Bradford City (H) 23rd Feb, 3pm

"Remember us in Cups full-crowned,
And let our City-health go round"

(Herrick)

A sobering thought to add to the growing pile of sobering thoughts in this traumatic season … when Bradford City thumped us 4-0 in mid-December, we were in the top half of the League One table while City were in the bottom four. Since then we’ve played 11 League One games picking up a miserable 5 points, which is relegation form by any standards. Now in mid-February City are in the same position, and we look increasingly likely to join them (or, more likely, change places). Looking at the most recent 5 games, the Bantams have picked up 6 points and sit amongst the chasing pack of 5 clubs breathing down our neck. Their current League One form:-

19 Jan Southend United (H) Lost 0-4
26 Jan Burton Albion (A) Drew 1-1
29 Jan Shrewsbury Town (H) Won 4-3
2 Feb Wycombe Wanderers (A) Drew 0-0
9 Feb Fleetwood Town (H) Lost 0-1
16 Feb Plymouth Argyle (H) Drew 0-0

It’s debatable whether Dean Keates’ bringing his squad in for extra training will pay dividends in a competitive game - recent performances might suggest that some players have “switched off” already, accepting relegation as inevitable. It’s all very well for players to make public statements about everyone being “behind the gaffer”, but the evidence on the pitch indicates that this attitude is sporadic at best. Our best (or least worst) starting XI has almost as many variations as there are squad members, and all the fans can do is wait for the team announcements before Saturday’s game before thinking "what on earth is he playing at?"

Prediction? Recently, every game has attracted the labels “must win”, “last chance”, “crunch game” - think Blackpool, Rochdale, AFC Wimbledon, and this fixture is an obvious addition to that list. We simply have to win this one if we are to have any realistic chance of staying in League One, specially bearing in mind the quality of opposition that awaits us in March - therefore we must hope that the gravity of the situation translates to this game, so let’s have a scrappy 2-1 home win, goals courtesy of Andy Cook and a Richard O’Donnell o.g. :wink:

UTS

2 Likes

We’ve 2 wins in 11 versus Bradford since their return to League One in 2013.

However, a more positive stat, Bradford haven’t managed a league double against us since 1989.

Stat head says: draw.
Eyes in my head say: Bradford win.
Heart says: why do you keep doing this to me?

2 Likes

Lose 4-1

I concur…except we won’t score

Lose 1-3

I’m in the 1-4 camp too.
Rare home game for me, hoping for better but we just don’t have the right players or the right attitude for a fight.

3-0 loss.

Unfortunately breaking my self imposed exile for this one. Waste of a fiver.

1 Like

Had it as a draw on the relegation calculator so 1.1

1 Like

This has got 0-2 written all over it.

One to three or four against.

Although Bradford are in the bottom four, they’ve had some tough recent games and seem to be able to string out draws and the odd win.

1 Like

Nailed on defeat. Keates is still the manager. Why?

1-4.
And if it is, things could get very unpleasant indeed.

Can’t believe it but it seems we are just going to sleep walk to relegation .

Lose…I don’t care about the score.

1 Like

Another loss. We’ll huff and puff and then be cut open with ease.

1 Like

I’m nipping off to Spain tomorrow for a couple of weeks so a good Saturday of sport and drinking awaits. First up watching us win 3-2 on ifollow at almost friend for a fiver rate of 6 euros, followed by us stuffing the Welshies in the raggbeee.

Cook and O’Connor with two.
:smile:

1 Like

Team talk or Bradford manager easy Welcome to Walsall the team that keep giving.

8-9 in a game that goes down in legend. In the year 2067, a film is made (possibly a mockumentary, the runes are unclear) about the legend of the extra training day. The plucky under dogs are so close to pulling off the unlikely victory until the last minute when the very training routine they worked on rebounds against the bar. The evil Bradford coach uses an illegal dropkick against Keates leading to his inability to give the vital formation changes which would have consequently kept us up. Looking forward to it.

4 Likes

Don’t see anything here.

Won’t be 4-0 though. When you look back that was the turning point of the season now. Before that match the team had ground out hard fought draws at Fleetwood and Sunderland (two games that really should’ve been won) and the manic late win v Coventry.

Performances weren’t great but team could still battle and scrap like in the good old days of August and September.

Since Valley Parade the team have collected FIVE points.

Will go for 1-3. Can’t see whatever back 4/5 is put out dealing with Eion Doyle, Jack Payne and David Ball who are all good forward players at this level and indeed provided 3 of the 4 goals up there.

We’re at the depths of the season where just scoring a goal will feel like a massive achievement.

We will win Saturday. I will go 3-0 - no danger it’s a nailed on win.

1 Like