Bradshaw sell on

Or paying Simeon Jackson’s wages…

1 Like

Jackson, Moussa and Makris?

Serious? We lost virtually an entire team that summer, so we had to sign some players to replace all those that left and did so. Presumabley the wages we saved on the ones that left was spent on the ones that joined, there or there abouts. The only transfer fee we paid was for Makris, which we recouped the following summer. So I’m a bit confused as to how that uses up the 1.8m in transfer fees received, 650k Bradshaw and 1.2m Henry, unless of course Jackson was on 20k a week. Anyhow, according to this mornings E and S, Deeney’s going to the Albion for 10m. So another 2m in the pot.

2 Likes

It was around that time that the heat was rising on the club surrounding the lack of investment , so to me it’s no surprise to hear that they built a privacy agreement around the sell on.

When I questioned Mr Mole his response was it’s probably something best discussed at a FF… I bet it is!!

They did refer to running costs when this was raised recently, suggesting that a simple financial like for like was somewhat erroneous. The artificial pitch and other spends were stated as some of the outlays.

What happens if WBA and Watford trade Ben Forster for Troy Deeney and no money changes hands?

Tribunal.

The comments made by Deeney earlier in the season really boiled my gypsy’s kiss. “I’ve spoken to Walsall and asked them to forget the sell on”. Why the hell should we forget the sell on? Just because his personal earnings have probably exceeded the value of it? Do these players forget that money like this is the reason that our academies exist? Considering we plucked Troy from relative obscurity thanks to Mick Halsall, he should be putting pressure on the transferring clubs to make sure the agreements are honoured in full. Sadly not going to happen in today’s me me me (and my agent) world of football.

1 Like

I don’t think he asked WFC to “forget” his sell on, didn’t he say he asked them to simply lower it?

I thought he said in the press that the sell on was making a move away from Watford very difficult. Either way he shouldn’t forget the club that gave him a chance.

Is this not just a case of Watford being greedy?

Initial outlay 500k in return they got a good few years of service , Promotion to the Premier League , Premier League stability , Increased revenue from the TV rights etc etc. On top of that they will still walk away with 7-8 million!!

Not sure how its Walsall potentially scuppering anything.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Either that or they are using the sell-on clause as an excuse to inflate their valuation of Deeney beyond reasonable market value because they don’t want to sell him.

Theres a difference between asking a club to “forget” a sell on, and asking them to consider lowering it.

This is the interview you are referring to: Exclusive: Troy Deeney admits Walsall sell-on clause has got in the way | Express & Star

His actual quote was:

“There’s been times where I’ve tried to speak to (Saddlers chairman) Jeff (Bonser) and try to, you know, be sensible.”

As for Watford, yes, they are being a little greedy - but it all depends who is agitating for the move. Is it Troy and his agent who fancy one last big pay day? Cos if it is, I can see Watford point of view - they’ve got a good player, wanted by other clubs, they know Troy fancies a decent little signing on fee, and to let him go, they’re going to have to accept 25% less than his valuation. I can sympathise with a club saying to Troy, “if you want to move, you’re going to have to negotiate your way out of your sell on clause with WFC”.

Yes, I’ve got every sympathy with any Premier League club when it comes to money.

2 Likes

If he was that bothered about it he should have brought out the clause himself then to facilitate the move.

Watford lost their minds because at one point it looked like Leicester were going to get 30 plus million selling Vardy and they probably thought Leicester were going to pay them a big chunk of that buying Deeney.

■■■■ Watford and ■■■■ Deeney. This is the deal and it should be honoured. We need it far more than they do.

2 Likes

Yeah. Why should they have to honour an agreement they made…

1 Like

Cash in on Deeney. Buy bradshaw and immediately save 20%… Simples :rofl:

2 Likes

Who’s saying they “should”? It’s business. If Watford don’t see the value in selling someone for £10m that would take £15m to replace, that’s their prerogative

Stopping wetting yourself over a fricking sell-on. It wouldn’t get anywhere near the club’s coffers anyway.

If they sell Deeney they SHOULD HONOUR THE DEAL. Nobody’s saying they should sell or what they should sell for :roll_eyes: