Is Makris the best striker ever at WFC?

The main area for messages about any current Walsall topics, players past and present, or any other topical matter which may be of interest to Walsall supporters. Opinions expressed are those of the individual posters and not those of the website owner.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
BathSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Is Makris the best striker ever at WFC?

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:10 pm

chriss5471 wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Noticed today there was an M Lalkovic on the bench for Ross County today....it's not our Meeelan is it?

What happened to him ripping up league 2 with Pompey? :mrgreen:

It is indeed, he went on loan to Ross County.

And, like at Pompey, is on the bench most of the time.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:18 pm

People were saying earlier this season he'd be the best attacker if he was still at Walsall. Bloke can't even rip up SPL. :lol:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:49 pm

Give him time they said

Play him as part of a front 2 they said

He's only young they said

Give him a run in the side they said.

Andreas Makris: 32 appearances, 14 starts, 1 goal.

Well-bRed
UTS Regular

Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:56 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Give him time they said

He looked decent today to be fair.
What did you think of his performance?

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:56 pm

Well-bRed wrote:He looked decent today to be fair.

Hope we didn't agree to a sell-on clause.

DonningtonSaddler
UTS Legend

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:16 pm

I suspect you don't go to matches Phil.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 am

DonningtonSaddler wrote:

I suspect you don't go to matches Phil.

I suspect that just shows how wrong your opinions are!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:38 am

Well-bRed wrote:

I think he's improved his movement since January, but is still nowhere near the standard for League 1. He looks lost and looks so poor that it's ridiculous to suggest he'll improve to be a decent player for us.

I only continue to mention it on this thread just to highlight how ridiculous some of the comments about him having potential are.

Mazza01
Glitterati

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:43 am

Sorry but I judge as I see. There really isn't much there to get excited about.

El_Nombre
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 am

philthesaddler wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

I think he's improved his movement since January, but is still nowhere near the standard for League 1. He looks lost and looks so poor that it's ridiculous to suggest he'll improve to be a decent player for us.

I only continue to mention it on this thread just to highlight how ridiculous some of the comments about him having potential are.

I'm sorry but, even if he turns out to be flop, having faith in a young player to come good isn't "ridiculous". You have to give players a chance or nobody would ever develop.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 am

El_Nombre wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

I'm sorry but, even if he turns out to be flop, having faith in a young player to come good isn't "ridiculous". You have to give players a chance or nobody would ever develop.

I don't remember Michael Ngoo getting "a chance", or Liam Dickinson et al, before they were written off

El_Nombre
UTS Regular

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:18 am

philthesaddler wrote:
El_Nombre wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
Well-bRed wrote:

I don't remember Michael Ngoo getting "a chance", or Liam Dickinson et al, before they were written off

Oh christ we've heard this one before....

"Because Liam Dickinson had been in the country for his entire career, was signed on loan, was 24 year old and had already played for Stockport, Derby, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Leeds, Brighton, Peterborough and Barnsley. And, with the benefit of hindsight, the criticism was absolutely justified considering his best season since that spell was 9 goals for Stalybridge Celtic.

Whereas Makris has just arrived here from a different country, was signed as future prospect for a fee, is only 21 and has only made 11 starts in this country to date. Generally you give those types of players a bit more patience, it's common sense." (my response to one of the other times you've used that exact argument).

And even ignoring all of those perfectly valid points, what are you suggesting here? That because those players got a hard time we should do the same with Makris? Boo him when he gets on the ball? Lob abuse at him? Great support
Last edited by El_Nombre on Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:19 am

philthesaddler wrote:I don't remember Michael Ngoo getting "a chance", or Liam Dickinson et al, before they were written off

So you are comparing two loan players from other clubs in the English league who's job it is to come in and give an instant impact to a player who has been signed on a three year contract from a different league?

WSTFC

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:33 pm

chriss5471 wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I don't remember Michael Ngoo getting "a chance", or Liam Dickinson et al, before they were written off

So you are comparing two loan players from other clubs in the English league who's job it is to come in and give an instant impact to a player who has been signed on a three year contract from a different league?

Don't worry Chris, this a man who wouldn't put a bet on via Twitter. He wanted me to bet £100 that Makris wouldn't score (can't remember if it was before end of season or Xmas), but I offered it at £200. He wouldn't take it though, he just wanted me to have the liability alone.

Anyway, don't argue with Phil, he is a footballing genius it appears

chunkster
UTS Legend

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:04 pm

The one thing i have learned about Makris is the fact that he looked the most relieved and proudest player i have seen for a long time after scoring his first goal, and could't wait to celebrate with the fans for sticking by him, and the way the other players celebrated with him shows how much they think of him as well. At 21 he really is a babe in arms, and maybe we should judge him on next seasons performances :wink:

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:44 pm

So every comment considered, it is safe to say that we all agree Makris is the best striker ever at WFC?

windowman
UTS Legend

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 am

chriss5471 wrote:So every comment considered, it is safe to say that we all agree Makris is the best striker ever at WFC?

Yes, except Phil, Phils still on the fence lol

WSTFC

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:36 pm

windowman wrote:
chriss5471 wrote:So every comment considered, it is safe to say that we all agree Makris is the best striker ever at WFC?

:lol: He's got splinters in his arse as we speak

chriss5471
UTS Veteran

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:35 am

WSTFC wrote:
windowman wrote:

:lol: He's got splinters in his arse as we speak

See he has something in common with Andreas both have splinters Phil's from sitting on the fence and Makris' from sitting on the bench :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Watched him closely today and my big impression is he's just too slow to anticipate things so I wouldn't persist playing him as CF as he just isn't a big nuisance for the CBs.

He's not that big, strong or fast and so many times when the ball was punted forward he was on his heels not anticipating and the CB nipped in to clear. This didn't happen once but four or five times.

I think he'd be better playing just off a main striker but then Ozzy has that position sewn up.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:37 pm

I see Makris had another storming game today, so much so he was taken off at half time to save Coventry's blushes

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:40 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Watched him closely today and my big impression is he's just too slow to anticipate things so I wouldn't persist playing him as CF as he just isn't a big nuisance for the CBs.

He's not that big, strong or fast and so many times when the ball was punted forward he was on his heels not anticipating and the CB nipped in to clear. This didn't happen once but four or five times.

I think he'd be better playing just off a main striker but then Ozzy has that position sewn up.

So he's not big, not strong, not fast and has no idea where to be on the pitch...so he should really be playing at the fulcrum of our attack! Great thinking batman

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:46 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Watched him closely today and my big impression is he's just too slow to anticipate things so I wouldn't persist playing him as CF as he just isn't a big nuisance for the CBs.

So he's not big, not strong, not fast and has no idea where to be on the pitch...so he should really be playing at the fulcrum of our attack! Great thinking batman

He certainly can't play as lone striker who can hold it up and stretch defences. In fairness Baka is a million miles off that aswell but at least he has the raw attributes.

I just think maybe in that position between midfield and attack where he can get a little more space on the ball he might be more threatening.

I saw little today and in the other games that suggested this is a player who's going to rip up league 1 next season.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Regarding Baka - I agree, I think there's something there we can work with. He's not really pushed on this season, but he's scored a few goals. There's something there, and at the very least he's got physicality, so under the right management he can at least make a nuisance of himself.

Regarding Makris I've said all season I see absolutely nothing in his game, I'm shocked that we signed him, let alone paid a fee for him, and that makes me suspect something else is at play. Baka isn't anywhere near the quality we should have playing up front for us, but there is something there to work with - with AM, there just isn't. I just can't see anything to form the basis of a professional footballer - and the biggest thing, as you rightly point out is his movement - I noticed that the first time I saw him, he looked like someone who had never played football before, he just didn't know where to be. Then he had that break from the team, and when he came back you could see they'd worked hard on his movement because there was a marked difference - but as you point out, it's not just the move the make, it's when you make it. Anticipation wise, Makris is several seconds behind everyone else, and that's one of the major reasons he's struggled so badly.

Anticipation is huge in football - remember Steve Staunton playing for us? Could barely run, but because he had a world-class footballing brain, he always had a few yards head start on opposing players just because he read the game so well.

Mazza01
Glitterati

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:43 am

He's terrible , I also don't see any attributes either to suggest that he may come good.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:43 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I see Makris had another storming game today, so much so he was taken off at half time to save Coventry's blushes

Our tactical genius always fetches him off, it's his stock substitution.
He clearly ignores the fact that Bakayoko is doing his best to ruin a good season for himself.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:59 pm

I want Makris to do well. He seems like a nice lad and obviously wants to make it work, but it's very hard to identify what the club saw in him to dish out that money.

He's not quick, not strong and has run-of-the-mil technical ability. He works hard, but when that's the best you can say about a forward, it's not normally a good sign.

I know he's young, in a new country and all that, but even so, you'd of thought we'd have seen a glimpse of something to pin our hopes on?

To be brutally honest, his season reminds me of Troy Hewitt, one great goal, plenty of hard work, but not a lot else.

Come on Andreas, prove me wrong!

Cowshed
UTS Veteran

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:59 pm

pumajaguar wrote:I want Makris to do well. He seems like a nice lad and obviously wants to make it work, but it's very hard to identify what the club saw in him to dish out that money.

He's not quick, not strong and has run-of-the-mil technical ability. He works hard, but when that's the best you can say about a forward, it's not normally a good sign.

I know he's young, in a new country and all that, but even so, you'd of thought we'd have seen a glimpse of something to pin our hopes on?

To be brutally honest, his season reminds me of Troy Hewitt, one great goal, plenty of hard work, but not a lot else.

I agree with this

He's under contract so we gave to keep him and hope he can be of some use next year but I don't see any quality

I know it's a new country and league etc but was this not the same for leito and just look at the difference. Leito got more game time because he made an immediate impact. For me leito is the benchmark with foreign players

killers left foot
UTS Regular

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:23 pm

bobbins again yesterday send him out on loan to rushall

Mazza01
Glitterati

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:28 pm

pumajaguar wrote:I want Makris to do well. He seems like a nice lad and obviously wants to make it work, but it's very hard to identify what the club saw in him to dish out that money.

You beat me to it, there's Very little difference in quality and potential shown between Makris and Hewitt.

PreviousNext
Return to All about Walsall