As a Walsall fan who do you have most hatred for out our local teams

I don’t really hate any other club…lets face it we need them to play against. My second team after Walsall would be WBA. I think that stems from their teams when I was growing up and their commitment to playing the game in the right way.
What I don’t like is how some clubs ,simply because they become the playthings of rich men , suddenly think they are real football clubs. Give me Stockport over Salford any day as an example.

2 Likes

Not fussed by the Birmingham teams or Albion. Grew up disliking the Wolves but these days I’m more annoyed by how the local media fawn over them than the club or supporters.

Shrewsbury is the one for me, as it’s genuinely reciprocated. They really don’t like us, they think we’re gypos, hate losing to us, and other than a historic needle with Hereford we’re their main rival.

Helps also that we were their bogey team for about 25 years, so the fact we’re about to finish below them for a third consecutive season says everything about our recent decline.

2 Likes

As I’ve got older my hatred for teams like Villa and Wolves have certainly lessened. Never had an issue with the baggies/blues.

Shrewsbury though. ■■■■■■■ hate the sheepshagging ■■■■■■.

Dislike Port Vale as well but not to the level of Shrewsbury.

Shrewsbury, can’t stand them, would like them to cease to exist.

I don’t mind Wolves or the Bag Ladies, don’t like Villa or Blooze, hated Sjoke when we were always playing them a couple of decades ago, but can’t be bothered now. Dislike Vale.

Coventry are the worst of the so called big boys. I wish their financial troubles would escalate and they would also be wiped out of existence.

Definitely Shrewsbury top of the pile, closely followed by Vale.

It’s difficult to have any sort of ‘hatred’ for the big clubs in our region as we simply don’t get to play them much. I’d probably add Coventry ahead of Wolves, Villa, Baggies or Blues.

2 Likes

Dingles lost £1m a week the season they got promoted, blues got docked several points for losing a lot less over 3 years. I may be bitter and twisted but losing £50m in a year in the championship a couple of years after being in the third tier doesn’t earn my respect, league rules only allow you to lose £30m over 3 years. I do have a deep hatred for the dingles probably due to run ins I had at school with so called dingle fans although the few genuine fans who actually went to games I got on well with. My biggest disappointment is that the bhati brothers didn’t finish the job they started.

2 Likes

Got to be Wolves, when they were down and nearly out under the Bhatti brothers their crowds went down to under 4000, where were the gold and black hoards when their club needed them most.Glory hunting barstewards

1 Like

I used to dislike all the immediately local teams, especially when we were in the same league as them; Shrewsbury, Albion, Wolves, Birmingham. When I was younger and going all the time I also had real dislike for localish teams Sjoke, Northampton, Crewe.

Never really thought about Vile as they always seemed a million miles away from us. However, as I have mellowed, these days they are the only team I really continue to dislike! The appointment of DS did soften that a little, but I cannot stand the sense of entitlement around that place.

In terms of neanderthal followings, Blues win by some distance, yet they seem to get away with it more than other clubs.

Because they are our local rivals

There scum plain and simple

80s was just a bad period for football attendances generally, many top flight games had barely 10k there due to all the hooliganism in those times and other factors.

Wolves were certainly averaging more than that in league one a few years ago, wasn’t that far off a 20k average IIRC.

Yes they whine a lot but to me it’s a better fanbase that is growing than say WBA who were about 4k under capacity when they played Preston recently (the top team in the championship) and obviously Blues.

The big question is…If Walsall went bust who would you follow? In reality I would support the phoenix team or Rushall/Walsall Wood. However, for the sake of argument, let’s say you are being forced to support a league team…

A question for a psychologist: Is it part of the natural human psyche to develop a hatred for your sporting neighbours?

Seems to be largely true in football although 2 cities where rivals rub along together ok are Liverpool and Nottingham. Seem to be the exceptions.

I think I’d support Port Vale,Shrewsbury and Wolves on a rotary system… :grinning:

1 Like

I can remember going to Notts County in the 70s,about 20 minutes from end a load of Forest fans turned up and started fighting with the county fans.

For me it would be Albion as (in my opinion) the least terrible option. Added bonus that they also hate the custard eaters.

2 Likes

That was, perhaps when no one needed a reason for a punch up at a match. County fans aren’t that fond of Forest but generally Forest fans are quite supportive of County. There’s not the tension or hatred that the Sheffield, Glasgow, Birmingham or Manc clubs have for one another.

Loads of venom between Liverpool and Everton fans these days, certainly don’t sit together at games as much as they used to.

Liverpool could actually win the title at Goodison if Man. City lose this week.

Id end up following where ever my pal plays for…

Id rather eat cat ■■■■ than go follow another midlands team

I dont wanna be part of there horrible little worlds

I mean Vile,Blues, WOlves and bAggies…

Non league and lower clubs dont count in that statement

1 Like

Aston Villa - Went to a school full of Vile fans between 96-03, at the time they were a decent Premier League club and I’d get grief for supporting little old Walsall, still don’t like Villa to this day.

Birmingham City - Don’t mind them, offered me my first Coaching/Video Analyst job after University.

Wolves - Apart from myself and my son the rest of the extended family are West Brom fans, therefore I’ve been brought up to dislike the Dingles.

West Brom - see above, don’t mind them.

Shrewsbury - Something about their fans I just don’t like, can’t put my finger on what it is exactly (neither can they due to their hooves).

Port Vale - Horrible club, horrible fans, horrible players (Mr Pope the main culprit)

Always had soft spots for Hednesford Town and Rushall Olympic since playing for them as a youth. Id also add the original Darlaston Town to this list, gutted when they folded but good to see them reincarnated

1 Like

Yes I would follow the Albion but I doubt I would support them as I do Walsall with my money and my heart.