Clarke Out

Sorry there is only so far this “years of decline” stuff stretches. It’s absolutely true of say the last three years of Bonsers reign but it’s not the be all end of our ills and until people start holding those in charge now accountable, to the same degree they held Bonser, the decline will keep happening.

Bonser is the answer to a lot of the things that have decayed at the football club, but he didn’t sign these players. Most managers would kill for the opportunity to build a side from complete scratch with an almost blank sheet of paper. He’s not to blame for some of the things both Clarke and Pomlett have said in the press or at forums. He’s not to blame for nonsensical in game substitutions or selections to begin with.

That said, the only good thing that can come out of this is the club are shocked into actually dipping their hand into their pocket and Clarke is shocked into cutting out some of his BS and actually showing us why he has the reputation he does, as he sounded in the interview last night.

3 Likes

I agree with you on this. I have just posted on another thread I am getting bored with all this Bonser stuff. He has gone…our only relationship with him is paying the rent. The shambles last night is clearly the fault of DC and he should be held accountable.

2 Likes

I too am bored with the Bonser stuff.

But the path he set us down rings a familiarity with similar sized clubs who ended up in the fifth tier, some of whom remain stuck there.

Leigh Pomlett has never ran a football club before and Clarke is very limited. The fact we have a novice in charge and a very limited capability on the football side is and will remain entwined with the mismanagement of the last decade or so. If you think there is a better chairman out there who could afford/attract better football management capability to our club then I’m honestly all ears.

Clarke isn’t a great manager, he might not even be a good manager. Pomlett might not be a very good chairman. The mess they have chosen to inherit might be beyond their joint capability. I don’t know. But I believe that short of a seriously minted sugar daddy, we are about as good/bad as we were entitled to expect given how last season ended and the way the club has been mismanaged over many years

7 Likes

But Pomlett has been on the board for 10 years and has been a successful businessman. I don’t deny that the issues left by JB will take some sorting. Some of us on here forecast that would happen in the event of his departure…some (not me) felt the situation would be unresolvable. I think it is resolvable but it will take time and hard work by LP.
As for the team …last night was a shambles. Not for the first time we had changes in players and formations during the game. The end result was that no one seemed to know what they were doing.That is down to the Manager not LP and certainly not JB.

5 Likes

Jules in for Sadler - let’s see what he can do. I doubt whether Sadler will be here next season so why keep playing him?

Gordon and Lavery need to start every game, up front, that they are both fit. It’s the only area of the pitch where we seem to have formed some kind of partnership and look dangerous. That requires signing a right winger or playing Nolan more.

Then it’s making scraps out of the rest of it.

1 Like

I agree with a lot of that.

I’m not a fan of Clarke. He’s the epitome of modern football management in terms of over complicating and over thinking everything. Fourth division players by definition are limited so keeping it simple has to be core to everything. But I just struggle to see how we could do better just now. Might sound negative but we need to somehow turn ourselves into an attractive proposition to both attract better capability to the club and also to attract some more people from the town to engage. It is a huge task and certainly bigger than whether Adebayo for Holden is a good substitution.

3 Likes

It would be totally pointless getting rid of Clarke at this stage. This is a long term project to get the club back on track. There’s going to be a few bumps along the way, let’s face it, a huge task for anyone to take on the club in our situation.
Patience is the fey word, something a lot of us are running out of.

2 Likes

Agreed. Play the same team for a few games, start Nolan and get him match fit.

You are a utter troll

Ive saw numerious posts from you now and none talk of the games all they do is slag LP, DC and the budget

We all know where we are and what we are we dont need clowns like you poping up after every loss and giving it 10 large…

Go back too your Villa board your a proper garden tool and a even bigger troll

2 Likes

It’s not pointless if you truly believe the person in your first sentence is totally incapable of delivering your second sentence.

3 Likes

No offence, but you have cut and pasted that from your historic and intense misgivings about Dean Smith.

So Clarke has a chance of emulating Smith’s career has he?

Clarke is a make believe football Manager, who regrettably seems to know nothing about football.
His ‘recruitment’ has been pitifully dire, who amongst this squad do we supporters actually like as players? Perhaps Flash for effort and Roberts for his apparent love of Walsall F. C… Bates and Kinsella OK but won’t live in the memory for long. The rest? Meh…
The constant tinkering is the most annoying part of his so called ‘management’. How can any team play well as a unit when none of them know either each other or what their responsibilities are?
Looks as if we are stuck with him, but what I would like to know is where is the training, where is the routine or ‘coaching’ from himself and ‘his team’ that he often mentions? Most of the time our squad run around like hopelessly hungover Sunday morning players, it looks dreadful, we can’t defend we can’t attack and can’t score, blimey it can’t get much worse…can it?
Prior to this weekend we were all looking forward to 6 point haul that would have us looking up at the play off positions, what do we get? 2 defeats…heartbreaking.
Come on DC lets see some progress, after Crewe put us to the sword on Saturday that is.

1. He has won four promotions
  2. He has badges
  3. He manages to sign one good played every window (Wes in the summer, Nolan in January) so it should only take six years to get us a decent team. Be patient.
1 Like

Scunthorpe sack Hurst. Nothing much has gone right for him since Shrewsbury. Does show again success at one club isn’t always a predictor of the same at another.

4 Likes

Incredible how often that happens. Did a fantastic job at Shrewsbury, then he’s had an awful time at Ipswich and Scunthorpe.

It does make you realise just how good Smith is. Brilliant job here, moved on to Brentford and did another fantastic job, moved on to the villa, got them promoted and now taking them to Wembley.

3 Likes

Would have Deano back in a heartbeat mate if he keeps Villa up this year I’d call that a successful season.

1 Like

And Cambridge sack Calderwood, everyone from 13th down in our league has now changed managers this season…except us! Good job we know what we’re doing, unlike all those other clubs. :laughing:

3 Likes

Perhaps he could be persuaded to apply for the vacancy at Solihull Moors.He could take most of his signings with him.They would still be punching above their weight in most cases but at least would be getting nearer to the level their ability deserves.

5 Likes