Cheltenham Town (A) Sat 28th July, 3pm

A week before the League One season gets under way, we have our final pre-season friendly at Whaddon Road against Cheltenham Town - I seem to recall going there for a similar fixture a few years ago. This game should be a real dress rehearsal for the 2018/19 campaign, so we will have an opportunity to see the kind of first XI favoured by Dean Keates. More information nearer the time…

1 Like

I think you mean this is a dress rehearsal for our 2019/20 season.

Quick roll call … who’s going to Whaddon Road on Saturday?

Well, me for a kick-off. If it’s a nice day I may even wear my “Walsall FC is for ever, not just for Wembley” T-shirt.

The certainty is that I’ll be sporting my bionic ear (cochlear implant), so I may be able to hear what’s going on. :wink:

3 Likes

Good on ya welsh :+1:

I’m going. Anyone know the pubs and parking arrangements there?

Washing my hair

1 Like

drying my bald head :laughing:

1 Like

Ground is 10-15 minute walk from the centre of town. Plenty of good boozers in the town due to that little known racing event they have every March…

Don’t know where the Camra/Real Ale places are as I tend to stick to the bog standard pubs but plenty of good choice anyway.

Tidy little ground aswell. If the worst had happened last season this is one of the few away trips I’d have looked forward to doing so liking this friendly choice very much and will be there to stop the triallist.

I’ll be going to tick it off.

Actually it’s because i’m addicted but that’s how I justify going to Cheltenham just for a pre-season friendly.

The Plough in Prestbury about 1.5 miles from the ground is the place for real ales and cider. Camra’s cider pub of the year in 2014 and 2015. They have cask ales served from a hatch with the beer poured straight from the casks behind the bar.

1 Like

The wife and I will be attending. A day out in Cheltenham plus restaurant visit was enough to lure her into watching the Saddlers for the second time this season. It would have been nice to nail down some more signings before this one.

If you look at the team selected and the bench it looks so thin even I cannot believe we are in this position with just a week to go…4 players required at a MINIMUM>

Going on pre-season minutes, Keates appears to rate Parker highly… more so than Candlin, perhaps? Parker up top with Cook again today.

Having seen the lad at Rushall for a few minutes I am not surprised…he looks a natural footballer but he will not be the answer this season unless he is a a real gem. I wish him well but I hope we don’t rush him into the team too soon.

Are brewitt and egert in defence ?

Egert is. Brewitt on the bench.

Cheltenham just missed a penalty. Egert, who is looking very shaky according to Joe Masi, brought their player down.

From the local Gloucestershire rag: Promising start, Walsall so poor at the back though

Not looking good

As others have said. If a player isnt good enough for Burton why is he good enough for Walsall.

As others have said, Burton have been a championship team for two years and are cutting down their budget and Ozzy wasn’t good enough for Peterborough, Bradshaw wasn’t good enough for Shrewsbury. Sounds like he’s having a shocker but don’t think you should write somebody off because they are released.