D 1-1 vs Tranmere Rovers (A) - League Two - Sat 14th Jan, 3pm

Trust me ive had this illness the last week and understand

1 Like

Yeah it’s almost like they’re two young inexperienced players playing in a league and a team that really doesn’t suit their skill set and some days they’re better than others and on other days they struggle to deal with the ball being off the pitch or in the air for 70% of the time :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

All attacking players, no matter their position, always work on the margin left by the opponent defence. If that margin is small, the game can be seen as meh. It doesn’t mean they are weak players. The opponent made them look that way. Another game they will be better.

2 Likes

DJ makes a point

I didn’t watch the match nor follow it yesterday as I was out with family, but I have just caught up with posts and watched the highlights.

I believe a point away from home is always a positive, especially at a place like Prenton Park. This is supported more by Flynn’s comments saying illness hit the squad this week.

Not quite sure what Monthe was thinking tbh, Flynn even said the same. He only has himself to blame for a silly 2nd yellow, it now gives another player the chance to come in and make a claim for a place. Evans was then at fault for the goal, but like most of the team, they make these odd mistakes and this is the reason they’re L2 atm and not higher. The amount of points both Monthe and more so Evans have earnt/saved us this season so far makes up for their error in judgement.

A good week of training, Matt having a full week with his new team mates, the prospect of more signings and DJ (possibly) signing are other positives to take into the Swindon game next Saturday. This is a game I fully expect us to win ane continue our good run of form.

Like others have said, one defeat since October, to go with all of the other positive events that have happened thus far make me one happy and excited Saddler to see what the next few months will bring. UTS.

2 Likes

Prenton Park is always a tough place to go. Despite our superb recent form, with all the distraction if our glamour FA Cup tie to look forward to I’d have been delighted with a point before the game. Only seen the highlights, will catch up with our lot at the debrief later but the directness of our play is really causing opposition problems. A superb goal kick, flick on and lovely finish from DJ.

Best thing about those highlights? Our fans with the always-fresh “ooooooooh - you’re shit, aaaaaaaah” banter with their goalie and his kick.

Yes and for that the team can take the blame going back to that style especially in that wind and for only picking one striker who is not a target man. Only improved when Williams on. Tranmere played it around way more. Theyll both probably play better next time and thats my point.

You can still see why some of our players are at league 2 level
Evans and monthe showing it there
Monthe has all the physical attributes to play a lot higher but doesn’t have the intelligence
Evans is just your usual league 2 goalkeeper, good shot stopper on instinct , ok distribution, mistake prone and not the most comfortable in the air
Still good point away from home though can’t moan at that

1 Like

I would of taken a point at the start to be honest.

Monthe will be a big miss next week so how did Low do when he came on?

Didn’t look all that comfortable to be honest but could have been rustiness

2 Likes

Ok. Big bloke. That’s about it but didn’t have long gave away a foul or two. I’ll be honest it’s only this morning I realised it wasn’t mcentee

1 Like

If you were McEntee, would you have been frustrated seeing Low come on ahead of you, given you are a contracted player and played the other week, playing quiet well?
Maybe he was one of the ill players this week so Flynn didn’t want to risk him if he didn’t have to.

When we had the three at the back, Low went RCB and White moved to LCB either side of Daniels. How will it look next game, I wonder - would you play McEntee at LCB (is he left footed?) and have White back on the other side of Daniels or does Low start?

1 Like

I’d start with McEntee next week on the left side

2 Likes

What we will miss against Swindon is Monthe’s pace. Neither McEntee nor Low looks quick.

I do wonder if Flynn might switch to a back 4 for that game. One problem yesterday was that the midfield was not creative enough with Hutchinson barely in the game first-half. Maybe 442
Evans
Wilmott Daniels While Gordon (or Allen)
Knowles Hutchinson Kinsella Maddox (or Gordon)
Matt DJ(T)

Hope not, we’ve gone on this extremely good run because we’ve stuck with a system and the players know their roles.

I’d just make a like for like change in McEntee and bring in Matt to partner DJ if we can sign him this week.

4 Likes

After watching those highlights it’s safe to say we threw 3 points away.Monthe always relies on his strength and he does have a heart in mouth moment(now and again) when doing exactly what he did yesterday in fact we’ve spoke about it before on here only yesterday it didn’t work.Also have to say it looks like Evans could have done more with that free kick it looks like it goes through his hands(didn’t have my specs on when watching though).Manny has been excellent this season but he certainly should have dealt with that as well as the keeper not covering himself in glory with both the red card incident and the resulting free kick.

2 Likes

Technically 2 points😏

2 Likes

Yeah, i’d agree. Stick to what works and is plan A where possible and play white, Daniels, mcentee as a 3 with the wing backs.

1 Like