Colin Taylor

Colins debut was my first game,. Used to see him from the stand start to run head down and the expectancy levels went up you knew something was going to happen.
He missed the laundry for a bit we thought he lined one of the stacks as target.which when it was no longer there caused problems.
Anyone remember the penalty he took for the reserves against Arsenal in the Combination Cup Bob Wilson got nowhere near it neither did the goal it ended up on the railway nearly but we did not care no one said anything against him.

yep, definitely Colin Askey from google images - thanks! Looks like my memory about Vale was better than my memory of which Colin I’d been talking to…

2 Likes

That doesn’t surprise me, a true gent. I worked at the New Finney Gardens, which was a couple of miles from Milton I think, and he would be in on a Sunday evening with his wife and another couple. I’m glad to hear that he is still with us, to think it was 60 years ago he was playing for the Saddlers in those great teams is amazing!

I only saw Colin start a couple of games and I think I saw him come off the bench once. I wish I’d seen more of him.

Remember it well.Think they were dishing out vouchers for big cup game coming up.

About 5000 there to watch the stiffs …lol.

1 Like

SidSwifty
From what I remember of Colin Taylor,excellence isn’t a word I would use to describe his football,he was a lazy so and so,who wouldn’t last long in today’s style of everyone attacking and everyone defending,but he is still my favourite player of all time.it used to send that hum of excitement round the ground every time he got the ball.When hit a shot on target it was unstoppable.

Sid,
You are entitled to your opinion mate, but it is not one I agree with. We’ve had a lot of lazy players at Walsall over the years, Colin wasn’t one of them.However, I will agree he was not a good defender but he wasn’t paid to be, and frankly, non of the forwards defended in those days…totally different game today.
We all came to see him flying down the left flank hoping he would unleash his rocket left foot. I have never seen a ball hit harder since he was with us.

4 Likes

I found coverage of his hat trick at Bournemouth in April 1961 some years ago but also can’t find it now.

Yes I saw that once…fantastic hat trick however the film was ,I recall, very poor. If anyone can find it I would love to see it again.

Is anyone else familiar with a site uttonfromuddersfield which has memories of great matches etc. We have quite a few entries especially the 1961 game at Shrewsbury when goals by the two Colins, Taylor and Askey clinched promotion. It includes news reports and programme details. Have tried to link it here but failed. It would be good if someone could help.

http://uttonfromuddersfield.blogspot.com/

Bit hard to navigate, but some good content on there.

I also was at that game. Was hoping to get the ball as I walked back home along the Broadway …Cannot remember the score but that pen WOW not one of Colin’s finest.

1 Like

Legend is a term used all too frequently these days but from reading those posts and listening to my Dad’s recollections of Colin Taylor and his infamous shot, I think Colin deserves the title. Would have loved to have seen him play.

2 Likes

Mine too Dave.

1 Like

From the 1961-2 season.

3 Likes

Interesting to see that Colin Taylor and Keith Ball had their respective weddings on the morning and played for Saddlers in the afternoon.

1 Like

He used to live in Aldrdge. One Xmas me and my mate wearing our Walsall hats and scarfs knocked on his door after singing a carol. Told us to fcuk off. Ginger tosser !

6 Likes

Great story and thank you. But why is he kicking with his right foot?

@Laundryman Good question. Wonder if he did ever score any with his right peg?!

Occasionally he would coach our church youth club team. As a goalie I was on the receiving end of his famous canon ball shot just once. Straight at my chest I tried to hold it, only to be knocked backwards off my feet!

3 Likes

Still my all-time favorite Walsall player, there was a buzz in the crowd every time he got the ball.

6 Likes