Darrell Clarke confirmed as manager

Enough to make such a call? No chance.

Whose saying that? He knows the budget. He believes he can coach and wheel deal his way back to league one. Like he managed at B Rovers. Hope heā€™s right, like I said.

Heā€™s hardly going to turn down the job is he? If he succeeds heā€™s done a great job and massively increased his profile. If he doesnā€™t heā€™ll move onto his next club and we go round the cycle again.

Probably John Ward influence. First window it can have rather big impact, later it will be Clarkeā€™s doing. And why him? Few years ago they were working in the same club. I only hope it wonā€™t be relegation this time.

Yep. I want everyone to listen to the podcasts linked on here where he is interviewed. He wanted the next job to be right, he had turned down two jobs during the season at the time of the interview. He has done as much homework (probably more) on us as a club than we will have done on him.

He talked about how he would only go to a club where everybody is singing off the same hymn sheet and wants the same as him. I can imagine his interview ended up being more like him interviewing us!

10 Likes

Wow just listened to it, he sounds miles ahead of our previous appointments. Very inspiring listening to him talk football.

Clearly there was plenty of interest in him, god knows how we pulled this one off!

2 Likes

Some players will have moves lined up anyway so would reject new contracts as weā€™ve seen in previous years.

If Leahy flukes another league 1 club I can see him somewhere like Sloppies or Oxford. Devlin might go back to highlands of Scotland etc.

Budget, its a major concern of course but its also an easy excuse.

He knows exactly what he is walking into, he doesnā€™t seem stupid or desperate enough to not know. Some managers know how to use it. Id like to see us go back to a squad of 14/15 good players and surely we can fill out the rest by giving youth a chance. We have had bigger squads over the last 3/4 years and most of them have ended up being guff.

Lets be honest realistically we cant compete with Bradford or Plymouth or even Scunthorpe for budgets. We get 3.5 every week. They will be getting double.

5 Likes

Yes thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping for also. Another point is it wonā€™t be lost on any manager like Clarke who is forward thinking and ambitious, just where Dean Smith is now having taken over Walsall at a very low ebb. Walsall in the fourth division historically offers a reasonable opportunity for success, by my reckoning only one manager in our history managing us at that level has failed to get us promoted, and even he got us in the play-offs! I can fully understand why he sees us as a good fit for his next shot at management, and Iā€™m delighted heā€™s here. Reading what the Rovers fans are writing about him reminds me of how I felt when Buckley was sacked, and then a few years later he lead Grimsby to two promotions and trips to Wembley while we went the way we did.

3 Likes

Itā€™s almost certain that Bradford will walk away with the 4th Division title next year, they have gates of 13K upwards even when they are bottom of the league! (To this day I cannot fathom how they failed to win against Wimbledon on that last day!).
Agree with Latvian about the squad, we need 13/14/15 first teamers, (it would appear DC likes to change formation on occasions) that can be relied upon to give 110% in every match, win or lose, a trait that was so sadly lacking this past season.

3 Likes

The Bradford supporters I know are convinced that they are heading for the conference. Where have I heard that before?

Even if they did, they would still manage to beat any Walsall team 4-0!

1 Like

Glass completely empty as usual.

1 Like

Very full currently thank you, thought I was supposed to be the moaning git? Lighten up, itā€™s a forum, we might do very well next season, but when we play at Valley Parade (or whatever they call it currently) What do you think will happen? Be honest for a change, it might suit, you never know!

You think we will lose everley game 4-0. I donā€™t. That is the difference between us. Lighten up.

2 Likes

Thats because our board donā€™t have the first idea how to grow the fan base. We canā€™t compete in Division 4 when we turn profit every year and our chairman feathers his nest even further?

Why do so many fans swallow this nonsense hook, line and sinker??

5 Likes

Are you Chinese Holbeachā€¦ā€œeverley ā€œ :u5408::u7981::grinning:

Curses. Found out. Iā€™d have got away with itā€¦

1 Like

What`s happened to the protests against Bonser?

If it wasnā€™t for those pesky kids :rofl:

1 Like

Doesnā€™t matter who comes in

This club is fundamentally broken

Mole and gamble need to go now

Bonser needs to sell now

2 Likes