Player Of The Season 23/24

What is? I literally said he’s our most talented player.

But he wasn’t our best performing player in the 20 odd games I have seen or attended this year. Now maybe he performed better in the ones I didn’t attend, but I’d wager that’s also a fair sample to put up against anyone else.

I’m afraid LG has to be marked down a bit because of his crossing. Otherwise, yes very good.

1 Like

Yep. That’s the reason he’s playing in League Two.

He’s a Left Back/Wing back though. It’s like judging a striker on his tricks and flick. Nice bonus, but not really that relevant.

1 Like

I can understand the argument which says Hutchinson needs more consistency but we are a league two side and he’s a league two player. Without him we’d be nowhere near the playoffs, and generally when he gets hold of the ball we expect something to happen, no-one else really does that do they? Smith has been good on the whole since coming in and deserves a lot of credit for his performances, but Dave has got better and better as the season has gone on. He has really stepped it up since all of the injury problems (Forest Green aside) so I’ll go with him as young player of the season and Hutch as player of the season.

2 Likes

Crossing is supremely relevant as a wing back. One of the most important characteristics given they’re almost responsible for a large % of the crosses coming in from that area.

That’s why he is playing in league two. He had that in his game and he wouldn’t be here.

I also think he’s had a dodgy 2/3 months to be honest. Been at fault for a few goals, and given a few penalties away if I recall correctly.

That said, I’d place him as having a decent overall season - but around 7th or 8th best performing.

1 Like

Comley and Smith for me. The latter has done really well lately and I now think he is above Evans( just). Comley has improved throughout the season and now looks undroppable.

1 Like

I could say the same about Hutchinson and his consistency, and flitting in and out of entire months earlier in the season. They are all League Two Players. But just like Hutchinson excels at the one thing he is primarily in the team for (creativity), Gordon excels at his main job, which is recycling and transitioning.

Entirely possible.

Extremely harsh.

Comley and Okagbue for me.

I’d say

Hutch
Comley
Daniels
Dave
Draper
Earing
Smith

(Could also argue Macca, Adegboyega and Allen…)

…. Have all had better seasons in my opinion. So not harsh at all.

I can’t understand why Draper hasn’t had more mentions. Without his contribution last year, we wouldn’t be in play-off mix now. It’s not his fault he had to leave in January.

It’s where it gets tricky with it being player of the season doesn’t it.

I mean earrings been great since he’s come back, but it’s only half a season

Over the season as a whole it has to be Hutchinson

2 Likes

It wasn’t an option to vote for DJ last season, who would have won it easily I think if it had been. I assume the same is in place, that you can only vote for a player who is still at the club.

1 Like

Including players that haven’t even been here a full season, over the player that’s made our second most appearance in minutes, is exactly that.

Not for me :smile:

I see you haven’t argued why the others are not…

Which is telling :relieved:

I know you have missed some time watching us. Gordon’s form dropped off a cliff for a while, seemed incapable of stopping a cross coming in. I think it is possibly down to tiredness, he plays virtually every game, plus internationals.

Very difficult to pick one player this season I think. No one player has been really consistent, or some have been out with injuries a lot. McEntee has been pretty solid overall but has missed a lot of game time.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t know where to start, some players have shone for a time, then completely fell off, no one has been consistent, i think anyone is capable of getting pots there isn’t a lot to choose from

Because there’s no point. It’s subjective and if you genuinely think those players out perform Gordon I’m both amazed and disagree :blush: no need for a boring argument though.

1 Like

Yeah I get that vibe reading between the lines of hyperbole and that’s fair enough. At Christmas he was clear by a mile for me, but will probably watch the next couple of games and decide.

2 Likes

Same for me mate best since Chambers in that role.

1 Like