Rational assessment of Season's doings

The main area for messages about any current Walsall topics, players past and present, or any other topical matter which may be of interest to Walsall supporters. Opinions expressed are those of the individual posters and not those of the website owner.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Rational assessment of Season's doings

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:33 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Well, if you were to respond with a pun I'd have replied with a pun back or made a joke. It wasn't a pun but a saying with a definitive meaning which is why I responded the way I did. I wasn't rude or aggresive. It was just a simple reply. Not difficult to work out is it really is it :lol: I have never been offended by anything said on here. The only thing that offends me is double denim. Who in there right mind would wear such an abomination!! :x

Without wishing to part-take in the kind of tit for tit 'bantz' that has over-populated the site in recent weeks ... It kind of is difficult to work out what the chuff you're going on about here. You were reasonably rude to suggest that 'the site is full of lettuces', to which there was a fairly playful reply, from which we have garnered some of kind of ultra-defensive gash. You're definately not offended, which I believe, so let's just leave here ...

Ultra defensive? What planet are you on :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:36 pm

scott_powell wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Well, if you were to respond with a pun I'd have replied with a pun back or made a joke. It wasn't a pun but a saying with a definitive meaning which is why I responded the way I did. I wasn't rude or aggresive. It was just a simple reply. Not difficult to work out is it really is it :lol: I have never been offended by anything said on here. The only thing that offends me is double denim. Who in there right mind would wear such an abomination!! :x

Without wishing to part-take in the kind of tit for tit 'bantz' that has over-populated the site in recent weeks ... It kind of is difficult to work out what the chuff you're going on about here. You were reasonably rude to suggest that 'the site is full of lettuces', to which there was a fairly playful reply, from which we have garnered some of kind of ultra-defensive gash. You're definately not offended, which I believe, so let's just leave here ...

Clearly not yours, which is comforting. :|

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Having seen pictures of you you certainly don’t look like you’re from the same planet :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:51 pm

scott_powell wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Having seen pictures of you you certainly don’t look like you’re from the same planet :lol:

Ho Ho Ho.
Scott Powell:
Not offended.
Not particularly coherent.
Quick to get personal.
And definately not offended. By anything.

Nice combo Scott, how's it working out for you?

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Great thanks. Now carry on living your life as a living breathing caricature and let me get on with mine in my own little world. There’s a good boy.

:lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:18 pm

scott_powell wrote:Great thanks. Now carry on living your life as a living breathing caricature and let me get on with mine in my own little world. There’s a good boy.

The trouble with these childish put downs is that they just make you come across as a total prat. We've never met off this board, so what gives you right to include anything off it? Line crossed. I'm betting you're no Brad Pitt either pal, but the difference is I wouldn't stoop to that kind of cack flinging.

Bizarre that a playful and harmless comment off the back of something fairly rude from you has transcended into you spewing unnecessary personal garbage.

Classy.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:26 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Great thanks. Now carry on living your life as a living breathing caricature and let me get on with mine in my own little world. There’s a good boy.

The trouble with these childish put downs is that they just make you come across as a total prat. We've never met off this board, so what gives you right to include anything off it? Line crossed. I'm betting you're no Brad Pitt either pal, but the difference is I wouldn't stoop to that kind of cack flinging.

Bizarre that a playful and harmless comment off the back of something fairly rude from you has transcended into you spewing unnecessary personal garbage.

Classy.

:lol: :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:01 pm

scott_powell wrote:Tinned this site is full of wet lettuces. Just let them get offended :mrgreen:

This site is mostly full of people who'd like to rationally discuss all things Walsall (this forum) or the matches, or any other stuff. It's not the Scott Powell showboat site. You've been a member for years, Scott, you know this, yet recently you've turned into an incoherent and unfunny version of sound_out (and he was pretty incoherent and unfunny most of the time). Clean your act up and stop making everything about you. It's not a defence to say you're only expressing your opinion, because you're on the edge of harassment with some of your stuff, and you're clogging threads with your tripe.

I'm off to the admin forum to change a setting to ban you for 24 hours while you think about it.

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Exile wrote:
scott_powell wrote:Tinned this site is full of wet lettuces. Just let them get offended :mrgreen:

This site is mostly full of people who'd like to rationally discuss all things Walsall (this forum) or the matches, or any other stuff. It's not the Scott Powell showboat site. You've been a member for years, Scott, you know this, yet recently you've turned into an incoherent and unfunny version of sound_out (and he was pretty incoherent and unfunny most of the time). Clean your act up and stop making everything about you. It's not a defence to say you're only expressing your opinion, because you're on the edge of harassment with some of your stuff, and you're clogging threads with your tripe.

I'm off to the admin forum to change a setting to ban you for 24 hours while you think about it.

Did you get banned when you had a breakdown over the Grenfell discussion?

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Whitters wrote:
Exile wrote:

No, because I didn't have a breakdown. We've never banned you either, because this board is extremely tolerant of oddballs and you have to do something pretty spectacular for that. :wink:

Whitters
Site Addict

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Exile wrote:
Whitters wrote:
Exile wrote:

No, because I didn't have a breakdown.

Denial is one of the signs....

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Without wishing to add to Whitney in/out shake it all about but on a general point. Looking at the league one table and there is an 8 point difference between 7th and 20th.

Hardly anything between many of the teams with nearly half the season gone now.

El_Nombre
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Optimistic wrote:
I don't care what you think of me Scott but I disagree with you when you claim to know what I think and get it wrong. I don't ignore Whitney's failings but I do see that he is trying extremely hard to get it right and I am not yet convinced that he won't. We all get it wrong on occasion and the measure of success is getting it right more often than you get it wrong.

I am sticking with JW because I think that if things start to improve and the fans get behind him and the team again we will see a more confident and successful team.

I know the manager is always the scapegoat in football but I think he has put a decent squad together who due to individual mistakes are costing us goals and points. This is why we are in the position we are and it's clear he is trying to change it. I know I might be wrong but then again I might be right and it's not for you to decide if I am right or wrong and insult me if I disagree with you, as time itself will decide.

I won't be bullied into changing my opinion, I have good money on us finishing in the top half and I still expect to collect..

4 points off with a game in hand and 84 points still to play for. Hope you kept your ticket Optimistic you might have an outsider there.

reedswood sadler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:Without wishing to add to Whitney in/out shake it all about but on a general point. Looking at the league one table and there is an 8 point difference between 7th and 20th.

This just backs up that with the players we have we should be in top ten.
If whitney would stick to a system and not change it nearly every game and put in the right players to fit that system it is still possible to achieve.
He finally seems to have given up hoofball to go back to trying to play on ground which suits us better now lets hope we can see a improvement in results.

saddla
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:13 pm

How many people on here used to moan that we never had a plan B :lol: :lol:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:02 pm

El_Nombre wrote:
Optimistic wrote:
I don't care what you think of me Scott but I disagree with you when you claim to know what I think and get it wrong. I don't ignore Whitney's failings but I do see that he is trying extremely hard to get it right and I am not yet convinced that he won't. We all get it wrong on occasion and the measure of success is getting it right more often than you get it wrong.

I am sticking with JW because I think that if things start to improve and the fans get behind him and the team again we will see a more confident and successful team.

I know the manager is always the scapegoat in football but I think he has put a decent squad together who due to individual mistakes are costing us goals and points. This is why we are in the position we are and it's clear he is trying to change it. I know I might be wrong but then again I might be right and it's not for you to decide if I am right or wrong and insult me if I disagree with you, as time itself will decide.

I won't be bullied into changing my opinion, I have good money on us finishing in the top half and I still expect to collect..

4 points off with a game in hand and 84 points still to play for. Hope you kept your ticket Optimistic you might have an outsider there.

I sure have El_Nombre, I have only failed to collect once when I have put money on the Saddlers final league position so I am playing with the bookies money. I am not going to take any notice of people who think that they know best, I have yet to see one of them say that they have backed us to finish bottom half!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:55 pm

reedswood sadler wrote:
SoccerHQ wrote:Without wishing to add to Whitney in/out shake it all about but on a general point. Looking at the league one table and there is an 8 point difference between 7th and 20th.

If whitney would stick to a system and not change it nearly every game and put in the right players to fit that system it is still possible to achieve.
He finally seems to have given up hoofball to go back to trying to play on ground which suits us better now lets hope we can see a improvement in results.

This is a large part of the reason many have lost what little confidence they did have in him.

This season is starting to mirror last season.
I saw online yesterday that we’re actually in the same position as this time last season even down to wins, draws and losses.

Last season he persisted with playing Toner for a large part of the beginning of the season at the expense of better defenders. This season Roberts has been dropped more often than not whilst Leahy/Guthrie get games after playing poorly.

Last season he was swapping and changing the squad for much of the start of the season seemingly not knowing what his team was or settling on any style of play. His management style seems to be trial and error. Just keep changing things until something works then stick to it. He did it last season then fell on something that worked and stuck to it and we went on a run. Then other teams worked us out and adapted. Problem was Whitney then seemed incapable of adapting also and we went on the dire run that ended the season.

It looks like he may have fallen on something that works again so it’s likely he’ll now stick to it. This could actually work and mean we pick up points especially as we’re coming up against a lot of teams in and around the relegation places.

My main point is I think lasts nights result was more luck than judgement and I think that’s what a lot of Whitneys reign over the last couple of seasons has been. He’s had the luck when he needed it but there will come a time when his luck runs out.

chunkster
Site Addict

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:

This is a large part of the reason many have lost what little confidence they did have in him.

I saw online yesterday that we’re actually in the same position as this time last season even down to wins, draws and losses.

Last season he persisted with playing Toner for a large part of the beginning of the season at the expense of better defenders. This season Roberts has been dropped more often than not whilst Leahy/Guthrie get games after playing poorly.

Last season he was swapping and changing the squad for much of the start of the season seemingly not knowing what his team was or settling on any style of play. His management style seems to be trial and error. Just keep changing things until something works then stick to it. He did it last season then fell on something that worked and stuck to it and we went on a run. Then other teams worked us out and adapted. Problem was Whitney then seemed incapable of adapting also and we went on the dire run that ended the season.

It looks like he may have fallen on something that works again so it’s likely he’ll now stick to it. This could actually work and mean we pick up points especially as we’re coming up against a lot of teams in and around the relegation places.

My main point is I think lasts nights result was more luck than judgement and I think that’s what a lot of Whitneys reign over the last couple of seasons has been. He’s had the luck when he needed it but there will come a time when his luck runs out.
Good analogy that steve :wink:

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
reedswood sadler wrote:

I keep reading that he is surviving due to luck.

Thomas Jefferson said "I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." and one thing JW cannot be accused of is not working hard.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:38 am

surprise surprise, another lucky win according to some posters!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:02 am

All our wins are lucky OPTIMISTIC.........and all our defeats are well deserved don't you know :D

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:46 am

I was talking to a mate last night at the bescot, he and his dad are season ticket holders and rarely miss a match home or away, and he said although we have won the last 2 games we are awful to watch, and for the first time in 0ver 40 years they both consider missing matches now :|

hullsaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:17 pm

chunkster wrote:I was talking to a mate last night at the bescot, he and his dad are season ticket holders and rarely miss a match home or away, and he said although we have won the last 2 games we are awful to watch, and for the first time in 0ver 40 years they both consider missing matches now :|

Can only comment on yesterday, we weren't brilliant but we definitely weren't awful to watch.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:19 pm

chunkster wrote:I was talking to a mate last night at the bescot, he and his dad are season ticket holders and rarely miss a match home or away, and he said although we have won the last 2 games we are awful to watch, and for the first time in 0ver 40 years they both consider missing matches now :|

Surely that's just a culmination of 40 years of generally watching the same thing bar the odd promotion.

I'd still love to know how this is worse than Hutchings or Merson periods and that's even before going back to the early 90s, 80s etc.

chunkster
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:06 pm

SoccerHQ wrote:

Surely that's just a culmination of 40 years of generally watching the same thing bar the odd promotion.

I'd still love to know how this is worse than Hutchings or Merson periods and that's even before going back to the early 90s, 80s etc.
I don't know what is is? maybe it's the fact that the football is poor and you are just not getting entertained? and as long as John is getting the odd result to keep us just above the relegation zone while bringing the kids through, then he will stay at the helm? and there is a feeling of general apathy about the place at the moment :|

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:48 pm

Though of course not a fan of Whitney, the man is totally out of his depth, the 'dogs abuse' that he is currently suffering is not HIS fault, our feeble & weak Board are to blame, he should have got his marching orders straight after the defeats to Newport & Gillingham. Not that it would make any difference to the clubs outlook, because Bonser would have employed a turnstile operative as manager, because he once said something profound, and would be a cheap option!
So now he labours on regardless, he no doubt has always had a passion for Walsall F.C., but two recent skin of his teeth positive results have made his position even more untenable, he can't win either way.
We are what we are, a mid table 3rd Division side drowning in a sea of much bigger and richer clubs that take a much bigger chunk of football fans out of the Walsall Borough than we can ever entertain (unless we get to Wembley that is!).
We will come back down to earth when Scunny come to town, as we all trundle back home after yet another 1-4 hammering (it's the law aye it?).
We will finish in 17th/18th spot, and await another season in the vain hope that we can get a cup run (subject to us not getting knocked out in the first round by a non League or 4th division lot in the first round, again.).
WE all keep believing, because weem Worsul aye we!

Walsallone
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:06 pm

but AM our manager is not as bad as many I can remember. All this hatred of JW is something I have not witnessed before when we had Barnwell,Sibley,Hutchings,Hibbett managing us all of whom were worse than JW. I guess it has something to do with the modern world and the advent of social media. It is sad that a bloke who has done a good job for us in other roles is being treated like this. I doubt he should have been made Manager but he was and it doesn't look like he will going anywhere soon especially as the last 4 performances have been good.

Tom_1992
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Optimistic wrote:surprise surprise, another lucky win according to some posters!

I’m guessing you weren’t there?.. To be fair, a win was probably undeserved given the fact that AFCW peppered our goal with excellent chances either side of half-time, but in the end our quality (Oztumer) decided the game.

If you’re on Twitter, have a look at the statistical breakdown via the SaddlersStats account if you don’t want to believe people who were there. Their expected goals were around 2.5, whilst we were under 1. It’s obviously not a perfect way to judge the game, but should give you a sense that this wasn’t a comprehensive away victory/performance.

Optimistic
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Tom_1992 wrote:
Optimistic wrote:surprise surprise, another lucky win according to some posters!

I’m guessing you weren’t there?.. To be fair, a win was probably undeserved given the fact that AFCW peppered our goal with excellent chances either side of half-time, but in the end our quality (Oztumer) decided the game.

If you’re on Twitter, have a look at the statistical breakdown via the SaddlersStats account if you don’t want to believe people who were there. Their expected goals were around 2.5, whilst we were under 1. It’s obviously not a perfect way to judge the game, but should give you a sense that this wasn’t a comprehensive away victory/performance.

Correct Tom. I was not there and I don't doubt what you say. I watched the live coverage on Betfair and we both had a similar number of dangerous attacks. We always struggle against teams like AFCW and from what I read before the game JW expected a tough time so I can only guess that there was a game plan as it was expected that they would be putting a lot of balls into the box.

They were not unlucky to lose, they were just not good enough to win which is why they are in that league position. If they could take their chances they would be much higher up the table and they would be just another top 6 team who beat us. All we can do is take our chances and hope the other team do not and that's what football is all about.

If you want to talk stats then so far AFCW have scored 15 goals in 20 games and we have scored 27 in 19 so it is no surprise that they only scored 1 goal and we scored 2. Our problem is that we have been making mistakes at the back so hopefully we are putting that right.

SoccerHQ
Site Addict

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Tom_1992 wrote:

As I said yesterday though surely that balances the Gillingham game considering all the corners and shots at goal from Walsall.

People can't criticise Whitney for losing the Gillingham game and then criticise him for winning the Wimbledon game for being a bit lucky, that's just nuts. :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to All about Walsall