A Ray of Sunshine

To commemorate our promotion under Sir Ray Graydon in 1999, which was 20 years ago today. I wrote this article about my own personal recollection and memories of that wonderful season.

It’s quite long, but hopefully an interesting read.

Hope you enjoy.

17 Likes

Excellent brings back great memories

Loved reading that. Happy days :+1:t2:

Cracking read and great memories.

Brilliant read - thanks

Superb Mark, I got emotional reading that as I could relate to so much of it.

A nice trip down memory lane. Thanks for that.

Seems you went to a lot of away games that season. The Lincoln one, Wrack’s goal and the Man City result will live long in the memory together with the happy faces of hundreds of Saddlers leaving Sincil Bank. I’m trying to recall if the Man City result was relayed over their tannoy as if not, in the era pre smart phones, I guess it might have been an old fashioned portable radio someone took along to let us know?

1 Like

I went to every game that season, as I did pretty much every season for 25 years. Bout 90% nowadays.

Think there were a few people making phone calls on oversized mobile phones to find out the city result. Although the portable radio reference reminded me of another great away day in 1995, when we played Scarborough on the Tuesday night, we were winning and waiting on Carlisle v Chesterfield result. Was a big crowd congregated around someone with a tiny portable radio.

Happy Days.

4 Likes

Read that online at the weekend, give me and my old man a good couple of reminiscing on what was my first proper season as a nipper. Nice one, great work mate.

Happy days… I live in hope that my young kids can experience such great feelings and emotions from a Walsall team one day .

4 Likes

Lovely read …thank you very much. So many happy memories relived.

Great days when league one players worked hard, weren’t knobheads and we had a manager who had a clue what they were doing.

2 Likes

Top article that Mark. Written from the heart.

Rob Steiner - I wondered what happened to him?

Siggy - Manager of the Chinese National Women’s team. Who knew?

2 Likes

What a compelling read. Hung on every line brought back feelings i fear i will never have again for our club. Always live in hope we may rise to those heady heights again one day.

1 Like

Excellent account. The Lincoln game was tremendous. I cannot remember how the man city news came through but I do remember a lot of very happy people leaving the ground!

3 Likes

Superb.

I had my oversized Nokia with me that night. My old girl was on the end of it, relaying updates of the Chesterfield game from teletext. What a night that was.

From start to finish - a fairytale. If that season was a programme on TV the critics would be saying it was too far fetched.