D 1-1 vs Sutton United (H) - League Two - Sat 27th Jan, 3pm

I love a buzzing undercroft. Will also be popping into the Locker for a ride on the bucking bronco

Probably over cooked and burnt if you buy it from one of the kiosks in the stadium :smile:

Weā€™re playing bottom but one league team who had a great result last night , weā€™ve had too much time off , 1-1 for me not an easy match this one :thinking:

1 Like

Thatā€™s why we wonā€™t get in the playoffs.

Much in the vein of my thoughts prior to the FG game, this is actually the wrong time to be playing Suttonā€¦ā€¦ā€¦I hope Iā€™m wrong this time.

2 Likes

Leading up to last weekā€™s called off game against Accrington, I was wondering whether or not Sadler would make any changes up top.

Coming into it, DJT had just scored in back to back league games, and DJ had earned his start against Stockport with his contribution as sub at Grimsby (Iā€™m discounting Southampton as any sort of yardstick). Gordon J had arrived in time to make the squad for Stockport, but did he do enough when he came on to displace DJ in the starting XI (prior to that game he hadnā€™t played for a month, and had hardly set the world on fire at Burton before that)? Weā€™d only just taken on Faal (same as Gordon the week before) so my guess was heā€™d be on the bench with either Gordon or perhaps DJ - and whichever one wasnā€™t would be partnering DJT.

For Sutton though Iā€™m not so sure. Faal was playing regularly and scoring at Doncaster, and now both he and Gordon have trained with the rest of the team a bit, and been able to show Sadler what they can do against the incumbents.

So now Iā€™m more leaning towards it being more likely a Gordon/Faal front line with both DJ and DJT relegated to the bench. Or will Sadler keep the faith with our own players over the loanees? :thinking:

Going forward, with none of the options now available being a direct replacement for Draper who made a decent fist of it, my bet is that we wonā€™t see a return to 1-up-top any time soon - but will the 4 (5 if/when Matt returns - make that 6 with Oteh who Sadler said might be back for Sutton) be mix and match, or will they be 2 (or 3) separate partnerships? Or even 2 front 3s! :hushed:

Options, options, and more options (which canā€™t be a bad thing :grin:).

1 Like

Not a fan but surely after 2 in 2 djt has earnt the right to start ?

4 Likes

Hope he does play djt and Faal donā€™t like the idea of playing two loanees up front when we have our own players if they give it a good go for 65-70 minutes we can bring on dj and Gordon think that sounds about right for me

1 Like

The loanees are ours for the duration. Theyā€™re Walsall.

Would you rather Draper had been given cameo roles?

Not a real fan of loan players despite Barnsleyā€™s successful implementation of them in their promotion year. Look at how our season collapsed when DJ had to return to the Stags.
Exile says they are Walsall, no they are not, they are being loaned to us for a duration (look at the word) and shouldnā€™t always be relied upon, it gives a false impression and usually gaping holes when they return to their parent club.
It looks as if we have made some better choices this year compared to those that have materialised in recent years, but lets not get over reliant, remember, they wonā€™t be here next season!
Sutton improving, drew 1-1 at the Stags (tee hee), could be a more difficult game than would have been expected from a club stuck in a relegation spot. Think we will win, but only just, probably 1-0.

1 Like

No not at all he at least played with a walsall striker i.e Matt dj djt and I donā€™t think faal will play as a cameo striker either but Iā€™d rather he used our contracted players as well or it could spell trouble somewhere down the line

1 Like

Just pure speculation on my part, but Iā€™d expect Faalā€™s loan deal to contain the words first choice or at the very least regular starter in it.

When George Miller was on loan he would often shoot when the pass was the better option. Loan players are more prone to act in their own interests rather than the teams interests.

2 Likes

That was just poor decision making in my opinion, which is one of the reasons why he isnā€™t quite up to it, although he did a decent enough job for us. The lad ran himself into the ground every game he played, I donā€™t think it was a case of him looking after his own interests.

My view on it is you pick the best team available, whether they are on loan or contracted to us, loans are part of the game especially at our level. In a few of our promotion seasons loan signings have helped us a lot. At least we are signing some potentially worth while loan players now.

6 Likes

Faal has not come here to sit on bench signed as direct replacement for Draper . If he doesnā€™t start against Sutton will get a run as sub probably halftime if needed or later .think he will start DJT and JG

The loan players are presumably ā€œoursā€ until the end of the season, therefore Iā€™m happy for them to be first choice over players with contracts, if they benefit the team and help get positive results.
Up to everyone to fight for their shirt.
Every chance Gordon could sign up on a longer term basis in the summer.

4 Likes

Johnson wonā€™t be available for a while, heā€™s broken his toe.

1 Like

So no DJ Saturday broken toe, but Matt and Riley could be back with Tierney so bench should be stronger
But who starts up top

Gordon and Faal for me

1 Like

I really unsure but DJT recent scoring performance makes a claim, but the pace of DJT and Faal could be useful late on against a trieing defence, but Matt could help in a physical battle as could Joshā€™s work rate.
:person_shrugging::person_shrugging::person_shrugging: