Next season's League One

The main area for messages about any current Walsall topics, players past and present, or any other topical matter which may be of interest to Walsall supporters. Opinions expressed are those of the individual posters and not those of the website owner.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Next season's League One

Sun May 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Joined by Sunderland and Barnsley and Burton Albion, the latter two condemned by a amazing 2 goals in 2 minutes flourish by the Trotters.

Welcome back boys! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pheasey_Saddler
UTS Regular

Re: Next season's League One

Sun May 06, 2018 1:43 pm

All 3 clubs that went up in our play-off season have made a quick return, although Wigan have gone up again of course.

Particularly pleased Barnsley are back. :D

PT
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2018 1:56 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Joined by Sunderland and Barnsley and Burton Albion, the latter two condemned by a amazing 2 goals in 2 minutes flourish by the Trotters.

Welcome back boys! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome back indeed. I’d have preferred Blues but not bad trips those two and Barnsley in particular feels sweet.

If Charlton get up through the play-offs then next year’s Championship will probably be exclusively filled with clubs who will have average crowds in five figures.

And that is without clubs like Sunderland, Portsmouth and Bradford.

If our stated ambition is still to regain and maintainour Championship status we seriously need to be looking at ways to increase the number of people who attend games at Bescot because the momentum is swinging hugely against us just now. And as Pheasey says, getting there appears to be the easy bit. Staying there much harder than when we were trying to finish above Vale, Crewe, Stockport and Grimsby at that level.

UTS Legend

Sun May 06, 2018 2:22 pm

Delighted to see Burton back with us. I still have nightmares about that 0-0 draw with Doncaster...

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2018 4:20 pm

Perhaps Jon Whitney might apply for the now-vacant manager's position at Barnsley ...... Jose Morais was appointed 15 games ago, only won 3 out of those 15, and there was a clause in his contract that said he would leave if Barnsley were relegated.

UTS :D

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2018 4:28 pm

Guest wrote:Delighted to see Burton back with us. I still have nightmares about that 0-0 draw with Doncaster...

They've done brilliantly last few years but think they'll struggle a bit back at this level. Similar to when Yeovil had a brilliant few years but lost that spark and spirit when they came back down to league one.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:
Guest wrote:Delighted to see Burton back with us. I still have nightmares about that 0-0 draw with Doncaster...

They've done brilliantly last few years but think they'll struggle a bit back at this level. Similar to when Yeovil had a brilliant few years but lost that spark and spirit when they came back down to league one.

Yeah, I can see Burton exiting stage left to L2 within a couple of years, happens to most of us smaller clubs that spend a couple of years in the Championship.

Who would be best to join us from League Two? Exeter for me, new ground, nice part of the world, and we always get beaten by Lincoln, Coventry are soulless, and Hooters ain't all it's cracked up to be.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed May 16, 2018 12:18 am

Hope Exeter win tonight as all the other playoff games have not been very pleasing.

We'll definitely be playing Charlton again next season.

EvenFlow
UTS Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 7:44 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:We'll definitely be playing Charlton again next season.

Rotherham for a week,
I'm Rotherham for a week,
I know I am,
I'm sure I am,
I'm Rotherham for a week.

The Sloppies are going tonk Scunthorpe at Wembley, aren't they? :cry:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed May 16, 2018 9:01 am

Problem is with Rothrum games we will most likely be up against a certain Turkish Messi who actually scores goals easily and regularly, sort of reminds me of a big lump who 'always' played up front with us and scores loads of amazing goals, indeed a certain poster from Aldridge believes that he single handedly saved us from relegation! :lol: :lol:

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed May 16, 2018 10:13 am

EvenFlow wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:We'll definitely be playing Charlton again next season.

Rotherham for a week,
I'm Rotherham for a week,
I know I am,
I'm sure I am,
I'm Rotherham for a week.

The Sloppies are going tonk Scunthorpe at Wembley, aren't they? :cry:

Would be surprised if Scunny took out Rotherham at their place, they didn't impress me at all a few weeks back and Rotherham have generally been in very good form since xmas.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed May 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Ancient Moaner wrote:Problem is with Rothrum games we will most likely be up against a certain Turkish Messi who actually scores goals easily and regularly, sort of reminds me of a big lump who 'always' played up front with us and scores loads of amazing goals, indeed a certain poster from Aldridge believes that he single handedly saved us from relegation! :lol: :lol:

Except he said nothing of the sort, but don't let facts get in the way of an absurd and ridiculous obsession.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Wed May 16, 2018 3:33 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Ancient Moaner wrote:Problem is with Rothrum games we will most likely be up against a certain Turkish Messi who actually scores goals easily and regularly, sort of reminds me of a big lump who 'always' played up front with us and scores loads of amazing goals, indeed a certain poster from Aldridge believes that he single handedly saved us from relegation! :lol: :lol:

Except he said nothing of the sort, but don't let facts get in the way of an absurd and ridiculous obsession.

I was about to say the same

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed May 16, 2018 7:01 pm

The 'ridiculous obsession' of which you speak has nothing to do with the lad himself, it's not his fault, the ridiculousness lies within the management of Walsall Football club in persisting relentlessly with a lad who will never make in in his chosen profession, resulting in merciless and embarrassing jeering from the fans on the terraces irritated by this passion for the continued, and somewhat fanatical insertion of the young man into a role for which he is obviously unsuited and woefully unhappy.
And I'm sorry Saigon, Aldridge's 'support' for the lad, justified with those continuously ridiculous, and spurious statistics in that other thread make my 'obsession' seem but a mere observation!

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed May 16, 2018 10:34 pm

The Red Prince wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:

Yeah, I can see Burton exiting stage left to L2 within a couple of years, happens to most of us smaller clubs that spend a couple of years in the Championship.

Who would be best to join us from League Two? Exeter for me, new ground, nice part of the world, and we always get beaten by Lincoln, Coventry are soulless, and Hooters ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Good call regarding the league 2 teams, Exeter does sound good I used to like going to Torquay games when we were in the same division, that was a good weekend. But then again there's nothing wrong with Hooters that's got a certain attraction as well.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Wed May 16, 2018 11:50 pm

As predicted Scunny nowhere near good enough to beat Rotherham, mini Bescot remains in league one.

Think Rotherham will be strong enough to stop Sloppies making the championship. While I'm all for smaller teams defying the odds, the thought of them getting promoted before Walsall is just plain wrong.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu May 17, 2018 1:41 am

Rotherscum v Sloppyhamptonshire

Whatever happens, having one of these promoted is a terrible crime against football and decency.

Urgh. The fugly millers then, by a nose. They'll take points off Leeds and we won't have to play them. Vile.

SWS11
UTS Regular

Sun May 20, 2018 7:47 pm

Still doesn't beat Burton going up and nearly staying up again. I suppose they have a half-decent manager...

PT
Site Addict

Mon May 21, 2018 7:01 am

Shrewsbury struggling to break through 10,000 ticket sales for Wembley. Their more optimistic fans suggesting they might just get to 16,000.

Which sounds poor. But I do wonder how many we would take and whether I would want to take many more than 16,000. Our first trip to Wembley with 30,000 of us looked ace but as we know massively diluted the atmosphere. We were flat, the team were flatter.

Whereas when we went to Cardiff with around 18,000 of us it felt like a massive away following, but still a Walsall away following with most seeming to know who our players were and the words to most of the songs. Same when 12,000 of us went to Anfield and 15,000 to Old Trafford.

So whilst it is tempting to scoff at the Sloppies following, sometimes it is definitely a case of quality over quantity.

Mazza01
UTS Legend

Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 am

PT wrote:Shrewsbury struggling to break through 10,000 ticket sales for Wembley. Their more optimistic fans suggesting they might just get to 16,000.

Which sounds poor. But I do wonder how many we would take and whether I would want to take many more than 16,000. Our first trip to Wembley with 30,000 of us looked ace but as we know massively diluted the atmosphere. We were flat, the team were flatter.

Whereas when we went to Cardiff with around 18,000 of us it felt like a massive away following, but still a Walsall away following with most seeming to know who our players were and the words to most of the songs. Same when 12,000 of us went to Anfield and 15,000 to Old Trafford.

So whilst it is tempting to scoff at the Sloppies following, sometimes it is definitely a case of quality over quantity.

The Problem with Wembley is the size, even taking 15-16k the end looks empty and for me it takes away the big game feel.

The League 1&2 play offs should be played at the likes of Anfield , Villa Park or Old Trafford. Should the Shrews of played at Villa Park you may well of guaranteed a 20k following. No different to Walsall the shrews will be relying on 10,000 + day trippers to boost the attendance, unfortunately Wembley prices many of these people/families out.

Wembley should only be used for major cup finals and England games , Same goes for the FA Cup semi's. Ridiculous that any team should visit Wembley twice in the same Cup Competition in the same season.

PT
Site Addict

Mon May 21, 2018 7:55 am

Mazza01 wrote:
PT wrote:Shrewsbury struggling to break through 10,000 ticket sales for Wembley. Their more optimistic fans suggesting they might just get to 16,000.

The Problem with Wembley is the size, even taking 15-16k the end looks empty and for me it takes away the big game feel.

The League 1&2 play offs should be played at the likes of Anfield , Villa Park or Old Trafford. Should the Shrews of played at Villa Park you may well of guaranteed a 20k following. No different to Walsall the shrews will be relying on 10,000 + day trippers to boost the attendance, unfortunately Wembley prices many of these people/families out.

Wembley should only be used for major cup finals and England games , Same goes for the FA Cup semi's. Ridiculous that any team should visit Wembley twice in the same Cup Competition in the same season.

Completely agree.

The hope is that Wembley is sold and therefore isn’t the financial millstone whereby the FA hold everything there to continue to finance its build.

Then FA Cup semi finals and England friendlies can return to big club grounds. And I agree, League one and two play-offs too.

Return to All about Walsall