Andy Williams signs

So, is an optimist someone that a cynic calls a fantasist?

1 Like

Don’t mind this signing dependent on what attacking options are signed alongside. I for one would have liked to see Miller ( or a similar type) work with him I recon he could teach a young striker loads to develop him further possibly giving a resale value

2 Likes

@Acuman I agree with you about Miller and Williams.

I’ve just googled it and he hasn’t signed for Bradford yet.

After they signed OSS and Chapman, it might not go through anyway.

Now that Dave has left, I’d seriously consider making George Miller a sensible contract offer. What do you think?

1 Like

I would be happy tbh. He knows the club and Flynn knows him. I think he would have got more goals as a two rather than a loan striker. I also think if he is not the sole source of goals his conversion rate would be better as he missed chances some as he snatched at which wouldn’t happen with confidence. Also some of the sitters he missed at least he had the instinct to get there. He’s young and I’m sure he will improve.
Whether it is with us or someone else we will have to wait and see I can see some Walsall fans not been happy if it happens but it once again depends on the whole picture.

2 Likes

Two totally different players, but i’m sure Akinfenwa was released by Wimbledon at 35. Signed for Wycombe and achieved two promotions in his time there. Maybe Williams will be of a similar ilk.

I don’t believe he will start many games, but that experience and know-how will definitely benefit us you would imagine.

1 Like

That’s how I see the signing. I’m not that excited but I see the benefits. Same with Clarke

2 Likes

That’s my thought too.

In another thread a while back I recall someone naming Jon Macken as being one of our, shall we say, worse rather than better players.

He was a little bit younger than Williams when he was with us, but obviously on the downward slope of his career and not as influential as a striker as he had been in his prime. But playing alongside him was a young Will Grigg who appeared to blossom under his tutelage.

Not here as long but I recall seeing Steve Staunton doing the same sort of in-game mentorship with Ant Gerrard.

You sometimes do need a bit of May and December going on to help the younger less experienced players flower more.

1 Like

The trouble is, we don’t have a Will Grigg type player for him to mentor

Ronan Maher maybe? @chunkster

I still think that we’ll get a loan striker in from Wolves, Villa or the Albion though…

1 Like

Magnificent 700 for Williams

Nice article and encouraging he’s not looking at winding down his career and aiming to make an incredible 800 appearances.

Don’t think we’ve seen the best of him yet and could be a key player if we lose DJ in January.

1 Like

Hopefully not in a Walsall shirt.

5 Likes

Wtf are you on about? :rofl:

11 Likes

Silverdale want a new striker.

I played for them once upon a time

1 Like

Really… Fans are gonna love that arent they. Williams our main striker till the end of the season… Dosnt bear thinking about

2 Likes

Yeah , you may as well get Chunksters boots polished …

1 Like

:joy: I was never prolific :joy:

1 Like

Horrific if I remember correctly … but then again where’s the difference

3 Likes

Williams will not score goals . He try’s his best but is a yard or two of the pace even at this level . Best thing he can do is hang up his boots at the end of the season.

1 Like