Cook Resigns

The place for all the weird and whacky musings and fake news.
Forum rules
Be nice. Play fair.
Sound_out
Site Addict

Location: Draining the swamp and watching the truth come out.

Cook Resigns

Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Sound_out
Site Addict

Re: Cook Resigns

Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:58 am

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:55 am

If Joe Root fields at square leg ... does that make him a square root? :mrgreen:

Sound_out
Site Addict

Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:03 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:If Joe Root fields at square leg ... does that make him a square root? :mrgreen:

Silly point! :mrgreen:

shrewsbury saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Not so much the right , as the only decision. Graeme Swann's is the only argument I've heard against it. He said that he should be allowed to develop into the best ever England batsman free of the captaincy. But that wouldn't exactly have been risk-free. No matter how many times he was told it was to preserve his batting, he would have taken it as a slight on his ability, and it would have played on his confidence-especially when his rivals and contemporaries like Kohli and Smith had adapted to captaincy while improving their batting. I think Stokes as vice-captain over Broad is a good decision.

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:03 pm

shrewsbury saddler wrote:Not so much the right , as the only decision. Graeme Swann's is the only argument I've heard against it. He said that he should be allowed to develop into the best ever England batsman free of the captaincy. But that wouldn't exactly have been risk-free. No matter how many times he was told it was to preserve his batting, he would have taken it as a slight on his ability, and it would have played on his confidence-especially when his rivals and contemporaries like Kohli and Smith had adapted to captaincy while improving their batting. I think Stokes as vice-captain over Broad is a good decision.

No brainer as a decision with Root and probably the right vice choice in Stokes, though there was an arguement for YJB I think. We may go to war with another country though if Stokes has an extended run as captain. Someone in the Grauniad comments pointed out that they expect him to become the most popular brit in India since Jade Goody during the IPL.

Kevlar
UTS Veteran

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:17 pm

It might be a fairly short reign.

With all the money in the IPL, I can see test cricket dying a slow death , and county cricket even more so.

Sound_out
Site Addict

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02 am

Kevlar wrote:It might be a fairly short reign.

With all the money in the IPL, I can see test cricket dying a slow death , and county cricket even more so.

Test cricket is still massive. The only think that might change would be moving to four days rather than five. We have the day/night Tests starting now too with one already held in Australia with a pink ball. We have the first day/night Test in England at Edgbaston on August 17th which I have tickets for and against the West Indies. :D

shrewsbury saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:27 pm

I also think Test cricket gas a way to go yet. There were good crowds in Pune for the Australia test-even if a fair few were schoolchildren.It would have made a nice change to see India pasted in their back yard had the opponents been anyone other than Australia.

Return to Sound_Out Corner