Please be nice to Jon...and his kids!

The main area for messages about any current Walsall topics, players past and present, or any other topical matter which may be of interest to Walsall supporters. Opinions expressed are those of the individual posters and not those of the website owner.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Please be nice to Jon...and his kids!

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Awww, lets show him some love! :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43034536

Funny how the interview didn't mention how 'he' got us to the playoffs after SO'D's sacking but completely failed to push on from that and made an absolute hash of the promotion bid! But at least everyone is putting a shift in!!

chunkster
Site Addict

Re: Please be nice to Jon...and his kids!

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:11 pm

I think his game plan is to gradually grind us down until we just give in :|

Mason1

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:31 pm

I think we should back him and the team all the way until the end of the season and then review it from there

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:43 pm

I think that he deserves a break, he is one of the most loyal servants the club has had for a long time and he has earned his chance at managing the team.

The fans should support the team and get behind them to try and give them encouragement, not keep helping the opposition with the way that they act.
I realise that it is worse at away games but that's because a certain section of the crowd are just out for a boozy afternoon and they think its fun to chant abuse. If JW has got one thing wrong it is thanking the fans for turning up at Blackpool because it would be a far better experience for the majority of fans if a certain small group did not bother going.

Just my opinion of course.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:20 am

Optimistic wrote:I think that he deserves a break, he is one of the most loyal servants the club has had for a long time and he has earned his chance at managing the team.

The fans should support the team and get behind them to try and give them encouragement, not keep helping the opposition with the way that they act.
I realise that it is worse at away games but that's because a certain section of the crowd are just out for a boozy afternoon and they think its fun to chant abuse. If JW has got one thing wrong it is thanking the fans for turning up at Blackpool because it would be a far better experience for the majority of fans if a certain small group did not bother going.

I agree.... lets just give in and accept mediocrity

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:56 am

Blokes a prat!! sooner he goes the better.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:02 am

Mazza01 wrote:Blokes a prat!! sooner he goes the better.

Don't know about a pratt but definatly not a manager

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 am

Cheesebag wrote:

sorry I hadn't had my morning Coffee , seriously though he's Footballs equivalent of David Brent.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:39 am

Mazza01 wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:

sorry I hadn't had my morning Coffee , seriously though he's Footballs equivalent of David Brent.

The David Brent comparison is perfect. It's literally exactly how I see him.

chunkster
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:41 am

Mazza01 wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:

He ain’t THAT good :lol:

Walsall_Casual
Glitterati

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:50 am

Arrrhhhh bless him and them.

I’m sick and tired of this nonsense.

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:07 am

It comes to something when the Manager has to appeal to fans to support our young players. It doesn't matter whether we rate the Manager or not.....I cannot wait for the end of all this nonsense. It really getting a pain for those of us who simply want to go along and support our team.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:17 am

Walsallone wrote:It comes to something when the Manager has to appeal to fans to support our young players. It doesn't matter whether we rate the Manager or not.....I cannot wait for the end of all this nonsense. It really getting a pain for those of us who simply want to go along and support our team.

The fact we are relying on young players is a reason in itself to be unhappy with Whitney.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:59 am

Walsallone wrote:It comes to something when the Manager has to appeal to fans to support our young players. It doesn't matter whether we rate the Manager or not.....I cannot wait for the end of all this nonsense. It really getting a pain for those of us who simply want to go along and support our team.

Hang on Walsallone , how many times has Jon thrown a number of these players under the Bus this season? Double standards maybe?

He needs to practice what he preaches.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 am

Mazza01 wrote:

Hang on Walsallone , how many times has Jon thrown a number of these players under the Bus this season? Double standards maybe?

He needs to practice what he preaches.

It really is a mess and I find it hard to believe that some will turn a blind eye to it.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 am

The thing that bothers me is that the bloke is a pathological optimist,which is fine when you are trying to lift a team in the dressing room after 5-0 defeat on a wet and windy winters night in Hartlepool.But week after week feeding the fans the same tripe wears you down after a bit,to the extent where even if he speaks some common sense the default setting for most fans is derision.If just occasionally he would say "that was a bad display...my fault" or "we played the wrong tactics today".In short,don't treat the fans like idiots Jon,less spin and more reality and I'm sure the fans would be more understanding.It's too late for me,I stopped going 4-5yrs ago after 50+ years,so stop being an arse Jon,you'll never please everyone but at the moment you're pleasing hardly anyone except you and JB.

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 pm

This man is like a psychologist's case study.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm

sid swifty wrote:The thing that bothers me is that the bloke is a pathological optimist,which is fine when you are trying to lift a team in the dressing room after 5-0 defeat on a wet and windy winters night in Hartlepool.But week after week feeding the fans the same tripe wears you down after a bit,to the extent where even if he speaks some common sense the default setting for most fans is derision.If just occasionally he would say "that was a bad display...my fault" or "we played the wrong tactics today".In short,don't treat the fans like idiots Jon,less spin and more reality and I'm sure the fans would be more understanding.It's too late for me,I stopped going 4-5yrs ago after 50+ years,so stop being an arse Jon,you'll never please everyone but at the moment you're pleasing hardly anyone except you and JB.

You’re right Sid but he should have been doing that all along. He’s spent too long pissing people off now. Even if he changed overnight it wouldn’t be enough. It’s too late and he needs to go.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 pm

Optimistic wrote:I think that he deserves a break, he is one of the most loyal servants the club has had for a long time and he has earned his chance at managing the team.

He's had his chance and failed. Time to get rid.

I know a fair number of fans that are way, way more loyal to the club than Whitney. I wouldn't think that entitles them to a crack at the top job though.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm

How loyal would Whitney be should a Brentford or Rotherham come calling for his services? Not very I suspect.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm

A bullet point (top 10) - IMO

1. Loyal
2. Nice chap
3. Understands how WFC (‘works’!)
4. Good physio
5. Honest
6. Vulnerable to the press
7. Tendency to blame others when it’s going wrong
8. Lucky (3 year contract for an unproven candidate in a new job!)
9. Lucky (employed by an owner that won’t pay him compo to go) - 8 & 9 are intrinsically linked but neither are his fault...
10. Square peg in round hole

At any other club he’d have been down the road months ago but if you round the list above together he’s probably one of the safest managers in L1.....

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:59 pm

philthesaddler wrote:How loyal would Whitney be should a Brentford or Rotherham come calling for his services? Not very I suspect.

I assume you mean as physio because you can’t possibly mean the other job can you??????

funk_hits_the_fan
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:07 pm

coop63 wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:How loyal would Whitney be should a Brentford or Rotherham come calling for his services? Not very I suspect.

I assume you mean as physio because you can’t possibly mean the other job can you??????

Wolves did come calling :roll: it may not have been the top job but it would have been significantly more momey than he was on with us.

Cannot stand people that will knock anyone for anything regardless. I don't want him as our manager but I still recognise his service to the club.

Walsall's oracle speaks again....

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 pm

tinned wrote:

I know a fair number of fans that are way, way more loyal to the club than Whitney. I wouldn't think that entitles them to a crack at the top job though.

Fair enough Tinned, we all have our own opinions and I realise that I am out on a limb on here but I don't think he has failed yet. Look at bury, that's failed. I think he earned his chance from his work within the club over the years, he stepped in to manage when needed, was considered the best Physio in the division and as mentioned above turned down a lucrative move to Wolves to stay at Walsall.

He is desperate to succeed that is clear to see and as I stated I cannot see that he has failed yet. The whole thing could turn around with a 3 or 4 game winning run and I accept that a losing run would not help my case but I prefer to have a manager who gives his all and I believe Jon does.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Optimistic wrote:
tinned wrote:

Fair enough Tinned, we all have our own opinions and I realise that I am out on a limb on here but I don't think he has failed yet. Look at bury, that's failed. I think he earned his chance from his work within the club over the years, he stepped in to manage when needed, was considered the best Physio in the division and as mentioned above turned down a lucrative move to Wolves to stay at Walsall.

He is desperate to succeed that is clear to see and as I stated I cannot see that he has failed yet. The whole thing could turn around with a 3 or 4 game winning run and I accept that a losing run would not help my case but I prefer to have a manager who gives his all and I believe Jon does.

give me strength

scott_powell
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
tinned wrote:

give me strength

I know right.

Lets make me the manager! I'm desperate to succeed, more than Jon I absolutely guarantee you that. I'm also Loyal too; been supporting Walsall for 19 years and a season ticket holder for 15 of those. Maybe even give it to Ancient Moaner! He's been supporting them for 127 years! ( :wink: ) I'm loyal. Give it to me! I've earned it! :roll:

He isn't good enough. Hope you cashed in.

coop63
Glitterati

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

funk_hits_the_fan wrote:
coop63 wrote:

Wolves did come calling :roll: it may not have been the top job but it would have been significantly more momey than he was on with us.

Cannot stand people that will knock anyone for anything regardless. I don't want him as our manager but I still recognise his service to the club.

Walsall's oracle speaks again....

oracle?

saddlersjse
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
tinned wrote:

give me strength

He inherited a team that went on to miss out on promotion by a single point. He led the team to being battered in the play-offs, to leaving, to building a mediocre team who were lucky to finish midtable after tanking the last 10 games, to building a second team that's even worse full of League Two standard players and loans that's part of a relegation scrap. During this time he's aliened senior players, taken apart the 'footballing philosophy' model, made a fool of himself in the press and backtracked on virtually every statement he's ever made (see: loans).

It's OK though because he's putting a shift in and giving it his all! Which, ironically, is the same thought process he uses to pick players week after week :roll:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:13 pm

saddlersjse wrote:
Mazza01 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
tinned wrote:

give me strength

He inherited a team that went on to miss out on promotion by a single point. He led the team to being battered in the play-offs, to leaving, to building a mediocre team who were lucky to finish midtable after tanking the last 10 games, to building a second team that's even worse full of League Two standard players and loans that's part of a relegation scrap. During this time he's aliened senior players, taken apart the 'footballing philosophy' model, made a fool of himself in the press and backtracked on virtually every statement he's ever made (see: loans).

It's OK though because he's putting a shift in and giving it his all! Which, ironically, is the same thought process he uses to pick players week after week :roll:

Let’s give him his 3rd season so he can finish the job and get us relegated! :mrgreen:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:18 am

Fair enough guys, but I am still entitled to my opinion in the same way that you are entitled to yours. If I get it wrong I will admit I have, but there is no way that I will cash my top 12 finish bet in because it's still a decent bet and top 12 is not a bad result. Neither was 4-2 tonight so I may as well mention it while I can.

Now what have I said wrong :?:

Next
Return to All about Walsall