Where will it end

Is it a long term project that may just end at around the same time as the next rental break agreement I wonder. ?

It’s possible we are now significantly worse off financially than before Leigh Pomlett took over. I would assume that he is now taking a salary where as Bonser always insisted he didn’t, add to that the wage for a dof and we could be another £100-£200k worse off?

1 Like

I said this about the DOF situation at the start but 99% of people wanted one , His wages and we don’t know exactly what they are would but still be what a good league 2 striker salary would be , I personally think we over thought the DOF situation possibly in league 1 it would have been a good idea but not the dog and duck league 2, Seriously what does he do for 8 hrs a day 6 days a week 48 hr working week he can’t be doing much, I think the club ie Pomlett know this as well that’s why he came out with the Fullerton drives 100s of miles or whatever it was to get deal’s over the line , Well for 1 what deal’s we signed Miller at the last minute nobody else was in for him and 2 nobody asked what he does Pomlett felt the need to tell us and the reason he felt the need to tell us is he probably goes to the office himself with all the stress and strain of running a underachieving football club and thinks what am I paying that Scottish arsehole for as he drinks his 14 cup of coffee

Did they ‘ell. More like 50:50. I was one in favour, but there were plenty on here against the idea, mainly based on the cost.

I dunno not many people were against the idea everyone was buzzing about it I think it was 50/50 after it was announced who it actually was and people did a bit of homework on the bloke.

1 Like

What makes me laugh is when people say, well, we have better facilities than Forest Green, Crawley, Stevenage etc. We should be grateful!

Well, yeah. When we were in the Championship these clubs were nonleague! You have to take note of the trajectory of these operations. While our infrastructure crumbles and falls apart, from the kiosks, to the toilets, to the roof, to the shite on the pitch, these clubs are building or planning new stands or grounds, developing new ways of competing, and generally looking forward.

Meanwhile, we push on with our 1990s model with CEO’s that think they are the bee’s knees having overseen a decline that would have seen characters at any other business fired 4 or 5 times over.

A line @philthesaddler has put on here time and again and is as close to the truth as you can get in a small number of words; Walsall FC is simply not fit for purpose.

3 Likes

DOF is the right way to go about it still for me, especially if you want young up and coming coaches. It was never going to fix our non existent networks over night.

Even if the striker situation was a farce, lets be honest Fullarton/Taylor probably had loads of targets, and what let em down? The money we offer. Simple. Forwards get your promoted, and we never pay the beans for one, let alone two. I fear for the future of the club really, we simply haven’t moved on from the 90s in what we prepared to pay, and our Academy looks to have been abandoned.

I dont buy Miller was “unwanted” by other clubs either. Plenty at our level would have had him.

I dread to think what wages we are spaffing on Ash Taylor to get splinters though.

4 Likes

In that case, the rules say we can take it back and get a refund :grin: :wink:

2 Likes

This is it strikers cost money we wont pay it.

After 10 minutes of watching Taylor at Tranmere I remember saying to @saddlerken he was a liability.

How or why we signed him is beyond belief.

2 Likes

Experienced, played a lot of games. Same as a certain Gary Liddle, looked a great acquisition when we got him.

Sometimes you get stung, just a fact of life in football. Would be amazed if he is still here next August.

2 Likes

At this point, Ash Taylor could play upfront and we wouldn’t be any worse off :laughing:

At least he can head the ball in the direction of the goal.

I think that’s fair, but like most players we sign we catch them at a point of decline.

1 Like

Yeah I think that’s about where I am aswell. For me, the recruitment of Earing is exactly the template we should be looking to replicate moving forward. A good record in the National League with plenty of room for development.

1 Like

Me also, and you can add to the ones with a good record in the National League with either promising local non-league talent (relatively cheaper end of the speculate to accumulate option) and youngsters released/coming to the end of their contracts with teams higher up too, a la Sawyers/Downing/Mantom/Holden etc.

Some will work, some wont (like any transfer really) but I’d like to think the more time and focus spent on this in the longer term would yield a much better percentage of then working than not, as opposed to the last couple of years where mainly it seemed to be the manager ringing round his mates in the game begging for players in the last few days/hours of transfer windows.

2 Likes