D 1-1 vs Grimsby Town (H) - League Two - Sat 26th Aug, 3pm

We welcome The Mariners of Grimsby Town to WS1 this weekend, looking to arrest a mini-slump of form following 2 defeats and a draw snatched from the hands of victory in our last three team outings.

Our visitors arrive sitting 14th In League Two following one win, two draws, and one defeat from their league campaign thus far.

Scrolling through social media before the season Grimsby were dark horses for promotion in many people’s eyes, especially after a fantastic run in The FA Cup last season, so it will be interesting to see what materialises for them under gaffer Paul Hurst this time round.

One player with recent connections with The Saddlers is the Pakistan international winger, Otis Khan who had a very brief spell with us in the 21-22 season, scoring 2 goals in 7 appearances.

Grimsby Town’s first four league fixtures have given them the following results:

5th Aug - AFC Wimbledon (H) - Drew 0-0
12th Aug - Notts County (A) - Lost 3-2
15th Aug - Salford City (H) - Won 2-0
19th Aug - Mansfield Town (H) - Drew 1-1

Onto Mat Sadlers’ Saddlers and we need to arrest our mini slump before it becomes something bigger. No win in three across all competitions, with two losses and a draw snatched from a 2-0 lead.

We always look like scoring, but the problem being so far this season is we always look like we can, and regularly do, concede at any time.

Tom Knowles made a goalscoring return in midweek, which will be a boost to the squad, but potentially this game comes too early for him to take a place in the starting XI leaving Joe Foulkes deputising at RWB again.

On the striker front, Messrs Draper and Johnson have potential to work very well, but it is a little frustrating that they keep being subbed off together for Matt and Oteh - does anyone else get this?

Looking at the starting XI, who should make the cut? Presuming we play 3-5-2, who is in your team?

Hopefully we manage to take the three points like we did last time out in the league at home, fingers crossed. A defeat here and those early season knives will be getting sharpened a bit more by some fans!

Score predictions?

Walsall vs Grimsby Town - Match Result
  • Walsall Win
  • Draw
  • Grimsby Town Win

0 voters

2 Likes

Going to batter them 5:4

Draper to ‘chip’ in with two goals

An exciting 3-2 game providing further joy for the Saddlers faithful in front of a slightly disappointing crowd of under 5k.

The fall in crowd turning out to be attributable to a combination of some discerning fans opting to watch Gillingham and other even more discerning fans watching reruns of Serie A Catenaccio masterclasses from the late 1970s.

1 Like

As good as we’ve looked going forward, I can’t yet back us for any wins until I see us tighten things up at the back. I’ll go with another 2-2 draw in front of 5488.

To be fair if the crowd is low at least it will be quality over quantity with less of those who aren’t true supporters.

4 Likes

I’ll go 3 1 with a couple from DJ.

Hopefully a 2-1 win for us

5-3 so I’m not bored.

1 Like

I think that is a little optimistic so I will go 3-2 to the Saddlers.

2-0 to the Saddlers, DJ x2

1-0 Win with McEtee headed corner, 65% possession and 1 shot on target.

Get those fans with Gillingham FOMO a reason to leave happy.

I think its mostly fitness and the ability to gain strength through depth. Oteh has looked really useful as an impact sub, Blackburn, Brighton and my guess is we will see much better from Matt in upcoming games.

DJT however looks lively against brighton and I suspect needs a goal to realise his potential… its definitely there!

1 Like

Saddlers 2 (Draper; DJ) Grimsby 4 with two goals in added time. No doubt we will have played extremely well again.

Hard fought game.7 - 7 at half time.Good subs from MS but alas we weaken and lose 11-10 from a goal 5 minutes into injury time.We move on to next game.

1 Like

2-1 WIN, i don’t trust our ability to keep a clean sheet, but i do believe we have a good attacking forward line

1 Like

4-2 draper x2, DJ, and Matt :eyes:

1 Like

It’s got 0-0 written all over it. Until injury time at least.

1 Like
28 Likes

Good stuff…well done to the organisers of this.

6 Likes