proper routine/positions set up to turn some of these into positive moves.

1 Like

We have the tallest defenders in 55 years of watching them and Kinsella and Bennett win most headers against the opposition

Hatswell does indeed deserve credit for some of the imaginative routines we’ve seen this season.

We have two problems with them.

The first is the execution of the kick itself. Our delivery is often poor especially from corners. I mentioned this before about Knowles’ throw ins but I wonder if we practice at the Bescot or adapt the dimensions at Essington to match the Bescot. At Bescot you have about a three step run-up and have to transition from the track to grass. Building muscle memory for that is hard.

The second problem is as somebody else mentions. We are very easy to break on. Yesterday we were leaving one versus one at the back from corners and at times they were one average pass away from having a three or four against one situation.

1 Like

I thought this when we were attacking after Mansfield scored. There was a throw in about 3/4 towards Mansfield’s goal and Kinsella was offering himself up just outside the box.

My heart needed him to drop about 10 yards back and be more central.

1 Like

I do worry about the “long throws”, I don’t think they are particularly long or accurate. To say nothing of the total lack heading ability of our giant defenders ( except for Monthe getting his first ever knock on against Mansfield) . Apart from anything else if any team has done there homework (and they have) it makes us so predictable doing something the we have no success in.

1 Like

Commented to my mates yesterday that the covers had been all stacked on one side of the pitch, which hampered the run up on the main stand side.
Why they couldn’t put some either side and leave the areas adjacent to the boxes free, so to not impede the run up. Don’t help ourselves, sometimes.
Having said that, they never seem to be very effective anyway.

2 Likes

Huge fan of the long throw in football but ours are just too slow, that’s if they get far enough into the box.

Having said that we can barely keep the ball after a short throw in either.

Agree

That’s something we’ve regularly done this season.

It’s hardly a long throw . It’s a crap throw that’s for sure

1 Like

Flynn said after the Doncaster win that he doesn’t mind putting extra bodies forward for set pieces because it gives us more chance of scoring and he trusts the players not to make any mistakes.

I wish we left someone pacey up on halfway when the opposition have free kicks/corners/long throw-ins.

1 Like

Yawn Hellsweat.

1 Like

Well Monthe is fast,and let’s face it he very rarely gets his head to those “long throws”.