Darlington (H) 9th Nov, 3pm. F.A.Cup 1st round

True - that’ll teach me to skim read.

1 Like

That move to the fabulous Reynolds Arena must have been a dream come true for Darlington fans. What a huge shame they had to vacate so soon after the move. I see Darlo Rugby club purchased it for £2M. Does make me wonder where the value is in us renting the dreadful Bescot for 500k pa. How many fans moved into their new grounds and on first glance said ’ F me this is xxxx’? Only Walsall fans I would think.

1 Like

You said that before Swindon.

A place to get yer oats!

A bit of positivity - anyone know what number ball we’ll be in next Monday’s 2nd round draw?

I have to agree after watching home and away like you I think the big Cup Shock would be if we won.

Welsh, you’re a decade out with Mark Prudhoe, he played in the mid eighties. I think he replaced Steve Cherry, but might be wrong. He was decent though, and always had a good reception when he played at Bescot. As well as Darlo, I think I’ve seen him play for York?

And as for Darlo being in form, we’m Walsall ay we. The time to really worry is when we play a team who have lost eight in a row. No point in turning up then. A team in form? No problem! :rofl:

Predicting the score is one thing, but the real question is, how many changes will the Tinkerman make this week? Changes to both personnel and formation, that is.

1 Like

I stand corrected - Mark was with us 1986-87, playing 31 games. Whilst with us he was loaned out to Doncaster Rovers (5 appearances), Sheffield Wednesday (0 apps), Grimsby Town (8 apps), Hartlepool Utd (13 apps) and Bristol City (3 apps). He then moved on to Carlisle Utd for a couple of years before going to Darlington. A much-travelled goalkeeper, appearing for 17 clubs in all.

So, the days when players who couldn’t make our first team were good enough to be loaned out to other league teams. :smiley:
I presume he lost his place because we signed Fred Barber.

Comfortable 2-0 win.

For whom??? :thinking:

1 Like

Thats for you to decide…

Nah I think we will win this 2-0. First half goals then not much else.

3-0 to the good guys

According to Darlington message board

“Just noticed that the Walsall link earlier in the thread said the only player connection between the clubs was Mark Prudhoe but I think they overlooked Fred Barber, who started his goalkeeping career with us and later played for Walsall.” and " “Julian Joachim played for Walsall the season before we signed him.
Bertrand Bossu left us for Walsall. We had Taiwo Atieno (nope, me neither) on loan from Walsall in 2005/6. Ron Hewittt was signed from Walsall in 1950. Jimmy O’Neill came to us from Australia in 1967. His previous English club was Walsall. Nathan Jameson (DFC 2005/6) came to us from Durham City having previously played for Walsall.”

1 Like

Agreed. However it would have helped if Darlington’s Wiki page had a list of such players - all League clubs’ Wiki pages contain that information but all Darlington’s had was the “All-time” XI selected by the supporters, which included Mark Prudhoe.

Much as I enjoy preparing the preview screeds there is a limit to the depths of my researches, particularly when I’m moving house next week…

Oh, and if we’re being picky I should ask “Who was Ron Hewittt”???

:wink:

5 Likes

Tai Atieno was a big strong young centre forward who came on as sub a couple of times under Merson. I don’t remember him starting a game but he might have done. Had a bit of promise, but I suppose they all have that.
Nathan Jameson, though, I’m drawing a total blank.

1 Like

How many these gonna bring Saturday you reckon 700-800??

Come on now Welsh, it’s bad enough that the team are underperforming, without yow starting :wink:

1 Like

Indeed, anyone would think he remembers none of the eight games Ron Hewitt played on loan for us in 1949. :laughing:

3 Likes