WFC Official and Wes McDonald

Another good example. Don’t think he’s started a league game for PNE in the year he’s been there.

Will probably be loaned back to league one next month.

Guys like Paterson, Sawyers and Rico Henry are examples of players who stayed long enough, properly developed and learnt the game and are now playing well in a higher division. Two of them could easily be premier league players next season.

4 Likes

Hope a long term deal is announced. I would now say he is my fave player. He was the standout when we were boring to watch recently.

4 Likes

The problem with today’s player’s agents is the ££££ signs they see , and don’t look to the above statement SaddlerHQ so rightfully quoted.
Hope Wes doesn’t destroy this chance and jumps ship to early like so many before him have and ended up drifting into the abyss

Hopefully the club have gone back with a better offer and this gets announced in the next few days ain’t saying what I’ve been told is gospel but it’s not usually far off the mark and I can tell you there’s no player on a permanent contract on more than 1k a week this season.

1 Like

That surely can’t be right??

The lads from rovers Clarke and Sinclair can’t see them being on less than 1500 to be fair.

1 Like

not saying its gospel but its only what i have been told by someone who knows what goes on behind the scenes and is usually correct.

I think that’s completely untrue.

1 Like

I think McDonald should and will sign. For me he at least owes DC for picking him up off the football scrap heap in the summer.

2 Likes

I agree and in the old days it would have been nailed on but there’s no loyalty in any players anymore they don’t wear the shirt like they used to it’s all about the money nowadays who’s gonna give me the most and the biggest bonuses shame really

2 Likes

Does his contract run until 31 December or 31 Jan 2020?

The deal was seen as too risky by WFC, we offered him a 6 month deal which quite frankly, is non league. It has backfired and as usual the club and fans will suffer.

He’s played for us for 6 months. He owes us nothing. It’s a short career on one he has already had blighted by injury. He will take the pay rise somewhere else, because we won’t match the other offers he has.

2 Likes

Don’t agree, I think he does owe us. at the time of signing he had been injured for best part of half a season and just been released by non-league Yeovil. So I think at the time without hindsight we made the right call in giving him a 6 month deal.

2 Likes

“The fans are excellent, they’re always giving me confidence.”

Interesting quote from him? who’d have thought that would work :wink:

1 Like

The interview / quotes read quite interestingly and, it may have just been me, but it seemed like a few little loaded comments within what he said - he mentioned ‘whenever I’m on the pitch’ or ‘when I wear the shirt’ on a few occasions, as if to comment on the fact that he has been subbed or not selected at times.

I hope he stays and if we have offered him 18 months likes someone suggested on here, hopefully that will be enough, with an improved deal too. But, as we know, money (an agents) talk so wouldn’t surprise me to see him go to a higher League 2 or lower League 1 team.

I agree. I don’t expect loyalty from any player, that way I’m not disappointed when they ■■■■ off for more money. Those days are long gone.

He only owes us until the end of his contract. Giving him a six month deal was hardly showing massive commitment from the club. Had he not performed well, we wouldn’t be now trying to keep him for longer, so it’s all up for grabs. We need to offer somewhere close to what the market says he is worth now or he will be off.

2 Likes

He’ll almost certainly be gone.

What I don’t understand is, why don’t we have the foresight when we sign players on this type of contract to add in an extension clause?!

None of us have the faintest idea about whats in players contract, what was offered, counter offered, refused and accepted.

Perhaps We did ask for a clause to extend but Wes did not want one.

Lets not slag the club off when we have not got a clue ourselves, but granted by recent history we do seem to be abit ■■■■ with contracts.

3 Likes

I’m little bit surprised, because as far as I know, he signed one year deal last June. He was released by Yeovil last January, had an injury and haven’t played till signing here https://www.ytfc.net/news/2019/january/news–mcdonald-departs/.
The only player, who had short deal expiring today, has been (is/was) Jack Kiersey. I have no idea if he is still at the club, or not.