What would make you renew or buy a season ticket for 20/21 season?

Whilst it’s good to see LP trying to get extra supporters in the ground they are very ambitious targets that he has set to try and sway people .which are likely to have little or no affect . What if anything would make you tempted to renew or purchase a season ticket???

1 Like

An idea that I thought of was if promotion was achieved a 30% discount on renewals for the league 1 campaign the following season to all those having purchased a season ticket .There for extra money available for a push for promotion which if it fails the club do not lose out.

1 Like

I think these are all great ideas.

Personally, my circumstances mean that I can’t guarantee coming to every game.*
I don’t understand why there are so many people in towns around us that have nothing in their lives.
I’m sure you all may have some ideas on this. :slight_smile:

• ( that’s not accouting for any boycott or toy chucking I want to do, over and above ! )

I think we are asking the wrong people here. In my experience the people here, differences aside, are a pretty hardcore area of the fan base who are either season ticket holders or would be but for personal circumstances.

What does worry me is whenever I do take a casual floating fan or from another club, that some might say we don’t need but I don’t think we can be so choosy in this day and age, their experience is almost always “meh”. There are still massive issues with the stadium but, to be fair, they have promised to address some of those. I think they are missing a massive trick with the beer tents. Have them outside and create a food festival type thing. Doesn’t just have to be beer either. Have food tents, appeal to the family attendees as well as the lads that go to sink a few (not a knock, I am one of those fans). Do SOMETHING with the Saddlers Club that is now left abandonned. Every away fans forum we played were gutted that place had shut. It was renowned as a good place to go before the game throughout most of the regular clubs we face. There is money there and, to link it to the original post, a decent place for any potential season ticket holders to go in addition to the stadium suite.

But we all know the bottom line. The football itself. This is where I don’t feel Pomlett understands speculating to accumulate. I know it’s hard, i know the figures are astronomical, but the one thing this club needed this summer to reignite the passion and to bring back some of the fans was an exciting team doing well in this division. I honestly feel he has let that boat sail past and I don’t know what the answer is. January showed he hadn’t learnt that lesson either.

11 Likes

The only way to sell large numbers of season tickets, is to show AMBITION. I’m afraid QUALITY signings, with the odd MARQUEE name are the only way of doing this.
The argument that you have to live within your means, is valid, however, a little bit of speculation to accumulate is worth a gamble to break the stagnation. Have the club ever come out and made it known to fans that they are going to make a REALISTIC stab at promotion??

1 Like

I’m renewing but I would have anyway without the incentives, like I’m sure near enough every season ticket holder on here is.

It’s those who don’t usually buy season tickets that we need to somehow convince to come every game and to part with a large sum of cash ahead of time.

I agree with pretty much everything @el_nombre has said in regards to things we can do, beer tents, food tents, opening the Saddlers Club back up need doing. Especially the Saddlers Club. I don’t think they realise how much of an important place that is for some fans.
Does it even need to be rented out? Why can’t the club open it and stick their own bar staff in and run it themselves?

5 Likes

If the Saddlers Club isn’t going to refurbished to a point where it can be used again, which by the looks of things it wont, the food and beer tents are definitely something the club needs to be looking into

As you said, a lot of away fans as well as home used to love going in before games so there is a big void to fill with a lot of money that can be made by the club - might also ease the burden on staff inside the ground with less demand when people get into the ground so fixes that problem too, which will have got harder for them to manage since the Saddlers club closed and not many other places local for a pre match drink

1 Like

I might print this off and frame it :wink:

4 Likes

So, here’s the thing. Despite the people who phone up WM, Walsall fans are actually quite a discerning crowd, especially if the attendance is anything to go by. The unfortunate thing is that we have a stadium and general set up which has all charm and conviviality of East German social housing. There are no facilities for ourselves, or travelling fans alike. Our ‘excellent communications’ are designed to discharge spectators from the stadium and its environs as quickly as possible. The only time that they hang around is due to the woeful ticket or bar arrangements or the single exit route via the stadium and Bescot Crescent.

I haven’t been to Northampton (it’s apt, so we’ll use it) but they seem to have a smaller but nicer stadium with quite a few things around it in a reasonable area. Oxford is similar but not as good, it only has three sides for a start, but you get the idea. I recently went to Leicester and the experience was totally incomparable, as you might expect, but would not hope.

In an ideal world, Walsall would play in genteel old ground, with a welcoming supporters club (even if it was just for visiting fans) and facilities all around it. If we can’t get permanent things, then pop-ups are the way to go. Things have moved on since greasy vans and plastic glasses of watery lager. Dare I say that some more upmarket food and craft beer could be offered, even if we pass on ‘entertainment’.

Similarly, the pre-match experience is dire and half-time little better. The little interview in the concourse at the home end was a nice touch, which seems to have disappeared. I find myself pining for the half time show that the likes of Sumo used to provide.

We are treated like cattle. We are to pay our money sit down, shout hurrah and leave as quickly as possible, in case we make a fuss – or God forbid, some sort of trouble. We are stuck in 1990. We’ve lost all the charm of the past, have no modern benefits and are still regarding as a riot in waiting.

6 Likes

If I was a walsall supporter I would buy one.
OOOps, I am! Therefore I will buy one.

4 Likes

Yes but that’s my whole point . Not everyone will renew and Pomlett wants to build the fan base but better incentives are needed for the fan who maybe goes to 10 to 15 home games to buy a season ticket to boost attendances.

1 Like

I’ll be getting one regardless and I wouldn’t have it any other way :smile:

6 Likes

Depends what is meant by better incentives.
I’ve seen posts by fans on social media in the past where they pretty much want tickets for a pittance. And they’re usually the same fans that are moaning our budget is crap.

Remember the last time we had a tickets for £10 deal? There were fans still whining that it should have been dropped to £5 to get more fans in. More like those complaining are just tight and want something for nothing. I’m sure if the club did a £5 ticket deal they’d be moaning that it should be £1.

2 Likes

Fair play to the club for trying to increase take up of season ticket sales. I hope it continues for future years and increases numbers.

In the short term I can’t really see it encouraging first time (or lapsed) season ticket sales. If on average you go to say 10 games a season I can’t see the fact that you may get £25 discount, if enough fans also purchase, as any kind of incentive to purchase.

1 Like

Surely some mistake mate.
Real Walsall supporters are this that boycotted for years down to Bonser, came back this season thinking Pomlett was promising unicorns and now talking of boycotting again because it’s not what they think they were promised! Real fans! :wink:

7 Likes

I think Pomlett sees this as a long term thing that’s going to build over the years. I doubt even he thinks we’ll get 3k next season. But it’s a target and lets fans know what’s being proposed for the future.

2 Likes

This isn’t an us against them thing. It’s no good whinging about people not being “real fans”. At the end of the day that is who the club are, and need to be, targeting.

1 Like

Hi ! :slight_smile:

I wasn’t referring to those that turn up for the odd game. More the long term fans that use this issue to try and get cheap tickets and usually turn up when we’re winning but disappear when we’re losing.

The winning and losing is all part of being a fan.
If you’re only interested when things are going good, we’re winning and you can get in cheaply then you’re not a real fan… you’re no better than a glory supporter.

I do agree the club needs to attract more fans and should be encouraged to do so… but not at the expense of it affecting the club financially.

1 Like

LOL, nobody is here for glory !

1 Like