Accrington Stanley (A) 13th April, 3pm

Really can’t be arsed with the effort to drive to Wycombe now. Also not looking forward to going to Shrewsbury and being taunted by their fans for 90 mins, the only consolation is that I booked an early train to have a few beers.

It’s the hope and dreaming that does it. Constantly being let down by the players and club is starting to wear thin.

One game in and were already giving it Es Gorra Gew Franksy?

This is why the club have got away with this over the last three years. Cheap inept managers with cheap inept squads taking the ire of the fans.

FairPlay to O’Connor I say…did not pussyfoot about and told them exactly how it is . Showed he is no coward unlike the players.

5 Likes

I just wished he’d said more.

Let him upset every last one of them, even give a few the kind of treatment he gave Muscatt all those years ago.

2 Likes

What happened with Cook then?

Have to say in all honesty the treatment Cook received as he walked to the dressing room was appalling, little wonder he responded accordingly!
Those drunken, foul mouthed, yobs gobbing off at the players as they trudged off was utterly unacceptable.
They were trying to do their job, amazingly poorly of course, but a lack of quality throughout the squad meant that whatever efforts they put in came to less than nothing.
Sure boo them off by all means, but howling and spitting foul mouthed rants at the players certainly is not going to see them put in a greater effort for the next match, should for any bizarre reason MOC choses to play ANY of them ever again.
I was so embarrassed by that episode, even though in my youth I have been on the forefront off ‘bother’ but only with opposition supporters, NOT our own players, no matter how bad they were. Yes, that was one of the worst, most gutless, spineless, clueless, shambles of a ‘performance’ I have ever witnessed. But that mob even turned on some of the more elderly supporters who were being decent enough to applaud them!
I found the end of that match to be indicative of the whole mess that the club finds itself in.
MOC play the kids, can’t possibly be any worse than that shower.
Bonser, please fall on your sword, walk away, even if the club folds as a result, it has to be better than what we have at the moment.

7 Likes

Well said Worsul.

How much restraint do certain posters on here show when mildly criticised.

1 Like

Totally agree. We need to get rid of this management team as soon as.

6 Likes

I think in the past I would agree with you wholeheartedly Worsul.

But these players… they’ve completely disrespected our club. They have to take it in my opinion - and it’s not just performances, it’s the hand cupping, social media posts, comments to fans during games, etc that boils my blood.

Never hated a group of our own players before. Embarrassment.

2 Likes

Personally I understand the abuse, these players have given up its blatantly obvious.

Compare this lot to the likes of JOC, Bradshaw , Sawyers and Chambers who were always super professional on and off the pitch.

Easy to understand the abuse and tbh it’s ok with me!

I agree with this Thanatos. It is important to distinguish between the 40 or so drunken fools at Blackpool who were a disgrace and the events on Saturday.

At Blackpool it was a group of yobs I’ve never seen before just looking for trouble. Spitting at stewards and standing in the way of our disabled fans. I felt the team put in a shift in the second half that day, I applauded them for that and was embarrassed by that small section of our support who had barely watched the game such was their yobbish intent.
My default position of nobody really deserving a torrent of abuse whilst in their place of work was very much in play at Blackpool.

Saturday was different. Like all season the fans tried to stay with them despite the garbage on display. Right to the final whistle there were strains of encouragement despite most believing it was futile.

Like Oxfords third goal, the final whistle was the catalyst for two thirds of a season’s worth of pent up anger and frustration to snap. I think out of respect for Keates it has been bottled up much of the season. But it was bound to give at some point given the levels of gutlessness and ineptitude that has become the norm.

So whilst it was sweary and aggressive I don’t think it crossed the line. The police were in very close proximity and I didn’t see them feel the need to intervene. I think like me, they saw a lot of passionate people letting off a bit of steam whilst causing no danger to themselves or anybody else.

8 Likes

I think it has been coming. They decided to be cocky ■■■■■ from game 1 this season and are now getting their just rewards. What a bunch of knobs they must look now they’re languishing at the bottom of the league.

Have to disagree with this sentiment PT. That bile that I witnessed from no more than a couple of yards was totally unacceptable under ANY circumstances. I felt the stewards and police did not deal with this sufficiently well at the time. Some of the foul abuse went beyond acceptability.

1 Like

Was thinking this to myself yesterday, obviously confidence is going to be high after the start we had but the cockiness shown and hands to ears stuff just looks daft now we are where we are

I also witnessed it, the stewards handled it perfectly. They let the group vent their, deserved, anger and let the situation dissipate to a calm conclusion. What would you rather happen, the stewards wade in to the group and potentially cause an escalation of the situation? I think our stewards could learn a thing or two from the way it was handled.

Also, can you really blame fans who have travelled up and down the country each week following this lot from showing their frustrations, no matter how colourful the language? On numerous occasions this season the players have been all too quick to give it back to the supporters when on the very rare occasion they’ve done something well, it was only inevitable that the fans had their say on Saturday.

3 Likes

I think this is a little bit each to their own. I don’t boo or abuse players (well not since Merson), even after something as bad as Saturday, in fact I made a point of speaking to Liam Roberts during the warm up to tell him we were all right behind him and he was going to have the game of his life (well I tried!). However, those players deserved the stick. Its not as though it was a one off bad performance, its week after week after week against the poor opposition that we need points against. They all got their new haircuts and tried their best on the tele against Barnsley, but put a shift in for ordinary paying supporters? nah, not this lot.

On the rare occasion when something goes well the first thing that seems to be on their minds is to stick it to the crowd! Anyway Nicky Devlin, the player trying to calm Cook reckons the fans reaction was everything they deserved (E and S today). Worryingly he also says Friday is the last chance saloon. Well I can get that it is obviously, but I reckon this will go either one of two ways. Either we’ll see another tools-down performance to get the relegation over early, or we’ll contrive a win against a team on an equally poor run and they’ll all be giving it large to the supporters.

9 Likes

Not having that they didn’t deserve it.

There was no will, no fight, no passion, nothing in that performance. They gave nothing to the fans, the club or their own interests even.

If they can’t take that they shouldn’t be professional footballers. It takes a lot for me to get on the players backs. I’ve been to many dismal away trips and still clapped the players off. This wasn’t just one game. It’s a season of poor performances, false bravado and making a mockery of not only two club legends as managers but simply not looking arsed about it at the same time. It’s why most of them won’t, and don’t deserve, to see League One again.

8 Likes

Nail on the head.

If we flunk a win in next two games they’ll be cupping their ears again. Thinking they’ve done a good job.

2 Likes

There is no unity between fans and players, very much an us and them situation. Stay up and many of the players will say it was in spite of the fans and if we go down it will because of the fans. They do not give a toss about us and many of us couldn’t give two ■■■■■ about a fair few of them

Sad times indeed

2 Likes

Don’t get the whole never have a go at the players thing.

They were gutless, spineless, rubbish and have been all season, and yet still we’re not meant to give them any grief.

How about instead of the players getting upset, having a go back etc they grow two gonads between them and concentrate their efforts on giving every ounce of effort on matchday and working hard in training every day to improve their own game?

Even if its not for us, or our club, then for their own personal pride. That’s what i’d be doing and if I didn’t, i’d fully expect and deserve every bit of abuse I got.

3 Likes