When we actually went on FA Cup Runs

I only saw the second half of that Christmas Eve game. Coach broke down. By my reckoning, we played them five times that season, did we ever beat them?

We did beat them in the home league game, part of that really long unbeaten run we had until the wheels fell off at the end. Gurrole Walsall eh? :joy:

They were 2nd division and we were 3rd. One of my first away games.

The Vale 5-0 was just a few weeks after they’d finally beaten us, 4-1 at theirs when half our team had flu (no postponements for seasonal viruses in those days) so it was quite funny to hammer them and resume normal service.

Even funnier the return league match later that season they went two up after about 10 minutes and invaded the pitch in their excitement…we went on to win 5-2 :joy:

The following year they took the lead at our place again. I remember a really biased Central news build up to the game as we’d struggled for wins at home and they’d just splashed out on a striker called David Riley from Forest to partner Beckford and he’d scored on his debut the week before and were bristling with “it”. Sure enough he scored a cracker and we looked down and out, we equalised for a barely deserved point and then David Kelly scored following a corner in the last second of the game and the Street End exploded.

Unusually for me I was right in the middle bit having walked round from the cowshed as I had date that night that I wanted to be spot on for because the lass in question was about 3 divisions above my league, at 1-1 I just wanted to make sure I got the special. I ended up black and blue with a celebratory cracked rib…and missed the bus!

Absolutely happy days.

Lincoln (although we would be the underdogs these days)

Macclesfield

1 Like

I doubt if there were any cameras at our famous FA Cup win against Arsenal in 1933, but here’s some footage from the next round match v Man City. (Walsall are playing in the Dark grey/light grey & white).

Pathe News

3 Likes

Bluejay and I were just educating a client on the greatest football team he’s never heard of. The Arsenal triumphs of 33 and 84 featured heavily.

In 17 years it’ll be the hundredth anniversary of that famous victory…

1 Like

Blimey, it’s worse than I thought. :grimacing: I’d forgotten they were non league when they beat us.

thanks, never seen that footage before, or anything so early featuring WFC - the size of the crowd is mind boggling! I couldn’t find an attendance on Wiki though

all i remember from that game is how cold it was on the way home - took the bus back into town and then walked up to Highgate (not sure why i didn’t just walk back directly?!). Absolutely bloody freezing - though I’m sure the result didn’t help!

1 Like

I distinctly remember some footage claiming to be of the 1933 Arsenal match being shown on ‘Off The Ball’, probably on the day we were playing them in the 5th round at Highbury in 1978. It was mainly close-ups of supporters wearing their caps, waving rattles and smoking woodbines. There was a bit of action footage shown but nothing specific. Apparently the goals were not recorded as the only camera was at the end the Arse were attacking.

Lincoln one of a few clubs back in the football league after a spell in non-league and on the rise - using the forward momentum that continual success brings (something we have always failed to achieve) they have tripled their fanbase since they were last in the league.

I know NZ is behind the times but for us in the UK the 100th anniversary will be in 13 years not 17 (well 12 and a month to be exact). :wink:

I guess Exile received the majority of his arithmetic education under a Tory government.

1 Like

I assumed he was referring to the big match in 1937 when we beat Barnsley in the third round at FP having beaten Yeovil and Petters in the previous round, and lets face it beating two teams at once is always good.
Anyway, if I’m still alive in 2037 you’d better believe I shall be on here celebrating that famous victory over Barnsley, me and Exile giving it large.

3 Likes

Att v Arsenal was 11, 149 and the next round at Maine Rd was 52, 085.

1 Like

There is a minute or so of footage of the 1933 Arsenal game on the Road to Bescot video which came out around 1990

The attendance for the Arsenal game was lower than expected because the chairman (presumably Bonser’s grandad) put the prices up.

2 Likes

He had to pay the rent.

Weren’t they relegated twice out the league