Adebayo Interview

I agree with you. Although it’s an interesting one because playing Holden on the wing, to which he clearly wasn’t suites, could have destroyed him. But maybe that’s part of it? Has he got the character to stick with it and the football brain to learn to adapt? I think back to Martin butler being played left back and Troy deeney being played right wing and both of them went on to have excellent careers.

1 Like

And, the importance of having our first decent attacking coach since R O’K, in Marcus Stewart.

2 Likes

Who was being written off a few weeks ago.

People need to learn to give good managers time.

3 Likes

Same for players surely?

Key too everything is in that right there

We have had a great up turn in form and football we play over the last few months leading too the last 3 good performances

Lets all remember these league are not won in a a short period but over the season…We have improved but still lack consistency…Im sure it will come by the looks of it but a few games dont make a season and 11 place in the league shows how good and bad we can be !

Ada and holden both deserve huge credit tho, Holden has been great in that number 10 role and is a joy too watch and too see the pride on his face as he celebrated with fans was great… Ada has found his mojo and looks a real threat…Only 3 games like i say but great signs from him now…

DC and Dutts and Stewart seem too be now getting what they want from the team and have a style of football (till scarr hoys up top) and were doing well with it but i just wanna see more consistency more full game like that not halfs here and half’s there, what ever they are doing tho they are getting them players into a much better game style…

Josh Gordon for me in the biggest up turn this season…Flash works unreal, always chase a lost cause or press or track back and put a great tackle in, what a different player he is…Players like him and KIns get that team pressing and hurrying and hound the ball…

100% something better is coming out in that team now, been so up and down tho so from now till end of season a bit of consistency and a few new kids on here and there and maybe nexr season we can actually have a real go at this poor league…because it really is a poor league

4 Likes

Agree. There are some really promising signs, but this season has been punctuated by false dawns.

In truth, we’ve not out-played anyone in these last few games, we’ve just managed to out-score them. This is largely because DC has got us playing much better as an attacking unit and he deserves full credit for that, as do the coaching staff and the players who have raised their game.

That said, we’ve still not delivered a 90 minute performance and we’re still conceding too many. Can’t deny the last three home games have been entertaining but we’ve had to score eight goals to collect seven points because we’ve shipped five, a couple of which were really poor.

As you say, it’s about consistency. I’m excited by the direction we’re heading in but there are plenty of improvements needed for us to be a top seven team, which is why we can’t get too carried away.

Gordon nailed-on POTS for me by the way, might struggle to keep him in the summer.

5 Likes

Another big plus from Adebayo for me on Saturday that points to a change in attitude was his all round performance. Yes he scored two goals but it was his work rate and effort that stood out more for me. He’s been a pretty decent impact sub for much of the season for me, but he’s never been asked to do it on the back of two fantastic performances from a starting role

He could have easily sulked and milled around the pitch not really being interested, but he got his head down, worked hard and got his just rewards. I’m not sure that would have happened a few months ago

It’s amazing what a few months will do to change one’s opinion about players.
Most of us, including me, wrote off Holden, Adebayo and Gordon ever making the grade as footballers.
Thankfully, they have completely turned it around and become fan favorites.
Well done to the coaching staff for continuing to believe in them and inspire them with confidence, well done to those players for not giving up and kept going when the odds, and the fans, were so against them.

3 Likes

Quote from DC in the E&S:

“Some people will look and think Adebayo is unfortunate not to be in the starting team, but they don’t know he’s been injured for a week do they,” he added.

"We have to protect him with his ankle that he rolled last week.

"He was ruled out (for Stevenage) after doing his ankle - he caught one on the end of his toe which is painful.

"It’s eased down pretty well and he had a very light session on Thursday.

“He still felt it a little bit on Friday so I thought it was too much of a risk to potentially start him, but my three strikers are on form.”

1 Like

“They dont know he’s been injured for a week do they” well no , how would we.

3 Likes

i dont wanna sound rude and im possibly the same but our fans are very fickle…

“Ada silences all his critics” Now im god dam pleased hes doing well and showing great form but please dont make out he hasnt been nothing short of shocking mosf of the season and as a pro you expect 100% anyway…the 3 game swing has taken our fan base from “its ok” too its "amazing in 3 games

Now i get we have been so much better and see a steady increase of better football. BUT we still are mid table in a bang average league and have saw some of the worst football in a long time…

Youve said what i think there… pleased we are heading the correct direction and players now seem too get roles etc etc but there is still a huge road ahead and players are now doing what they should of being done at the start so lets not get carried away…

Its brilliant too see but untill its consistent and were top 7 its still not quite enough

6 Likes

Fickle ? I’ve been saying since September that we need to be patient and give the manager/ squad time to develop.

2 Likes

Its not just about you i mean the whole fan base in general…

It has been a roller-coaster ride this season and WE ALL have swayed between positive and negative due too the football we have seen… But a few wins means were “play off material” now…Sorry but we are not still plenty things too work on between now and summer… Consistency and sloppy goals being two…As i say the last 15 or so games (bar the odd blip) have steady been on the increase but in this league it should of always been the case…So for me this season been mediocre…Good and bad together with a lot of work still to do. But too say people are the new best thing since slice bread etc etc is over the top…we should of been playing like this from the start…Its good you find your feet just not so good when there is only 9 or so games left as its a season long thing

1 Like

Most will agree Butters the season has really been a let down in that we aren’t in the mix for promotion , or very least play offs .

But so many of these players were pretty much unproven or / and shipped out by the clubs they were at . Yes we had a few loaners which started off so badly and got some stick from the supporters ( me included ) we had a new manager who didn’t know what he was going to get out of 80% of his new signings and where he could mould them to make them perform as he would want .

Ade has had a few decent games now and hopefully has found his form and is receiving better coaching than he’s had anywhere else , but I understand what you’re saying he has to keep this up now and be consistant or the wheels will come off as quick as he’s having his name put into a song .

Holden was shocking at the start and people saying he was the worst loaner ever to put our shirt on ( again me included ) but now the manager is starting to get to know these players and finding out what they are best at and with continued coaching long may it continue .

We haven’t had much to shout about so far , but now we have let’s not shoot it down ,
but you are right this has got to be the norm now or it will soon turn into discontent among us all

1 Like

I will see your Rory Holden, and raise you Tom Curtis. Or Michael Ngoo. Or James Kelly. Or Mads Timm. We’ve had some shockers. :smiley:

1 Like

He started off as a very big threat to above said candidates … :rofl:

1 Like

I was in a small minority defending Holden early on, evidenced in the match threads.Noticed early on that he was always available for the ball and had a decent dead ball delivery. He’s come on a lot though, particularly since being played in a more suitable role.

Cannot say the same for Adebayo though. Always thought he was going to struggle.

1 Like

Im not knocking it down at all im as happy as anyone too see some progress and we have deffo some of that… But as i said consistency is key its all well and good having them playing well if its not week in week out… Its much much better but still plenty too do make it where we need too be. But we cant always carry that “well they was cast offs” they are professional players…there best is minimum and i didn’t see peoples best at all until recently and some i still haven’t…20 games wont make a season 40 odd will…So yes its vast improvement but still a lot of hard work and many more big bumps im sure…Re judge 10 games into next season and well have a good account of where we actually are…

It isnt knocking them down its wanting more from them just like DC…I said after the focus meeting i had faith in DC and LP too turn this (admitidly ive been first too question many of his decision) but he seems too be pulling off his way and style and its deffo coming thru now, its taken longer than we hoped and we had too see some of the worst football we have seen but hes getting us there…But lets not getting carried and see where this goes ay we got a few games left too see it continue and then we got next season where those last 3 games should be normal not on the off and catch

Wouldn’t worry too much mate Lavertory ain’t nothing to worry about :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Lavery is one of those players that ive watched lots of times but couldn’t tell you anything he excels at. Even ■■■■ players can often be said to have one attribute - say pace, or hold the ball up, good finisher etc - but he is just tat at everything. Complete non entity.

1 Like