Zeli Ismail Signs

Fantastic signing. I’ve been wanting a proper wide man to sign for a long, long time. We severely needed one under Whitney and the only one we had in those 2 years was Zeli.

I think that Zeli has the ability to chip in with a few goals as well.

Excellent signing

Have to hope playing with wingers also brings protection to the full-backs. Mixed reviews of Leahy and Devlin last term but they weren’t well supported at times. I loved Oztumer but accommodating him as a number 10 in a 4-1-3-1-1 formation meant the FB’s were responsible for more defensive and attacking phases of our overall play than they were perhaps capable of.

1 Like

Your username is fantastic

Very good signing I thought he did well while on loan and was disappointed when he left.
I don’t think he is the player Keats pulled plug on as I am sure Keats would not give that player another chance he is showing that he will not be messed about.

We have Maz Kouyhar?

I can see him pushing Zeli for a starting place.i would be surprised if he isn’t

He was a central midfielder in the youth team so I see him as a more technical wide player than an out and out winger like Zeli, plus he’s more of a squad player currently, which is why I didn’t include the likes of Tobias Hayles-Docherty who is more of the archetypal winger.

Pleased with that.

It’s no ■■■■■■■ about 442 and he fits the bill perfectly.

The thing with orthodox wingers is that it needs orthodox full backs behind them and I worry a bit about Devlin and Leahy in that respect.

But overall it is coming together nicely. We could currently field a side something like this:-

Roberts
Devlin
Guthrie
Roberts
Leahy
Ismail
Dobson
Chambers
Morris
Cook
Bakayoko

I think Bakayoko will have every chance to realise his potential in that set-up.

Some areas of the side weaker than others. Three more players through the spine and another winger would be nice. Edwards signed and fit by bonfire night a great bonus. My guess is that one or two of those will be permanent signings plus another couple on loan.

i would still have issues with at least 3 of those players, but let’s hope they come good under deano :wink:

A good signing in my view…welcome aboard Zeli…I think he will play wide but he could play a number 10 role if needed. Now a big centre half and another midfielder and we will have the makings of a useful team if we can find a second striker too…

do you think baka can step up after being given another chance?

Not sure about that…I would keep him unless we get a reasonable fee but we will need another striker anyway to give competition for places.

1 Like

I still think we need to sign another striker, if god forbid we put all our eggs in one basket, and rely on cook and he gets injured we would be screwed.

Good signing. After a slow start Zeli had a very good spell over xmas and certainly a player who can improve further at this level.

Was a bit concerned Ginnelly was going to be first choice but Ismail first with him as back up looks decent to me.

PT makes a good point. Keates is crystal clear in how he wants to play and is making the signings to implement it whereas Whitney showed big weaknesses in this area so that should be one improvement next season…players will go out on the pitch actually knowing what to do!

1 Like

Sure a loan from premier league club will turn up sometime in August like Tyler Roberts did.

1 Like

Could be a great signing for us. Showed us what he was all about in his loan spell. Well done Deano.

When I was thinking of that first XI I dillied and dallied between Morris and Ginnelly. Ginnelly could well be impactful from the bench but I hope having played more first team football since his last spell with us that he adds more than that and gives Keates a bit of a dilemma too.

As for Bakayoko, we’ve all seen flashes of brilliance over the last couple of seasons. I honestly think the signing of Cook will bring out some consistency and take some pressure off him. If Baka is on it, centre halves will hate playing against those pair.

Suspect he may have been the player who wanted more money mid negotiation, which is why we’ve ended up with a 2 year deal including a get out clause