Bruce George MP

My MP for many years. May he rest in peace.
I spoke with him couple of times, very approachable and was very committed to the people of Walsall South.
He loved watching the Saddlers from his perch high on top of the Hillary Street end.
Great servant to the community he served with distinction for many years.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting this David, I was unaware of his passing.

A decent, educated man and fellow Saddler who made a difference to the lives of many, both here and overseas.

RIP

2 Likes

I was unaware of this also. Sad news. A very well respected MP and decent man. RIP.

1 Like

I hope the club marks this passing, he wasn’t an employee but he certainly had a long-standing association.

2 Likes

Remember seeing him at Fellows Park regularly. sure he was also the goalkeeper for the MPs football team. Always seemed a decent rational man of the people. Sad news indeed.

3 Likes

If there were more like him in the Labour party now,Labour would be in power,he was a genuine saddlers fan (not just to get votes) and he was also chairman of the Commons defence select committee from 1997 to 2005. R.I.P Bruce.

4 Likes

Yes, very sad news. Although he was never a front-bencher he did lots of good work behind the scenes, particularly regarding defence. He had a common sense approach to politics which earned him respect from politicians on all sides.
More importantly for us, he was a fantastic local MP, who (unlike his successor Valerie Vaz) was often seen around the town - not to catch votes, nor for photo opportunities, but because he was part of the community.
Then of course he was a massive Saddlers fan - seen at most home matches at both FP and Bescot.
I agree with Sid Swifty - if there were 650 MP’s like Bruce this country would be a much better place.

2 Likes

Sad news .
I sat next to him at Stoke in the play off semi final , very passionate supporter and throughly nice man

RIP

Sad news. When we set the Trust up all those many years ago he was always available to help out however he could.

RIP

Bruce was a really good constituency MP,an expert on defence matters,a supporter of NATO and a man of real compassion. In my dealings with him I found him to be honest and decent.
RIP Bruce…you have been missed in Walsall and my thoughts and prayers are with your family.

An MP who spoke up for saving QM against his own party’s policy of culling grammar schools if memory serves me correctly.

3 Likes

RIP Bruce - you did a great job representing the people of Walsall and had a very positive influence on strategic defence matters through some troubling times.

Thoughts are with your family

An M.P. who seemed happy to work and hard and look after his constituents rather than just furthering his career. RIP.

1 Like

RIP king George.
I had a beer with him Once after a game, somewhere in town (can’t remember where) he was a very interesting bloke and also shared my dislike of Bonser, which he was quite open about.
As someone else said, if labour had only a few like him they would be back in power

This is a great article about Bruce.

Many, many years ago he gave a few of us from Walsall College a tour of the Houses of Parliament including areas not readily accessible at the time.

I recall going afterwards to see Jess Roden at The Marquee when it was still in Wardour Street. Rounded off a memorable day.

For several years he was my MP and he was exceptional at it. As the article says he was ALWAYS around for his constituency surgeries unlike the buffoon I have now. (Lichfield) Irrespective of party politics, people respected Bruce because he was good at what he did, not because he showboated.

2 Likes

RIP Bruce - he was everything a Labour MP should aspire to be.
Makes me despair for the unelectable circus we have on the political left today,

1 Like

Took us QMGS fusties on our houses of Parliament tour in '77. Worked hard then as always.

1 Like

Nice article by E&S, fitting tributes from his colleagues and those who worked with him.
I wish the club would release a statement acknowledging his service to the community and his support of the club he loved.

Some of you may not agree, he was the best MP this town has ever had.

2 Likes

I agree with your last comment but Walsall North currently has a really good MP in Eddie Hughes. He may become an equal to Bruce if he lasts a few terms!

1 Like

If Labour get their act together,a big if I know,the seat will go back to Labour.