Barrow

Fair enough.

I’d put money on the fact that theirs women footballers out there that can weight lift more than I can mate and probably more than most on here.They are brilliant in what they do in womens football and are in better physical shape than I’ve ever been of that I have no doubt.But I just can’t see there being a mixed game on a Saturday in the football league.I certainly wouldn’t go to another game that’s for sure.I don’t watch womens football because I don’t enjoy watching it.England beating Luxembourg 20-0 isn’t something I find enjoyable to watch and the same goes for the womens premier league it’s not for me at all and as I’ve said that’s ok if I don’t want to.There are a few skilful players but the majority aren’t at all in fact some of the keepers(because I take an interest as I use to be one) are not very good at all and I think they’d be found out massively on a pitch with a bloke smashing a ball at them.I personally hope both sexes stick to their own games especially now the womens game is getting more coverage it’s not needed to be mixed up to get more attention in my opinion.

1 Like

Goalkeeping would be the biggest difference.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting having mixed games, certainly not after puberty has passed. But as I said, I have no problem with women being involved in other aspects of the game.

I have played against a couple of very good women players in friendly or kickabout games, they were way better than me but my strength evened things up, even though I was more than twice their age and I’m not much good.

3 Likes

A ringing endorsement :joy:

Damned with faint praise, I think it’s called.

1 Like

What s great reg plate for Katie Price.

Tomlin starts , no White . Wonder what formation

Looks like Osedebe and Shade as full backs !!! If so a very attacking team.

Everyone has gone bonkers, posting on the wrong threads :joy:

3 Likes

Changing the subject a bit - what team does Karen Brady support given that she’s actually made a fist of managing director at both Blues and West Ham? Bringing it up in the context of comments made about various club employees not actually being dyed in the wool Walsall fans as such. Does it matter?

Hmmm, yeah, I think I could have expressed myself a little better. :disappointed:

1 Like

Not if they’re any good at their jobs. It’s a target on their backs otherwise.

1 Like

But which roles does it apply to?

Players, managers and coaching staff will likely not be lifelong fans, and would it matter about the chairman and directors so long as they keep the money tap running (like the overseas investment at many other clubs)?

Match stewards, parking attendants, ticket office, shop assistants, bar and catering staff, turnstile operators, programme sellers - all front line interacting with fans attending games, but would it really spoil your day knowing they were Dingles or Chelsea fans when off duty? Many stewards you talk to at other grounds are often not fans of the home club - they miss most of the game keeping an eye on spectators, and the other jobs mean missing at least part of games too so not best suited to superfans.

That basically leaves just the back office staff - who all do what they are told by the people that pay them. Would being fans really help the media team make better videos, or the marketing manager sell more advertising?

Nice if they all were (although the ground would be half empty at kickoff), not the end of the world if they are not.

2 Likes

Understand what you are saying but I think if you have a bloke doing the interviews who is a blue nose and does a poor job. Then why not have a walsall fan who knows about our club and will ask proper questions and the fans can relate to him.

A bit like the current SLO then?

2 Likes

You have a point there :joy:

Don’t think we’ll get that far but I do think they’ll be a female manager somewhere in league 1-2 in the next decade.

IIRC Emma Hayes was on AFC Wimbledon’s shortlist a few seasons back but wasn’t interested. Given they’re currently on 20 match winless streak in league one I’m sure she’d be doing better.

It was good earlier this season when a female ref did an England game and nobody cared, that’s progress considering the Keys and Grays stuff from 2011. Also can remember when Jacqui Oatley became first female comms on MOTD and there was endless debate about it in papers for a week, now it’s commonplace and she’s one of the best broadcasters on TV imo.

Also is a female ref floating around in league 2. Did a Port Vale game last season and think Clarke was happy with how it went and we all know he isn’t short of a comment or two. Will be fun and games I’m sure on here when she eventually pitches up at the Bescot. If she’s good at it then she should scale up to prem eventually.

2 Likes

Dale Moon was also a bluenose and he was class at the job.

It just depends on who the club employs and also the resources they provide but then again you don’t need huge budget to have foresight to video fans celebrating goals or doing behind scenes footage of players at hotel before away games as happened in 15/16.

Wasn’t Dale also involved with the shortlived saddlers TV that popped up on Freeview? Used to be a weekly 30 minute piece with interview with either player or official at the club plus report on the latest match.

I think being a Walsall fan is largely irrelevant here.

2 Likes

Unless there are two women referees, Rebecca Welsh officiated at Bescot when we played Newport on New Year’s Day. She was also the designated ref at Salford yesterday, but was replaced by Backhouse.

Wasn’t it Dale that produced those Cutler/Etheridge routines from the training ground? Those clips were superb and captured what went on behind the scenes. The current media department lacks drive and imagination.

3 Likes