D 1-1 vs Tranmere Rovers (A) - League Two - Sat 14th Jan, 3pm

Yeah, i’d agree. Stick to what works and is plan A where possible and play white, Daniels, mcentee as a 3 with the wing backs.

1 Like

No way were 3 points thrown away.Tranmere were the better side.

1 Like

1-0 up with 20 to go and making the mistakes we did after we scored regardless of how Tranmere played up until that point is throwing points to me.If they’d have opened us up with a bit of quality play etc that’d be different.I’d have taken a point beforehand don’t get me wrong but we could have protected that lead better in my opinion.

1 Like

That Tranmere equaliser was almost totally down to Owen Evans. Firstly, he came out of his goal too far and too soon. He got in Monthé’s way and prevented him from getting in a clean tackle and, then, from the resulting free-kick, he let the ball through his hands. Poor goalkeeping on two counts.

That said, Tranmere were the better team and would have felt justly aggrieved had we sneaked away with all 3 points (as we all hoped we would!).

3 Likes

You mean they’d have felt like we did when they robbed us with a winner 6 minutes into 5 added at out place back in September?

1 Like

Having just watched the extended highlights on iFollow, I can confirm that Monthe did take out Tranmere’s 27 in the build up by bumping him in the back with his shoulder and knocking him to the floor (just outside the area) - and it was this that the lino was flagging for. But what Manny did was no worse (and probably in retribution for) what the same player did to Comley only seconds before that the lino seems to have conveniently missed.

So maybe the first yellow was appropriate for s deliberate pysh? Then again, it was nowhere near as bad as what their bloke in the headband did to Maddox when the ball was already out of play. Given what happened to that lad at Bath City, he’s lucky he wasn’t seriously injured after being shoved into the hoardings. And it wasn’t the only time he was on the receiving end of some rough housing and afters from their players on and off the ball.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but if the officials aren’t doing their job properly and fairly then unfortunately it does lead to players taking matters into their own hands when they see the opposition getting away with stuff.

Manny’s second card is more debatable. As has been said, he wasn’t helped by Evans charging out which prevented him making a back pass or clearance as he tries to shepherd the ball back for Evans to deal with. As he is doing that, it looks like their forward instead of going for the ball throws his leg across and between Manny’s so he’s caught up and “fouled”. Manufactured more like as Monthe made no attempt to play the ball or the man, he’s just running back with his body still between the two. Giving it as a foul was harsh, a card doubly so.

3 Likes

Seems people missed the Morris foul towards the end of the game, straight red all day if your sending Monthe off.

I agree, Monthe was in front of the striker, so it would be pretty difficult to bring him down. Clever play from the striker who sold the foul to the ref in my opinion.

Didn’t MF say that the first yellow for Manny the striker was standing on his foot and he pushed him off. Tranmere/footballs dark arts

He may have been - but he’d already manhandled Comley to the floor to get past him before he got up to Monthe. Manny leant into him and he went down like a sack of spuds waving his arm at the lino. Most definitely dark arts.

Professional footballers are schooled in cheating almost from the cradle if you ask me. Watch any game and you’ll see numerous examples of shirt pulling, feigning head injuries to break up play, falling/diving after no contact tackles and so on. Along with money flooding the top teams it has ruined football as a fair contest.

4 Likes

Yes, I just had another look at the highlights. That must be the unluckiest sending off of the season. Neither was a foul, let alone a booking. For the first, the linesman was behind Monthe and could not see what happened. And, for the second, the forward just got entangled and fell over.

I would like to know why Turnbull’s physical assault on Maddox with the ball out of play was not a red card.

I thought it should have been too. The problem is that because the ref gave him a yellow at the time, it won’t get video reviewed and the correct punishment meted out. If he’d given him nothing at all it could have been.

And ditto Manny’s red was 2 (harsh) yellows so he can’t appeal like he could if it was a straight red.

Both those rules/processes have needed changing for ages.

1 Like

100% red

1 Like

I’m not even sure Monthe would have been penalised for a foul 9 times out 10 for the second yellow.

Home decision that one.

At least he gets a rest before Leicester…

I might be in a minority but I would rather win Saturday than against Leicester if I had to choose.

Not to say we can’t win both of course! He will be a big miss Manny, as we saw when he missed all those games last season.

3 Likes

With the weather forecast as it is, Manny might be missing Wimbledon not Swindon. We really could do without yet another game to rearrange though.

So would I.

He will. We will miss his pace.

Back in the day, suspensions were for a time, not a number of matches. Over Christmas, a week might be 3 games. In a spell of bad weather, none at all!

The Walsall Senior Cup game at Tividale tonight has been called off due to a frozen pitch. It’s going to remain cold until the weekend so how likely is it our game against Swindon will be called off?

BTW Is it a yellow warning for snow, or a warning for yellow snow? :thinking: