If there was a second EU Vote.........

The place for all the weird and whacky musings and fake news.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.

I WOULD.....

Keep my vote as LEAVE
53%
Keep my vote as REMAIN
37%
CHANGE my vote to LEAVE
4%
CHANGE my vote to REMAIN
6%
I wouldn't bother voting
No votes

Total votes : 51
Cheesebag
Site Addict

Re: If there was a second EU Vote.........

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:50 am

Sound_out wrote:So Brexit does indeed mean 'hard Brexit' and Parliament will not get the option of reversing it. :D

May is quite right in that a negotiated trade deal with the EU is in both interests, but no deal is better than a bad deal. It's time to play hardball! Now they know what the plan is the other EU members can have a good long think about what to do next while we forge ahead preparing trade deals with the rest of the world.

Profit is the bottom line folks, not petty tit-for-tat politics by unelected bureaucrats. EU members, especially Germany, will be only too aware of how much reduced trade will hurt them, and it will, make not doubt about it! We are firmly in the driving seat. :D

The future looks very bright indeed. :D

Agreed.... Business booming here at Jones towers, Stuff the bureaucrats

UTS Legend

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:18 pm

THEN AND NOW

Theresa May has said the UK will emerge from Brexit as a "great, global trading nation", becoming "safer, more secure and more prosperous".

But in April - before the EU referendum - the then home secretary gave a speech warning of the implications of a vote to leave the EU. Here's how some of the key quotes compare:

Leaving the single market

April 2016: "So, if we do vote to leave the European Union, we risk bringing the development of the single market to a halt, we risk a loss of investors and businesses to remaining EU member states driven by discriminatory EU policies, and we risk going backwards when it comes to international trade.

"But the big question is whether, in the event of Brexit, we would be able to negotiate a new free trade agreement with the EU and on what terms."

January 2017: "I respect the position taken by European leaders who have been clear about their position, just as I am clear about mine. So an important part of the new strategic partnership we seek with the EU will be the pursuit of the greatest possible access to the single market, on a fully reciprocal basis, through a comprehensive free trade agreement."

April 2016: "The reality is that we do not know on what terms we would win access to the single market. We do know that in a negotiation we would need to make concessions in order to access it, and those concessions could well be about accepting EU regulations, over which we would have no say, making financial contributions, just as we do now, accepting free movement rules, just as we do now, or quite possibly all three combined.

"It is not clear why other EU member states would give Britain a better deal than they themselves enjoy."

January 2017: "If we were excluded from accessing the single market, we would be free to change the basis of Britain's economic model.

"But for the EU, it would mean new barriers to trade with one of the biggest economies in the world. It would jeopardise investments in Britain by EU companies worth more than half a trillion pounds... and I do not believe that the EU's leaders will seriously tell German exporters, French farmers, Spanish fishermen, the young unemployed of the eurozone, and millions of others, that they want to make them poorer, just to punish Britain and make a political point."

International trade deals

April 2016: "It is tempting to look at developing countries' economies, with their high growth rates, and see them as an alternative to trade with Europe. But just look at the reality of our trading relationship with China - with its dumping policies, protective tariffs and industrial-scale industrial espionage. And look at the figures. We export more to Ireland than we do to China, almost twice as much to Belgium as we do to India, and nearly three times as much to Sweden as we do to Brazil. It is not realistic to think we could just replace European trade with these new markets."

"And while we could certainly negotiate our own trade agreements, there would be no guarantee that they would be on terms as good as those we enjoy now. There would also be a considerable opportunity cost given the need to replace the existing agreements - not least with the EU itself - that we would have torn up as a consequence of our departure."

January 2017: "We want to get out into the wider world, to trade and do business all around the globe. Countries including China, Brazil, and the Gulf States have already expressed their interest in striking trade deals with us."

Immigration

April 2016 (responding to a question from the BBC):"What matters is that we have brought about changes in the free movement rules as a result of the negotiation."

January 2017: "As home secretary for six years, I know that you cannot control immigration overall when there is free movement to Britain from Europe."

Not reaching a deal

April 2016: "With no agreement, we know that WTO rules would oblige the EU to charge 10% tariffs on UK car exports, in line with the tariffs they impose on Japan and the United States. They would be required to do the same for all other goods upon which they impose tariffs. Not all of these tariffs are as high as 10%, but some are considerably higher."

January 2017: "And while I am confident that this scenario need never arise - while I am sure a positive agreement can be reached - I am equally clear that no deal for Britain is better than a bad deal for Britain.

"Because we would still be able to trade with Europe. We would be free to strike trade deals across the world. And we would have the freedom to set the competitive tax rates and embrace the policies that would attract the world's best companies and biggest investors to Britain."

BBC News

Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:26 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You've got to be kidding!

Grubby politician in flip-flop scandal. :roll: :lol:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:38 pm

In April 2016 May was saying what her boss wanted to hear. Shocked.

All the polls were predicting a remain win and she would have been well placed then to serve in a vindicated Cameron cabinet.

The world changed with the Brexit vote and she has changed with it. She doesn't have the same silver spoon background as Cameron and his cronies to fall back on. He resigned to swan off earning gazillions for doing nothing. She has made the best of the new reality.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Agreed.... Business booming here at Jones towers, Stuff the bureaucrats

Excellent news Cheesy! :D

"Soundy's Bargains" is also operating at full tilt to cope with demand, had to expand to the dining room! :shock: Just sold 10,000 metal coat hangers to Soweto!

BOOM BOOM BOOM!!!

:mrgreen:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:59 pm

But we ay left yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:55 am

Sound_out wrote:But we ay left yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And a company in London has had to move two jobs to Frankfurt :D

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:46 am

Middle clarse Manchester must be in a pit of despair! Too much positivity. :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Nice to see the Supreme Court agree 8-3 that Brexit needs an Act of Parliament to go ahead.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:41 pm

LOLs at m(O)ssive interweb over-reaction ... democracy etc

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

seventies_saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:49 pm

Can't understand what the brexiters are belly aching about - they wanted British laws enacted by British judges didn't they? :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 am

seventies_saddler wrote:Can't understand what the brexiters are belly aching about - they wanted British laws enacted by British judges didn't they? :lol:

Now the conundrum. Dare they go to the European Court to overturn a British court decision that didn't go in their favour? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:30 am

I can't see any reason why people should be upset by this decision as it makes absolutely no difference. Parliament isn't going to vote against the will of the people, Article 50 will soon be evoked and we'll leave the EU two years after. Simple. :D

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Sound_out wrote:I can't see any reason why people should be upset by this decision as it makes absolutely no difference. Parliament isn't going to vote against the will of the people, Article 50 will soon be evoked and we'll leave the EU two years after. Simple. :D

Exactly what I thought Soundy. That silly woman who bought the courtcase has slowed things down and got herself in the papers but it's still gonna happen.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:28 pm

I had threads appear on my facebook that it was "time to riot" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ancient Moaner
Site Addict

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:34 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:
Sound_out wrote:I can't see any reason why people should be upset by this decision as it makes absolutely no difference. Parliament isn't going to vote against the will of the people, Article 50 will soon be evoked and we'll leave the EU two years after. Simple. :D

Exactly what I thought Soundy. That silly woman who bought the courtcase has slowed things down and got herself in the papers but it's still gonna happen.

And attracted somewhat worrying attention from the trolls on faceboot & widget forums (or whatever these silly things are called) But there is always 'one' out there willing to carry out such threats (see Birstall) She has however, only herself to blame.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:52 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:

Indeed, although she's had her moment of fame which will certainly help her business interests. We may find that this has actually speeded up the process! How ironic! However, It has wasted god knows how many thousands of pounds of tax-payer’s money. And given the last of the Remainiacs false hope. Shame. :lol:

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:36 pm

For those thinking it's all going to be a morceau de gateaux.......

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw

And for talk of "wasted taxpayers money" I think it's been clear all along how much more we are going to have to cough up due to Brexit.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Super Gabor wrote:For those thinking it's all going to be a morceau de gateaux.......

And for talk of "wasted taxpayers money" I think it's been clear all along how much more we are going to have to cough up due to Brexit.

I want one of those crystal balls! :lol:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 am

Cheesebag wrote:I had threads appear on my facebook that it was "time to riot" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Time for 'WAR' apparently ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

But no-one seems to know who it's against, or why ... perhaps the selfish and unhelpful German car manufacturers. :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:37 am

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:

It's called democracy Ev, freedom of speech? She feels passionately about the issue, as do many people.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:42 am

Ancient Moaner wrote:
Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:

And attracted somewhat worrying attention from the trolls on faceboot & widget forums (or whatever these silly things are called) But there is always 'one' out there willing to carry out such threats (see Birstall) She has however, only herself to blame.

Wow. Occasionally I forget how utterly charmless you are. Different opinions not allowed in the world of Moaner without the implicit threat of savage physical violence? Well, they had it coming ...

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:47 am

Sound_out wrote:
Super Gabor wrote:For those thinking it's all going to be a morceau de gateaux.......

I want one of those crystal balls!

Utterly predictable I'm afraid. No crystal balls required, just common sense rather than dreamy wishful thinking.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:36 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Sound_out wrote:

I want one of those crystal balls!

Utterly predictable I'm afraid. No crystal balls required, just common sense rather than dreamy wishful thinking.

What's predictable?

With your track record I'd be very careful making any predictions. :idea:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:32 am

Another quarter of GDP growth... #despitebrexit

When exactly will these 800,000 jobs be lost?
When will the emergency budget appear?

I wonder how Italy and Spaini are getting on with their own GDP...

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:44 am

Oh, and the "back of the queue" [Barack Obama] comment has been well and truly debunked.

Did any remainers tell the truth?

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:32 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:

It's called democracy Ev, freedom of speech? She feels passionately about the issue, as do many people.

We'd had democracy with the referendum. This smacked of a spoilt brat not getting what she wanted so stomping off to court. I wonder if she does this everytime she doesn't get her own way. Must keep the local courts in business :D

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:

We'd had democracy with the referendum. This smacked of a spoilt brat not getting what she wanted so stomping off to court. I wonder if she does this everytime she doesn't get her own way. Must keep the local courts in business :D

Democracy doesn't just stop when someone wins a referendum, which was only advisory anyway. Spoiled brat syndrome is splashed all over various Brexit fans on social media sites 'cos we haven't left yet'. What makes me Loff is that it's British courts working how they should. :D

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:31 pm

I don't see any real grievance about the result other than what is printed in the idiotic media. It will speed up the process. Parliament will vote to leave and article 50 will be evoked, then we leave. No dramas.

Super Gabor
UTS Legend

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Sound_out wrote:Parliament will vote to leave and article 50 will be evoked, then we leave. No dramas.

The word you are looking for is invoked.

Glad to be of assistance. :wink:

PreviousNext
Return to Sound_Out Corner