Crewe Alexandra (A) Aug 17th, 3pm

End of the game was a different story to be fair. Everybody was clapping. I strongly suspect that was because a few of the morons that were booing (obviously at the team) had already upped and gone.

I actually thought Norman was one of our better players. Set pieces he was poor but he shouldn’t be on them anyway to be fair.

I think I’ve seen someone else querying why Norman was taking set pieces. The simple answer being that Guthrie wasn’t playing or else he’d have been on duty, and the others were either required to be targets or seen as worse than him at taking them (or else you’d think Clarke would have given the job to someone else - he was gives enough verbals from the side that Norman wouldn’t have been taking them without his approval).

Clarke either got it wrong or we don’t have enough decent set piece takers then. The deliveries were poor and that’s being kind.

But on the whole I thought he had a good game harrying down that right hand side.

He did get the free kick for our second goal right though. His quick thinking totally flatfooted their defence.

1 Like

I really hope he comes good and I think he will. The problem he has is that he has that tag of being to do with the last lot and so he won’t be afforded the patience the others get, wrongly but it’s just fact. But I back him to do well.

1 Like

Yeah I was talking more about his deliveries, that was very good.

3-0 to Larry Addlers.
Bert Llewellyn hat trick,

Anyway, back on topic …

At Northampton DC stuck with 532/352 (someone please explain the difference!) for the full 90 minutes - the subs were all more or less like for like changes. Away from home and then defending a lead so probably the formation chose itself.

I was hoping he’d go more attacking against FGR as we were at home but he stuck with the same as worked first game. It was effective at keeping them out (apart from the individual error that gave them the undeserved penalty) but less so at doing any damage at the other end. So he mixed it up with a bewildering array of changing formations until finally we got the goal we deserved.

He went back to 532 for Crawley, albeit with 3 changes and crucially neither Guthrie or Liddle (are both injured or just Guthrie?) to play the DM roll. He was pretty quick to make the treble change of positive substitutions after their second goal and we did manage to get on the front foot but not quite save the game.

Sooooo … I predict that he will again start with the same back 5 as the other league games, plus either Guthrie or Liddle depending on fitness of both. Kins and Sinclair probably nailed on too so the only discussion is on who he starts with up top - and whether it will a straight 2 or 1 target man and an attacking midfielder playing in the hole.

And we’ll persist with that for at least the first half, and then until and unless we go behind. We are only likely to see attacking substitutions if we need to chase for a goal else he will try to game manage it.

I think a few games in when the players know each other better and he has more confidence in them as a team he might begin games with more attacking intent, but until then it will be start cagey and only go gung-ho if we’re losing and not looking like getting back in the game otherwise.

Cannot wait but not really looking forward to it. Cannot get a ticket with the Saddlers so have got a box.
A view that cannot be beaten from the Director’s Box, half time buffet with tea/coffee and light refreshments.

When the final whistle goes I’ll be shouting loudly;

DC’s barmy army.
DC’s barmy army.
We’re only work in progress
DC’s barmy army.

I’m going for a hard fought 2-1 victory. Goals from Kinsella and Lavery

This will be a test.

Heart says a 119-0 win.
Head says a hard fought 1-1 draw.

119-0…even I think that is a bit optimistic even for one’s heart!!!

That’s why I don’t let my heart rule my head :smile:

Olly Lancashire CB for them now.

Can’t say rest of their side looks that threatening. Get the first goal and this is another winnable away game.

Really looking forward to this now!!

Anywhere to get a beer between the train station and the ground?

…Who the ■■■■ are you, Crewe!?

Corner Bar over the road on the corner is welcoming away fans and probably where I’ll head

Where’s everyone else thinking of drinking?

Literally right opposite the station mate, it’s all within a stones throw of the ground also.

Last time I went in there I felt the need to wipe my feet … on the way out. The only problem was half the carpet was sticking to my feet :nauseated_face:

Cheers guys! See you all tomorrow!

I can’t remember if Crewe make you sit in your allocated seat or not?

My tickets are row A. I hate sitting that low down!

Sure the last time I went it was unreserved seating but they now have given us seat numbers, very rare most Walsall fans stick tho their given seats anyway