Barrow

I think it’s an ability issue. The skills and attributes required to officiate are different to those needed to compete as a player. Makes no difference to me if the officials are men or women, or if we signed women to play for our team, provided they were better / as good as we have now.

Yowm probably the only regular female poster on here. I respect you as a poster because of the quality of what you post, not because you are a woman. It isn’t relevant, nor should it be.

5 Likes

I knew all this would happen to be fair as soon as female officials were introduced. Is it really worth all the hassle they get stick if they are male are female and always will.

It will be interesting to see if the day ever comes where females are signed for male teams.

Don’t like the way football is heading. Referees get a decent wedge and have to put up with supporters discontent as they know before the take that career path .Can see clubs getting fined soon for questioning a refs decision.

It works in rugby and it’s all the better for it. You NEVER question the ref because a sanction will immediately be imposed.

1 Like

I think we’ll see women coaches and then managers first. Hope Powell and latterly Emma Hayes have both been linked with jobs in the EFL.

I remember the furore when Karen Brady took the job at Blues. She wasn’t allowed in the boardrooms at some clubs. Now there are plenty of female executives (obviously not at Walsall!!) - it is completely normal. As are female match officials. There’s no reason that progress shouldn’t continue into the dressing room.

[insert plenty of pussies joke here]

I can’t believe the word pu55y is blocked…

I’ll state the obvious and invoke the ire of the PC brigade.

There’s a risk of serious injury, unless we are now pretending men and women are no longer physiologically different. Personally I don’t want to see that.

1 Like

I agree Andy. I can see women coaches /managers etc, but I don’t see women players ever playing at any reasonable level in mixed teams, due to it being a contact sport.
There may be an exception to the rule now and again but it’s hard to see it being the norm, unless of course it becomes mandated to have mixed sex teams.

3 Likes

When I was in my last year at Primary School sometime in the mid 80s I was in our school football team. We were drawn against Pheasey at home in the quarter-finals of a cup we were in.

They had recently been on the local news because they had a very talented girl that had been playing for their school. She wasn’t allowed to play against us and as I remember they said they wouldn’t play us unless she was allowed to play. There was no opposition from our school against her playing. I can’t remember exactly what happened but she didn’t play and they did play us. We smashed them 4-0 in the end.

I don’t think there were any girls teams at all at the time. Different these days, there are girls football clubs everywhere and the status of the women’s game in general is much higher than it once was. It get’s decent T.V and radio coverage.

I don’t see there ever being mixed sex football for some of the reasons mentioned above. The difference in physicality being the main barrier.

1 Like

It is ok for men to stick to their football and women to stick to theirs, for some reason the world is changing far too much towards certain things like this conversation for example the mens game will be too physical for a women to play in.It is ok for men to be physically stronger than a women it’s life it’s the way we are built from birth it’s been like it for as long as you can go back in time.For some reason people don’t like that and will probably not like what I’ve wrote but it’s all true.

2 Likes

The way the world is going mate, we won’t have to think about womens/mens teams it will be all transgender :wink:

2 Likes

Two questions:

1. If Walsall played the England women’s team, would we win?
  2. Do male players behave better in terms of their swearing and so on if there are women officials?

As for “it’s a man’s game”: obviously the statement is factually untrue, given the number of children and women who also play. Logically, therefore, the term is contrasting with something else, which is presumably women or boys/children. Has anyone heard a coach shouting “it’s a woman’s game” when there is a foul given in a women’s match (to contrast with girls)?

Can’t believe you’re asking that. I hope none of the players are reading this.

Assuming they took no prisoners, Walsall would get double figures.

1 Like

The reason I ask is that watching the England team, I am not sure they have less skill. It would be the physical differences, strength and pace, that would do it probably. I was not criticising our players by the way - I just meant any League 2 side.

When we used to have decently skilful teams and played some of the lesser teams from the top division, strength, pace and stamina were often the difference between the teams. When we drew 1-1 at home with Leeds, I think they had about 9 players above 6 feet. Land of the Giants stuff.

I think there have been a few examples of Women’s international teams being mulleted by professional clubs’ youth teams.

1 Like

Walsall would beat the womens England team about 15-0

1 Like

I think the top women would have more skill than most league 2 players, but physically they couldn’t compete, so the mens teams would win.
I’d be more than happy to have female refs though, and I don’t see why we shouldn’t have managers/coaches, along with the medical staff, physios, etc. Not long ago the idea of having a female physio in the game would have been looked at askance, but I doubt many care too much now.

Personally I think that’s also nonsense.