FANS FOCUS MEETING 11th JANUARY 6.30pm

The main area for messages about any current Walsall topics, players past and present, or any other topical matter which may be of interest to Walsall supporters. Opinions expressed are those of the individual posters and not those of the website owner.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: FANS FOCUS MEETING 11th JANUARY 6.30pm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:17 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:So having bought the freehold for £250K, and having taken something like £8-10M in rent over the past 25 years, our number one fan may use The club's Deeney money to buy it back from himself for between £5-7M.

You couldn't make it up

What else did you think would happen?

He engineered the situation for precisely this outcome - because it's owned by a separate and tax-relieved entity (the pension fund), he can't just "gift" the land to the club, boo-hoo, so instead the club will have to fork out market value for it.

I've been saying for nearly 20 years that Bonser is a leech - he set this up to make him a very rich man at the expense of the football club. How any defends him is beyond me.

Yeah, I get the financials/market rate stuff. The galling bit is that instead of the money from Deeney being used to strengthen the team etc, and therefore benefiting the paying customers, it ends up transferring from Bonser's left pocket to his right pocket. Then, when he then sells the lot he benefits again.

UTS Legend

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:So having bought the freehold for £250K, and having taken something like £8-10M in rent over the past 25 years, our number one fan may use The club's Deeney money to buy it back from himself for between £5-7M.

You couldn't make it up

He engineered the situation for precisely this outcome - because it's owned by a separate and tax-relieved entity (the pension fund), he can't just "gift" the land to the club, boo-hoo, so instead the club will have to fork out market value for it.

I've been saying for nearly 20 years that Bonser is a leech - he set this up to make him a very rich man at the expense of the football club. How any defends him is beyond me.

Yeah, I get the financials/market rate stuff. The galling bit is that instead of the money from Deeney being used to strengthen the team etc, and therefore benefiting the paying customers, it ends up transferring from Bonser's left pocket to his right pocket. Then, when he then sells the lot he benefits again.

Welcome back, Chester! :)

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Agree with others ref the freehold valuation

bought for £250k

Revenue generated over period of ownership: Approx £13M?..

JB’s valuation (laughable by the way): £5-7M Such a large variation confirms he’s continuing to speculate on just how much he can extract from the club :evil:

JB’s (now confirmed) assessment of how the club may possibly buy it from him (this is the best bit): From the potential sell on clause from Troy Deeney!! Based on nothing but hope and speculation....

Factually if the above was to happen (I’m assuming the SOC was 25% but I’m genuinely unsure) then Deeney would need to be sold for £20M for the £5M purchase of the freehold and £28M for the £7M - I’m no football agent but this is not going to happen is it???

As someone else posted - JB has constructed a very clever and manipulative system where he milks the club for millions

Me, like many others, I’m just a mug to put up with it all but no longer I’m afraid, I’ve now had enough and frankly have stopped attending games - I know I’ll be accused of not being a real supporter but after 40+ years, I’m happy with my decision but I’m certainly not happy to have had to make it.....

I hope Saturdays protest goes well and gets some decent media coverage if at all possible and I fully respect those who wish to protest this way but I fear it’ll all be lost on JB - we know now he actually couldn’t care less what we think or do otherwise he’d say so......

All very sad - UTS

pumajaguar
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Can't believe the club is still peddling the 'philosophy' line. Have they watched us play in the last 18 months?

If it ever existed it went down the motorway with Dean Smith.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm

machew wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Interesting.

MOssive turnout, reflecting both the passion and frustration of loyal supporters.

Big winner of the night was Whitney, who came across as passionate without being emotional, committed to the club and the players and pretty robust all round.
Commendation also for Pomlett who seemed honest and straight-talking. Pity he ruled himself out of becoming the chairman, possibly because he couldn't live with himself doing what Bonser has pulled off.

Biggest loser was the absent Bonser, along with his mewling apologist WM Alan. :roll:

I also thought poor Diane with the roving mic was commendable, especially during the second half of the night where she was running from one side of the room to the other.

For the record I was the guy who suggested JW had been thrown under the bus by JB.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Asps wrote:
machew wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:Interesting.

MOssive turnout, reflecting both the passion and frustration of loyal supporters.

Big winner of the night was Whitney, who came across as passionate without being emotional, committed to the club and the players and pretty robust all round.
Commendation also for Pomlett who seemed honest and straight-talking. Pity he ruled himself out of becoming the chairman, possibly because he couldn't live with himself doing what Bonser has pulled off.

Biggest loser was the absent Bonser, along with his mewling apologist WM Alan. :roll:

I also thought poor Diane with the roving mic was commendable, especially during the second half of the night where she was running from one side of the room to the other.

For the record I was the guy who suggested JW had been thrown under the bus by JB.

Mmmm Diane did a great job. Very milfy too. Rotate!!

Sorry, took my trust hat off there for a moment. :mrgreen:

UTS Legend

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 pm

Asps wrote:A decent report from our friends at Bescot Banter: -

https://www.bescotbanter.net/2018/01/fa ... m=facebook

Apparently JW's had offers. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the report.

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:37 pm

pumajaguar wrote:Can't believe the club is still peddling the 'philosophy' line. Have they watched us play in the last 18 months?

If it ever existed it went down the motorway with Dean Smith.

The best football I’ve ever seen us play was in the ‘83-84 season under Alan Buckley and then flashes under Big Jan (Peron and Boli) and then when Merson first joined, playing with Samways and Corica. We were functional, but not that entertaining, under Sir Ray and played some very good stuff in Deano’s final season - before that, under Deano, we were pretty boring to watch, consistently overplaying and not having enough shots on target. I’d rather we won games, scoring a few goals along the way: I’m not too fussed how we do it.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:46 pm

tinned wrote:

You couldn't make it up

I think I may copy and paste this post and use it to reply to the Bonser apologists every time they trot out the old mantra's "We're a well run club", "Bonser is our number 1 fan" and "Without Bonser there'd be no Walsall FC".

Anyone who blindly defends this leech needs to sit and have a stiff word with themselves.

And has to face no backlash personally whatsoever by simply not attending any forum or event where he might get asked awkward questions related to how he has profiteered.

We're a well run conferences and events facility. And they wonder why we struggle with attendances.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:50 pm

tinned wrote:

You couldn't make it up

I think I may copy and paste this post and use it to reply to the Bonser apologists every time they trot out the old mantra's "We're a well run club", "Bonser is our number 1 fan" and "Without Bonser there'd be no Walsall FC".

Anyone who blindly defends this leech needs to sit and have a stiff word with themselves.

Do you think that "Alan from Willenhall" reads the posts on UTS?

Never have I heard such an apologist for the unacceptable. Not only does his moronic voice embarrass every Saddlers fan when he phones in to BBC Radio Dingle but he is totally in love with Jeff Bonser! Either he needs help or he is related to Jeff Bonser.

At least he brought the meeting to a close as everybody got up to go when he started to speak. :lol:

wednesburysaddler
Glitterati

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:06 pm

heres a question don't shoot me

would you all be happy if a big local club with money to burn ( wolves maybe ) bought the club to filter through young kids to feed into their champions league campaign in 3 years time.
would remain as Walsall fc would have feeder players and a decent budget to bring in players to develop for main club
we would be furnished with a decent tactical football playing manager and maybe reduced ticket costs.

or would we rather have the devil we know and carry on the same cycle for next 20 years

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:13 pm

wednesburysaddler wrote:heres a question don't shoot me

would you all be happy if a big local club with money to burn ( wolves maybe ) bought the club to filter through young kids to feed into their champions league campaign in 3 years time.
would remain as Walsall fc would have feeder players and a decent budget to bring in players to develop for main club
we would be furnished with a decent tactical football playing manager and maybe reduced ticket costs.

or would we rather have the devil we know and carry on the same cycle for next 20 years
Neither tbh :|

coop63
Glitterati

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 pm

I don’t think anyone will chastise you for raising it but how sad is it that this is the level to which we’ve descended even contemplating it....

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:38 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

You couldn't make it up

Short term yes, but the club owning its own ground means long term we have an extra 400k a season to the budget ... every season.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:51 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Short term yes, but the club owning its own ground means long term we have an extra 400k a season to the budget ... every season.

Not just that but it gives us collateral - which is really important in football - it give us the ability to give longer contracts...pay transfer fees etc, because all of a sudden we have a whopping big asset to back up our finances.

(This can also be a bad thing, eg an attraction to asset strippers, but I would imagine that IF the club ever get the chance to own the freehold again, it will be put in to a trust, or some other form of protection)

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:05 pm

coop63 wrote:I don’t think anyone will chastise you for raising it but how sad is it that this is the level to which we’ve descended even contemplating it....
A bit like hobsons choice :|

dobbster71
UTS Veteran

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:36 pm

In my opinion being a Feeder Club for another English football club would not work. Why? Well, WFC would lose its identity completely. Who would want to watch a team full of, say, Wolves reserves? Furthermore, imagine being surrounded by Wolves fans at each game. Doesn't bear thinking about!

Feeder clubs can & do work, however the parent club is usually from another country, eg. Manchester City - Girona FC (Spain). Maybe, if we play a bit more tikki-takka, Barcelona might just come calling!!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:46 pm

dobbster71 wrote:In my opinion being a Feeder Club for another English football club would not work. Why? Well, WFC would lose its identity completely. Who would want to watch a team full of, say, Wolves reserves? Furthermore, imagine being surrounded by Wolves fans at each game. Doesn't bear thinking about!

Feeder clubs can & do work, however the parent club is usually from another country, eg. Manchester City - Girona FC (Spain). Maybe, if we play a bit more tikki-takka, Barcelona might just come calling!!

Exactly!

I’d rather go bust and start again than be involved with the Dingles!

chunkster
Site Addict

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:12 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
dobbster71 wrote:In my opinion being a Feeder Club for another English football club would not work. Why? Well, WFC would lose its identity completely. Who would want to watch a team full of, say, Wolves reserves? Furthermore, imagine being surrounded by Wolves fans at each game. Doesn't bear thinking about!

Exactly!

Or villa/ west brom :|

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:47 am

Didn't Bunter pay £249k for the land? Need to remind myself...

saddlertd
UTS Veteran

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:02 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:

Exactly!

Personally, I wouldn’t care if we did go bust and started again as AFC Walsall. That way, we could get away from Boner and he wouldn’t get all the millions he will get under the current arrangements. At the moment, Walsall F(inancial) C(oncern) is not run for the fans, it’s run solely for the benefit of one man and his connections (in my opinion!).

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:05 am

saddlertd wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:

Exactly!

Personally, I wouldn’t care if we did go bust and started again as AFC Walsall. That way, we could get away from Boner and he wouldn’t get all the millions he will get under the current arrangements. At the moment, Walsall F(inancial) C(oncern) is not run for the fans, it’s run solely for the benefit of one man and his connections (in my opinion!).

I agree. Bonser out at all costs. The surgery might be painful, even fatal, but the reward of at last being reconnected with a club we can properly call our own is beyond measure.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I've been saying for nearly 20 years that Bonser is a leech - he set this up to make him a very rich man at the expense of the football club. How any defends him is beyond me.

This and this again

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Cheesebag wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I've been saying for nearly 20 years that Bonser is a leech - he set this up to make him a very rich man at the expense of the football club. How any defends him is beyond me.

This and this again

He's a got a fan in WM Alan. :wink:

kshammer
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 pm

The AFC Walsall idea seems the only way out of it.

Ive considered jacking my season ticket in to watch a local non league club anyway and so would make little difference.

I only really attend due to the laugh I have with the blokes around me. I have no bond with any of the players like I did I the past due to it being a conveyor belt now. Match day is attending a stadium we overpay for, to eat cack food, watch cack football and with the only thing improving each year being the pension fund.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:25 pm

kshammer wrote:The AFC Walsall idea seems the only way out of it.

Ive considered jacking my season ticket in to watch a local non league club anyway and so would make little difference.

I only really attend due to the laugh I have with the blokes around me. I have no bond with any of the players like I did I the past due to it being a conveyor belt now. Match day is attending a stadium we overpay for, to eat cack food, watch cack football and with the only thing improving each year being the pension fund.

You mean you're not satisfied with the 'we're a well run club' line and a shiny new 'The Venue, Birmingham' sign? :wink:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:38 pm

With the protest the main issue should be the future of the lease.

Bonser is in his 70s so isn't going to be around forever (likes of Ellis , Dave Whelan and dand Bates sold up in their mid 70s) so failing health could well force that issue in the future.

There will be new owners one day but the freehold of Bescot would still be a big issue so to me consistently questioning/prompting the club to start having a serious discussion about it rather than just paying lip service every couple of months is way to go I think.

Just chanting Bonser out outside the entrance won't change anything.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:52 am

Not sure if this has been touched on previously but I Couldn't help but notice that a certain BCB Boxing promotions who stages events on a regular basis at the ground is heavily invested in by our very own Mr Mole, its seems to me that its not just a certain Mr Bonser that's making a few quid out of the stadium.

El_Nombre
Glitterati

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:37 am

Mazza01 wrote:Not sure if this has been touched on previously but I Couldn't help but notice that a certain BCB Boxing promotions who stages events on a regular basis at the ground is heavily invested in by our very own Mr Mole, its seems to me that its not just a certain Mr Bonser that's making a few quid out of the stadium.

To be fair to him that's very different to the Bonsor situation. If he makes a few quid and it ultimately benefits the club then great!

We pay out to the pension fund, we don't make anything from it.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am

El_Nombre wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:Not sure if this has been touched on previously but I Couldn't help but notice that a certain BCB Boxing promotions who stages events on a regular basis at the ground is heavily invested in by our very own Mr Mole, its seems to me that its not just a certain Mr Bonser that's making a few quid out of the stadium.

To be fair to him that's very different to the Bonsor situation. If he makes a few quid and it ultimately benefits the club then great!

We pay out to the pension fund, we don't make anything from it.

No I agree, it certainly wasn't me having a go it was just something I came about. But it also kind of highlights why there is such an interest in our commercial side of things.

Previous
Return to All about Walsall