Alfreton Town (A) 6th July 2019

Will probably be playing them in 2 years time in the league

yeah non league

Be interesting to see reactions of those who were there. Masi seemed to think we were good first half and had a lot of chances to put it to bed. Also said Sinclair and Bates looked good.

1 Like

It’s difficult to be optimistic at the moment. We are 3 or 4 experienced players short of even a mid-table LG 2 side.

2 Likes

We are only in the first week of July… dont hit the panic button just yet

1 Like

I agree. Likes of Flatt, Alex Nicholls and Mcalinden should probably be on trial at Alfreton.

3 Likes

Im not going to panic just yet. Losing to a non league side in our first match isnt to worry about whilst the team is still working up fitness. I dont like the thought of McAlinden and Nicholls up top though xD

In fairness, the GK made one great save but his distribution was haphazard; Nichols looked WAY off the pace but McAlinden looked good to me. Knows Elijah too I think. He showed glimpses of promise.

One side note: Jamie Hardy had a moment of Oztumer esque magic when he wriggled around three players on the edge of the box before slipping in Nichols… who was looking the wrong way!

The pick for me today were Clarke (a captain’s performance), Sinclair (a warrior in the middle) and Bates. If Dobson is sold, Bates may start.

Agree that 3 experienced players and some wingers are needed though: very narrow today and the wingbacks kept checking back instead of driving forward with purpose and belief.

2 Likes

Who captained the side today?

James Clarke: a proper number 5 :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Been today much optimism on 1st half performance Clarke Sinclair fantastic additions 2nd half wouldn’t bother with any except goalkeeper and Facey in the 1st 11 dobbo was awful like he doesn’t want to be here Clarke will sort through the ■■■■ and by Northampton should of a squad hopefully and to the young ones who sang sack the board after the 1st friendly have patience for christ sake who would want to manage and play for us when you here that in 1st friendly of the season UTS

Noticeable drop-off in quality after the half-time changes, which just shows what we all know about the lack of depth we currently have. I’m pretty sure that our 3 centre backs in the second half were all from our under 18 side.

First-half though was pretty good. Clarke looks like an excellent addition at the back and Sinclair buzzed around with Kinsella and Bates.

Didn’t see anything from Nicholls, Macalinden or Flatt that convinced me they should be signed up on permanent deals.

Anyone comment on how Leak played?

Solid half.

1 Like

First half wasn’t bad but oh dear the second half was desperate. I thought the keeper was good but if I never saw the rest in a Walsall shirt I would be happy.

He was the only one to play both halves.

Looked decent enough first half but didn’t particularly stand out, playing in a back 3 to the left of Scarr and Clarke - but then we weren’t much troubled by Alfreton (up until their first goal when we seemed to collectively switch off). Apart from the goal, the team and formation looked solid and functional with no individual errors that were the hallmark of last season.

Second half was a totally different story as we were totally overrun and lucky that we didn’t concede a hatful. Leak was one of the few who didn’t look completely out of their depth but couldn’t do much on his own to make up for their shortcomings collectively.

1 Like

I didn’t go today but clearly we need some experienced players to be added to the squad. In the second half the back 3 were a first year professional and 2 youth teamers . Obviously I cannot comment on individuals but the second half team was clearly a “scratch” team . Clarke may have learn’t something but it is clear that there is a need for further strengthening if we are to compete even at this level.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment and obviously things needs to change at the top as its pretty toxic. However, it felt a bit too much today as it was aimed, in the main, at Dan Mole who was sat not far away watching the match with his two young kids. Felt sorry for him.

1 Like

I’m really pleased to hear that the fans are giving the management team grief. The more the better for me :smile:

1 Like

If that is true then they should be ashamed of themselves…it is hurtful to the individual and more importantly does no one any good. We desperately need some positivity around the club else all these prophecies of doom and gloom will come true.

4 Likes