Club Accounts - 2023

Thought it deserved its own thread:

1 Like

Back in profit then

Looking forward to our resident business experts and financial wizards having another round of willy-waving, whilst picking the report apart. :yawning_face:

7 Likes

1 Like

bit harsh mate. we need to understand whats going on as best we can

4 Likes

Why did you even come to the thread then? :joy:

Oh yeah, it was to have a boring pop.

5 Likes

Because I’m interested in what the club has to say.

You’ve got it, nothing to do with your post. I’ll stick with another boring pop :joy:

Ground cost in the region of £7m, just as many on here said (like myself) and not the £20m touted by others.

3 Likes

And only £1m than Geoff Dance offered 10 years ago (or more). So when accounting for inflation, it’s about the right price, JB really must have wanted to move on

3 Likes

Of which £3.8 million is a loan, the rest capital investment.

1 Like

I can’t quite work out how that £7m is amortised in the numbers. I was interested in seeing whether any mortgage repayments would be more or less than the rent.

I was expecting it to be roughly equal with benefit getting bigger Year by year as the rent was indicised.

I need another boring person to spot it.

4 Likes

I’m totally illiterate when it comes to balance sheets and annual accounts etc. can someone explain (in plain English) exactly what the accounts mean to ordinary fans please?

3 Likes

So could I. I cannot work out what the mortgage payments are from what I have seen there! All I know is that the rent we used to pay would be approaching half a million per year with the recent high inflation.

1 Like

Sorry, wouldn’t want to talk about numbers on the accounts thread (God forbid) and be accused of Willy waving :wink:

1 Like

Go on @el_nombre wave your Willy :joy:

Possibly cos, as I suspected at the time, it’s not a mortgage, it’s a loan, difference being it’s a loan to the business rather than against an asset.

I’ve only taken a moment to look at the figures, but I’m sure I spotted the loan amount in there. Similar to previous loans, I guess the yearly repayments will be summarised somewhere in the accounts

I’m sure there was a debt amount in the middle somewhere that was just over £4 million.

1 Like

It s because no depreciation is charged on the land acquired ( which is normal in accounting) but the club’s calculation of the depreciation that should be charged on the stadium is questionable. The accounting policy is that we charge a depreciation rate of 2% per annum on the stadium. As we did not own the land before it would appear we should have charged depreciation of 2% x £5.047m = £100,940 whereas we only charged £46,000 in the accounts.

The same happens with the training ground depreciation. The amount charged of £15,000 suggests that we have a 50 year lease with Essington Council based on the cost incurred on the training ground.

The depreciation charged has always been an easy way for the club to show a profit by not charging enough. They say its because the stadium/training ground is maintained to such a high standard that there is effectively no depreciation to be charged - I’ll leave those that visit the ground to measure that.

With regards the land loan there is £3.819m left on the loan at 31st May 23. Unfortunately there are two loans in existence ( including a small historic loan) so its not quite possible to be exact on the repayments. Total capital repayments on the loans look like they are £248,000pa and so I would say we have taken a loan over 20 years to repay. The company would be paying interest on the outstanding amount as well which I would estimate at £155,000 based at 4% so the capital and interest payments on the loan are roughly the same as the rent was but we are paying the capital off in that.

I have answered that as an Accountant not a CEO?

14 Likes