Merson

The main area for messages about any current Walsall topics, players past and present, or any other topical matter which may be of interest to Walsall supporters. Opinions expressed are those of the individual posters and not those of the website owner.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
JonnyOwen
Site Addict

Merson

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:06 am

He's been talking about us a lot in the press it seems! His reign was around the time I first started going in 2003 when I was 7, but to me from as someone who wasn't full developed (?) when he was manager his comments on the whole seem fair to me and he has a lot of nice things to say.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2017/11/14/merson-i-was-too-soft-as-walsall-boss/

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/walsall-fc/2017/11/14/no-danger-of-drop-under-whitney-insists-merse/

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Merson

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:30 am

Fantastic player, one of the best i have had the good fortune to watch. And as he said a nice bloke, i remember chatting to him at jimmy walkers testimonial and there were no heirs or graces about him :wink:

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:50 am

Time has healed a lot of the wounds where Merson is concerned, and it's good to see him talking about his time as our manager in reflective terms- historically on Sky, it's been used as a stick to tickle him and beat us with.

I'm sure he tried his best and did what he thought was right at the time, and we all wanted him to succeed. That said, his tenure as manager definitely went on longer than it should have- luckily we bounced back pretty quickly under Money.

Interesting to see him talk about using too many young players- obviously Fryatt and Bennett rose to prominence under his stewardship, and at the other end of the scale, Leroy Williams, Darryl Taylor, Taiwo Ateino and Johnny Harkness spring to mind. Do we reckon any of the latter group may have enjoyed a different career trajectory under another manager?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:13 pm

Those thunderbastards against WBA. Jizz was spilt.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:37 pm

chunkster wrote:... there were no heirs or graces about him.

He has six kids from his two (failed) marriages! :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:08 pm

fudge him.

Did his level best to ruin our club with his slack attitude.

Cringe every time I see him passing judgement on other managers on Sky.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:15 pm

tinned wrote:fudge him.

Did his level best to ruin our club with his slack attitude.

Cringe every time I see him passing judgement on other managers on Sky.

Heard he's a massive ballbag too. My dad was on a golfing weekend and was eating in the same restaurant as Merson. Apparently he kicked up a fuss about paying the bill throwing around the "Do you actually know who I am?!" line to all the waiters. Entitled twerp.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Setting a bad example to our crop of younger players by regularly taking them out on the piss.

Encouraging players not to attend Ian Roper's testimonial dinner because he wasn't one of 'the lads' and preferred to spend time with his family rather than go out out on the piss.

Taking training sessions from his car, shouting instructions from his wound down window.

Putting Scott Dann on a free transfer.

Talking down the value of Matty Fryatt.

Going all out for the win at Slough in an attempt to collect on a bet.

Don't worry about any of the above though, apparently he's a nice fella :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm

tinned wrote:Setting a bad example to our crop of younger players by regularly taking them out on the piss.

Encouraging players not to attend Ian Roper's testimonial dinner because he wasn't one of 'the lads' and preferred to spend time with his family rather than go out out on the piss.

Taking training sessions from his car, shouting instructions from his wound down window.

Virtual Soccer Academy

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 pm

When I asked him at a sportsman evening whether he still looked out for results his response was not while Whitney was in charge! It appeared there was no love lost, though I can imagine with Mersons laid back approach to training and Whitney’s overly intense approach there must have been numerous disagreements!

He must have changed his mind since then or it is a slow news day for the E & S.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:28 pm

tinned wrote:Setting a bad example to our crop of younger players by regularly taking them out on the piss.

Completely agree!

I want Whitney gone, but I acknowledge he’s trying his best, he just isn’t good enough.

Compare that to Merson who wasn’t good enough but he also treated being manager as a laugh! The guy was a disgrace whilst in the job. And since leaving us he’s spent plenty of time having a laugh about his tenure like it was a big joke. Yes, Paul. You getting us relegated and putting us on the brink of a 2nd relegation before you got booted was hilarious wasn’t it you utter bellend!

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:02 pm

If you are refering to my comment? then i was talking about the person i met and chatted with on a few occassions, not on his inability to manage.

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:41 pm

As others have said, the guy was a chancer who found the club in the Championship and effectively left it in League Two.

For all the stick Whitney gets, he was nowhere near Merson's level of clueless.

Think we used over 50 players in one of his seasons? The only reason we didn't have back-to-back relegations was because we drafted in Julian Joachim and a couple of other decent players on late-season loans.

The biggest crime was the fact Bonser first gave him the job on a temporary basis, hardly a sound decision considering his numerous personal problems. Then, despite getting us relegated, he got the job full-time. He then nearly gets us relegated again, but keeps his job and is only finally sacked when relegation to League Two is inevitable.

What the hell was Bonser thinking!

As for the Express and Star article, I'm not quite sure how you can describe taking over a team two points clear of the relegation zone with four games left and getting them relegated on goal difference (by one goal!) as "almost pulling off a great escape".

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 pm

pumajaguar wrote:As others have said, the guy was a chancer who found the club in the Championship and effectively left it in League Two.

For all the stick Whitney gets, he was nowhere near Merson's level of clueless.

Think we used over 50 players in one of his seasons? The only reason we didn't have back-to-back relegations was because we drafted in Julian Joachim and a couple of other decent players on late-season loans.

The biggest crime was the fact Bonser first gave him the job on a temporary basis, hardly a sound decision considering his numerous personal problems. Then, despite getting us relegated, he got the job full-time. He then nearly gets us relegated again, but keeps his job and is only finally sacked when relegation to League Two is inevitable.

What the hell was Bonser thinking!

As for the Express and Star article, I'm not quite sure how you can describe taking over a team two points clear of the relegation zone with four games left and getting them relegated on goal difference (by one goal!) as "almost pulling off a great escape".

And remember that Bonser only finally got rid of him after Whalley pushed him to when there was fan unrest.

Bonser would have quite happily kept him on, he was so enamoured and pally with Merson.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Highlight: debut v West Brom. Outstanding individual performance and "worldy" goals. Also possibly the most complete footballing performance I have ever witnessed by a Walsall team. Walked away dreaming of the Premiership :D

Lowlight: 5-0 drubbing away at Griffin Park. The most inept Saddlers' performance I've witnessed with a team utterly clueless as to their roles. The first ten, farcical minutes set the tone.

Much in between the two extremes but one name to throw out there: Mads Timm. :wink:

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 pm

chunkster wrote:

If you are refering to my comment? then i was talking about the person i met and chatted with on a few occassions, not on his inability to manage.

Your comment did prompt my post, but mainly it's a reply to a number of occasions I've read the 'nice bloke' line.

kshammer
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Had great moments as a player but should never been considered for the manager role.

Didn't knocking about with him leave Wracky potless after a decent career?

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:37 pm

tinned wrote:
chunkster wrote:

Your comment did prompt my post, but mainly it's a reply to a number of occasions I've read the 'nice bloke' line.
After reading some of the posts on here i realise that he appears to be a complete knob :| and i must admit that at the time he was manager i went on wm and spoke live to daz hale (after quite a few socos) and described him as an ex alcoholic drug taking prig that if left in charge would take us down again, i think dale was quite astounded at the time but they didn't cut me off air :mrgreen:

Gripper
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:17 am

kshammer wrote:Had great moments as a player but should never been considered for the manager role.

Didn't knocking about with him leave Wracky potless after a decent career?

No idea if it was Merson related but footballers with Gambling problems are hardly rare situations.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 am

Merse occasionally drinks at my local so I might show him this thread on my phone if I bump into him in the near future. :wink:

It's fair to say his brains are in his feet. You need a bit more to be a manager I'm afraid.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 pm

One of my favourite stories I heard about him was long after he left Walsall, when he was doing a Q&A session in Yates, Walsall.
First question somebody stood up and said to Merson, you came to Walsall as a hero and you left as a **** (starts with C and ends in T) :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:01 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Merse occasionally drinks at my local so I might show him this thread on my phone if I bump into him in the near future. :wink:

It's fair to say his brains are in his feet. You need a bit more to be a manager I'm afraid.
:lol: there is always something to come back and bite you on the arse :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:23 pm

The bloke's an arse who is only now trying to evaluate his Walsall fiasco as he ponders another managerial role.

He's probably fantastic company, but a complete waster and never a manager of a professional football club.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Over The Moon wrote:One of my favourite stories I heard about him was long after he left Walsall, when he was doing a Q&A session in Yates, Walsall.
First question somebody stood up and said to Merson, you came to Walsall as a hero and you left as a **** (starts with C and ends in T) :D

That's more of a statement than a question though isn't it?

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:29 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:The bloke's an arse who is only now trying to evaluate his Walsall fiasco as he ponders another managerial role.

He's probably fantastic company, but a complete waster and never a manager of a professional football club.

Bit like Jon Whitney then.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:58 pm

tinned wrote:
Over The Moon wrote:One of my favourite stories I heard about him was long after he left Walsall, when he was doing a Q&A session in Yates, Walsall.
Somebody stood up and said to Merson, you came to Walsall as a hero and you left as a **** (starts with C and ends in T) :D

That's more of a statement than a question though isn't it?

Better Mr Roe, I might just stick to talking about cricket :wink:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am

swampysaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:The bloke's an arse who is only now trying to evaluate his Walsall fiasco as he ponders another managerial role.

Harsh.

I don't anyone could contest that Whitney tries his best at whatever he does. A complete waster? Someone who has spent over 10 years at Walsall. OK. :roll:
Merson: *shrug* 'Who fancies a drink before we hit the betting shop' in his stupid high pitched cockney twang. He even fails to implode as spectacularly as Gazza, simply meandering lazily to his next disaster. I wouldn't wipe my arse with him. I hope he does get to read this.

Whitney is worth 1000 Merscums.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:17 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Harsh.

I don't anyone could contest that Whitney tries his best at whatever he does. A complete waster? Someone who has spent over 10 years at Walsall. OK. :roll:
Merson: *shrug* 'Who fancies a drink before we hit the betting shop' in his stupid high pitched cockney twang. He even fails to implode as spectacularly as Gazza, simply meandering lazily to his next disaster. I wouldn't wipe my arse with him. I hope he does get to read this.

I agree with Saigon (last time that happened was when Saigon last said "I think it's my round") :D

Even though I think Whitney is way out of his depth I'd much rather have a Whitney trying and failing than I would a Merson pissing the clubs future up the wall.

Whaleoilbeefhooked
UTS Regular

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 pm

A lasting memory if of watching us play at pride park (I believe we won 1-0 with a late penalty after being battered for 85 minutes circa 2004). Very angry scenes after the match with all sorts being thrown at the bus.

A friend and i were aimlessly shouting players over for their signatures and Merson noticed then took the time to come over, invite us on to the pitch for 5-10 minutes and have a kick about with their mascot, himself and others.

Got back up to my seats to relay the story to my father (Who posts on here and still does not believe this story to be true) what had just occurred to which he informed me he had no real view of the pitch from the bar area. A sentiment i now understand.

As others have said, a real character but should never have been trusted in a managerial position.

swampysaddler
Glitterati

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:32 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
swampysaddler wrote:

Harsh.

Given the "waster" bit is harsh, but the football club manager bit is very close to the truth.

Next
Return to All about Walsall