Brian caswell

Independent Saddlers Supporters Association

Was an honour to have this ex saddler join us down the railway club. Prior to yesterday’s game

A proper Saddler. Who’s loyalty to the club went above and beyond

Can still picture him now. Strutting his stuff at anfield. and Highbury and. Looking right at home against what where some of the best players. In the world at the time.

What we would give now to have players. Like Brian and his then teammates. , some might say it’s looking through rose tinted glasses , I’d say it’s a sad reflection Of a club that’s been brought to its knees. And has either chose to forget Or is not bothered. About what our club means to so many

Hopefully Brian will be joining us again at the railway club pre our final game. Of the season. V. Swindon. Alongside. Some of his old team mates and other saddler legends

10 Likes

I’d say he’d be the first choice at right back, first choice at left back and first choice for any of the midfield positions. I wouldn’t say it’s looking through rose tinted glasses, he was better than what we have now.
I remember him at Anfield nonchalantly chesting the ball back to Ron Green in the six yard box.

2 Likes

Total legend, what a player

1 Like

17 goals. That’s probably more than anyone currently on the books will manage for Walsall.

4 Likes

Loved him :heart: we used to go for a drink with his sister Dawn and her hubby Mark a nice couple

2 Likes

I also loved Brian, no surprise really he was a Wednesbury boy.

1 Like

Started as a very inept wide midfielder (decapitated poultry stylee), then Doug Fraser decided to play him at full back for a match at Wrexham, and the world was put to rights. I think my dad worked with his dad at the BRD in Aldridge. But I might be wrong.

I met a Doncaster Rovers fan once who rated Brian the best right back he ever saw playing for them. Now that was some impression to make given the short time he was there.

1 Like

Right back was possibly his best position, although he was a good left back too. It was interesting in the mid 70s, we had Fry, Harrison and Caswell and they would all play either right or left back without a noticeable diminution in quality.

He was a good midfielder too, played there for a few seasons when Macken and Mower were the two full backs. He scored six goals from midfield when we were promoted from this division in 79-80. How many goals have the current midfielders scored between them this season?

3 Likes

Great player was Brian, not the very best RB I’ve seen but not far from it.

1 Like

There’s a new estate in Lichfield with one of the roads, off the main drag, named Caswell Road. It always makes me smile as I drive past.

2 Likes

There’s another one named after Dame Omlette it’s called Lackof Drive.

It’s just round the corner from Lostour Way. Ok I’m going !

Legend.

Is that the one just around the corner from Zack Mills Drive? :joy:

Is that a dead end?

It’s a cul de sac mate, you think you are going the right way then realise it’s a dead end, so have to do a u turn and end up back where you started.

The game I did the Radio Birmingham thing for in '79 Caswell scored and won man of the match (v Torquay), and I watched him interviewed by Franksy in the press box at Fellows Park, one of my memories of that day he was so nervous going on the radio live he was shaking like a leaf.
Different era and all that, but I remember being amazed how nervous he was considering he played infront of a few (and sometimes many) thousand people every week.

Great player. Didn’t the matchday prog for 76/77 season have a Brian Caswell, flare wearing silhouette leaning on a crush barrier as an advert for some local fashion outlet (that presumabley sold flares)?

2 Likes