We want to help but need information

Spot on

1 Like

Nice to see that for every Shaun Dyche there is a Frank Lampard.

2 Likes

Yes I agree, as much as I would like to throw money at the club, my husband is still trying to get a job following redundancy.

5 Likes

Fair point some people cant just write off 250-350 quid to watch ifollow for the rest of the season then put more money into the club with no return if you can thats great but not everyone is going to be happy.

5 Likes

Great post. I think the ultimate information we need as you say moving forward is what is the scale of the problem before we go onto the issues with rent and the political side of players/directors wages etc. Least then we know what we’re dealing with and what we can do as fans to help the club through this. Just feel a bit helpless at the moment but I’m sure/hope Pomlett will update us in the coming days in terms of a plan.

1 Like

I agree completely. If folk have a choice between keeping a roof over their family’s head or helping Walsall FC there is only one sensible answer.

Which is why information is crucial and also why, as difficult as it seems, refunds need to be on the table. Club, community and supporters need to be able to trust each other to do the right thing by each other.

8 Likes

After reading that, i put the suggestion on the sky community site and i got shot down, nobody cares.

@marbro8 I don’t see why Sky would help they have no moral or legal obligation to do so, the FA and Premier league are the only ones who should be helping so I hope you’ve messaged them to ask what they are doing?

Cancelling your subscription won’t make any difference to Sky and threatening to do so unless they do help is ridiculous.

@marbro8

The reason Sky puts so much money into the Premier League is because people actually want to watch it. As a result, they make a lot of money back.

Why on earth would they give any money to the lower league clubs? Sky doesn’t care whether those lower leagues are there or not.

marbro8 Sky wouldn’t do anything to help the clubs if people cancelled their Sky subscriptions, they have no reason to do so it’s ridiculous to think they should.

Morally they have no obligation at all, Sky take no money from the lower league clubs(or any club for that matter).

If we go by your logic then I trust your going to contact BT sport, Amazon, every betting company and every sponsor of every Premier league club to ask what they are going to do to help? If not then why not?

The only people who have any moral obligation to help is the FA and Premier league, if your not going to ask them again why not?

A lot of Lower league clubs have for years been on the tipping point of going under due to mismanagement and poor ownership, if they do fail because of what’s happening globally then they have only themselves to blame(and i speak as a Notts County fan so i know a lot about clubs poor ownership and coming close to folding).

As I say they have to charge full rental value , this has been discussed many times This is because of the clever way he tied it up in a pension fund, Other people are benefactories of said fund so bescot has to be rented st it’s full market vslue, There are ways round it but they would involve him having to meet the shortfall. Which he won’t.

It is incredible but not surprising that people have forgotten the meaning of sport and competition because that bit of their brain has been replaced by a superficial knowledge of finance and market forces. Football being a business rather than a healthy past-time where fair competition creates thrilling and unpredictable outcomes now rules the mind set.

The football league itself was founded upon the integrity of competition and sport. The Premier League wasn’t.

We’ve now been conditioned to concede that Walsall will never again dream of playing at the top level or even having half a chance in a cup game against a European Cup side playing their first team (oh for 83/84).

Football is now akin to rocking up with three mates to a pub quiz. You see that a couple of teams have 25 players in their team. You point out that this seems a trifle unfair only to be told “it’s your own fault for not having more friends so either suck it up or ■■■■ off”.

4 Likes

Who is marbro8, some kind of turd. Signs himself off as a Nott’s County fan, but in reality everything in his post says he supports Man United from his armchair.

Quite true, I said this yesterday. However, with lower league fans not able to go to games now, there will be many more supporters who would lap up a quality service that showed their team every week. Sky could easily make a package and in doing so help clubs on the way.

Probably true again, but the impact will reach much higher than some people may think. We have one of the best if not the best football pyramids in the world, it has been working for a very long time. If Walsall do go to the wall, I will almost certainly drift away from football altogether, I am sure there will be many more. I guess Sky can rely on the fact enough will drift to the horrible world of watching Fulham v Brighton 7.15 on a Monday night with a few beers and some snacks. That isn’t why we started following football

1 Like

Sky and the premier league realistically wont give a toss if lower league football is decimated. We are a hindrance to them. The premier clubs dont give a toss about cup games, and less clubs means more potential new fans of their clubs in the long run.

6 Likes

Force majeure.

I’m not suggesting they let the club off with the rent but there are options such as deferments It’s happening all over at the minute, especially on commercial property.

1 Like

I suspect something along those lines is what is happening and that’s probably why the info is vague. I doubt very much Bonser is letting us off rent or paying the difference himself. It’s more likely he’s just letting us delay but expecting it in full in future. Which would help us short term but long term means he’s still getting his money. That probably wouldn’t go down well visually with a lot of fans so much easier to state he’s helping without going into the details.

1 Like

I am signed in as marbro8 mate because those were the replies to me :joy: but i have been called worse :wink:

“Who is marbro8, some kind of turd. Signs himself off as a Nott’s County fan, but in reality everything in his post says he supports Man United from his armchair.”

That explains a lot Chunks… :grin:

1 Like

Sorry mate, I see that now. It was very early when I answered.

1 Like

Those responses shouldn’t really be a surprise mate. The fans of the “League of Greed” are a mirror image of it. They can’t or don’t want to see the bigger picture. They don’t seem to understand that this is not about just football clubs it’s about communities.
Shame, but I guess that’s today’s society.

On a positive note re. the funding of WFC, we are lucky to have a steady income from the advertising board, which I don’t think any other club has.

1 Like

It’s great that fans are offering to help out - but I fear it’s not sustainable, or whether it is enough.

The responsibility lies with the Premier League, who, as far as I know collectively received £9.2bn in their latest TV rights agreement.

Just 1% of that is £92m.

Splitting that between the 72 clubs in the football league (many of whom don’t need any additional income and are still on parachute payments) is the only way.

I don’t expect this to be a popular opinion - but the fact that we are well served to weather this storm more than many other clubs is precisely because of the ethos of careful financial management that Jeff Bonser insisted upon whilst he was in charge. For all of his faults, and I agree there are many, he never allowed the club to spend above its ability to repay, he never left debtors in the local supply chain unpaid, he maintained a stable financial footing when our competitors were spending money they didn’t have, and he never defaulted on staff wages.

1 Like

He was never going to throttle the golden goose was he?

2 Likes